Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Thoughts on Adamantine  (Read 6426 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Adamantine
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 08:58:58 pm »

blades transmit nearly no force back to the wielder, practically doubling the force applied to the target.

Wait, what?

Sorry, but even in DF...

No.
Just, No.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 08:59:44 pm »

Redacterated for doublepostiness.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:11:50 pm by Dwarf »
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 09:00:55 pm »

I have a negative amount of lego blocks.

See the failure in that? YOU MAKE NO SENSE.
The wizard did it.

Some its made of some kind of negative matter or something?
Wizard.

The "Island of Stability" theory does not involve negative subatomic particles; even wikipedia could tell you that. It illustrates that there might be some elements even larger/heavier than the ones we've synthesized that are actually stable. They're still trying to reach that point, and striving for it has created all the elements beginning with "U" at the bottom of the table.

WIZARD!

You guys do know I wasn't being serious, right? It was a silly theory about a silly metal with silly properties.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 09:03:02 pm »

We can still go as far as information resources allow, besides, it's fun to work on this kind of stuff like it could actually be real. And in Dwarf Fortress, you don't get "a wizard did it" on purpose, even magic will make sense in conjunction with all the generalized physics.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:04:42 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 09:03:14 pm »

@Dwarf: DP'ed please try not to do that again.

@RNG: I thought it was something like that.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 09:11:05 pm »

Yeah sorry bout that.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 09:39:18 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_nuclides_(combined)#Isotopes_for_elements_105-118

Maybe the theoretical island is an isotope of a known element that has been unattainable so far?

There is a long line of stability, and it does appear to change it's angle at one point, so maybe at some point it jumps up or down, off the table?
Eh?
Eh!

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2010, 01:02:38 am »

blades transmit nearly no force back to the wielder, practically doubling the force applied to the target.

Wait, what?

Sorry, but even in DF...

No.
Just, No.

I'm no physicist, but I believe you transmit energy from yourself into whatever you're swinging at a goblin (sword, hammer, cabinet) and when said item strikes the target, only some of the energy you expended swinging the weapon will be transmitted away from it (into flesh).  The rest of it manifests as sound energy (*CLANG*) or will be rebounded back into your hand, it's why you feel a jolt when you smack something (just as how it's not the fall that will kill you, but the ground.  all the energy of falling from a great height is suddenly transmitted back into your entire body and you explode into chunks from trying to absorb all that energy at once).  According to this theory, if you were to drop a block of adamantine into the ground, it would most likely sink quite far into it, despite being so light.

not sure exactly, but I think that this fact might conflict with the fact that it makes good armor, just a gut feeling though...
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2010, 01:21:08 am »

Someone once calculated the density of Adamantine, of course making a few assumptions about the volume of different objects, like blocks, ect. (Perfectly reasonable assumptions, however.) Adamantine was about as dense as a thick gas.

So, I think it's been established that we're dealing with fanciful metals...
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2010, 01:39:22 am »

My physics hurts.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2010, 04:52:21 am »

Wait, what?

Sorry, but even in DF...

No.
Just, No.

I'm no physicist, but I believe you transmit energy from yourself into whatever you're swinging at a goblin (sword, hammer, cabinet) and when said item strikes the target, only some of the energy you expended swinging the weapon will be transmitted away from it (into flesh).  The rest of it manifests as sound energy (*CLANG*) or will be rebounded back into your hand, it's why you feel a jolt when you smack something (just as how it's not the fall that will kill you, but the ground.  all the energy of falling from a great height is suddenly transmitted back into your entire body and you explode into chunks from trying to absorb all that energy at once).  According to this theory, if you were to drop a block of adamantine into the ground, it would most likely sink quite far into it, despite being so light.

not sure exactly, but I think that this fact might conflict with the fact that it makes good armor, just a gut feeling though...

If you are following teh pheesics, the exact same amount of force hitting the enemy will also go in the opposite direction. If you apply 1000 N on a gobbo, 1000 N will come back at your sword or whatever. Being made out of Clownite won't change that.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2010, 06:04:08 am »

unless it does change just that!
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2010, 09:02:16 am »

If you have a super incredibly sharp thing, you are **NOT** applying 1000N on the goblin.  You may be applying some force to the sword when you start swinging it, but hey, big deal, that's normal.  But if your sword is sharp enough, thin enough, and swung with sufficient high skill, it'll go nearly straight through the goblin without pausing along its way...not bouncing, and not applying any force back on you.

...That's a little more than we can ask for, though, even from this super-metal.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2010, 02:24:58 pm »

But if your sword is sharp enough, thin enough, and swung with sufficient high skill, it'll go nearly straight through the goblin without pausing along its way...not bouncing, and not applying any force back on you.

Newton's Third Law: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." The reactive force is  there. It is what causes the sword to slow down once you start cutting through the goblin.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2010, 03:04:22 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:36:58 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4