I work with the rocks
- 12 (8.5%)
Who needs a fortress!
- 3 (2.1%)
Multiple
- 20 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Design Poll  (Read 1958 times)

Pasakoye

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for SCAMPS
    • View Profile
Fortress Design Poll
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:24:58 pm »

Do you design you fortresses symmetrical with even sides?
Asymmetrical or just build as you need?
Even grid rooms, so rooms and hallways are easy to map out?
Or do you go with the rocks, shaping your fortress as you find stone/ore?

I do even grids, what do you do?
I play as elves.
What the f*ck is wrong with you?
DF doesn't have a learning curve. It has a sheer cliff face. And you have to climb it with nothing but a keyboard.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Design Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:25 pm »

Who needs a fort? Everything but beds are outside unprotected. The main barracks is a large underground complex of bed after bed for my dwarves to sleep in. YEE, SUHN.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:30:34 pm »

I used to do even grid rooms, which worked pretty well, but I made it prettier and neater with the design I have now, which is symmetrical on the x and y axes, and fits neatly into one embark tile.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:17:25 am »

I build with the lay of the land.  Obviously, this only really works with mountains, but I like my cliff faces, and it's interesting to have to reshape my larger noble rooms to fill in the spaces.

It's even more neat, since my current fort has mountain "spires" that are sort of detached from the rest of the more plateau-like mountain (which make natural towers, with my queen's and countess's window-covered throne rooms and dining rooms (respectively, I put my countess's throne room lower down, with her bedroom) at the highest floors of two spires, surveying the land beneath), and my embark point has very steep cliff faces.

I only cut the surface of the land for enterances and for making a greenhouse.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:21:17 am »

Plan?  I dig out stairwells with hallways running off them, then whenever I need a room I dig it off of one of the hallways.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:25:10 am »

I went with 'I build as I need,' but the option I wanted wasn't there. I never do the same style twice - so effectively none of these apply to me. I go from structured and symmetrical to intentionally loose and improvised, depending on whether it suits the mood of the fort or not.

Pasakoye

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for SCAMPS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:30:53 am »

I went with 'I build as I need,' but the option I wanted wasn't there. I never do the same style twice - so effectively none of these apply to me. I go from structured and symmetrical to intentionally loose and improvised, depending on whether it suits the mood of the fort or not.

"I build as I need" Can be used for multiple types for now. If I can edit the poll without losing votes I'll add a "Multiple".

Edit: Added, not sure if you can change your vote though.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:33:41 am by Pasakoye »
I play as elves.
What the f*ck is wrong with you?
DF doesn't have a learning curve. It has a sheer cliff face. And you have to climb it with nothing but a keyboard.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 02:45:26 am »

I tend to go for rotationally symmetrical and large fractal-based designs with little rooms and alcoves or the occasional district here and there to break the patterns.

I'm trying to teach myself more and more to build as I need and go completely assymetrical, to allow a more organic design, but it's hard.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 06:59:02 am »

I always try to build with the landscape, since I think an awesome fortress should look awesome to the traders and invaders that come visiting. It should also look awesome to the dwarves living in it.

Because of this I always look for interesting embark sites, and I cannot fathom settling on a flat plane and making my entrance a hole in the ground.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:12:17 am »

I usually have a temporary starting hole somewhere, and open up a grand 'main gate' later then wall off the old one and turn it into an enclosed park. The main gate should look like a Masterpiece work of engineering, lined with the halls of our dwarven ancestors, murals of our defeated foes, and built in with water/magma traps to destroy all those who would -dare- trespass upon the might of Dwarven Intellect.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:53:17 am »

My forts so far have displayed organic development. I plan a few things, and then it grows so I plan some more, et cetera. Mixed in with that are some highly spiffy symmetrical constructions, like my housing complex, but on the whole it's highly chaotic.

Might try a rigidly fractal one next time though.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:53:17 pm »

I build as I need but it usually consists of the one giant central staircase method.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 01:19:32 pm »

Planning is undwarvenly. You move as the mountain moves.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 01:42:22 pm »

I'm not sure these options are dissimilar enough to choose just one.

I went with "I work with the rocks", but technically could have gone with the second option since I do build on an as-needed basis. Usually everything gets built into/around the terrain. If I find gem or ores, I build things around them. Most veins end up as hallways.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 01:49:06 pm »

I just chose multiple. I think of a "theme" I want for the fortress, lay out a basic, pre-designed sketch, then just build as I need.

For example: Last fort I dug a massive revers-pyramid into the ground (four sided slanted pit, basically) and then build rooms into the sides of each layer.

The fort before that, I found a concave hill (like a crescent) and then dug into the side, making a sort of ring fortress.

Generally, I try to make each room symmetrical and geometrically beautiful, or even design rooms to look like their purpose (a metal smelting center will look very blocky, rigid, etc. hard to describe what I mean). Sometimes, though, I'll go for a more cobbled-together look, and just build room in all sorts of organic and random shapes. I still try to make them look cool, just more about a spur-of-the-moment architecture design.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
Pages: [1] 2