Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Redoubt; The Granite Bullwark of Dwarfendom {Community Fort}  (Read 2221 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Redoubt; The Granite Bullwark of Dwarfendom {Community Fort}
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:19:08 pm »

We are at a brief peace with the human and elven empires.  We even have a temporary truce with most of the goblinoids in the area, leaving we dwarves with only the wilderness to contend with.  This peace will not last, and while in the past we have rebuilt our wealth and spread our trade, we have learned the hard lessons of such folly.  During this peace we will prepare for war in a way that no dwarf has before.

Before his untimely death, our great King demanded we create a bastion...a bullwark against which the waves of the armies of the world would smash harmlessly and from which experienced marksdwarves would pepper them with death, and from which our brave champions would sally forth to slay them all.  Our engineers have worked hard to design such a thing, and we are now gathering the supplies neccesary to create it.  Unfortunately, political jokeying has broken out so what we can send is limited, and our cause must be secret until the fortress is established, so the King's dying wish can become reality without being a tool to be manipulated by political forces.

OOC:

Looking for six dorfs to help build a fortress with a massive above-ground portion.  There will be some good story to this fort, so I'd appreciate characters with personalities and encourage "journal" responses to what I've written. 

As always this is a military fort, and while not in the line of my previous ones, war will compose a major portion of the story.

Almost forgot:

Need:

Name:
Equipment:

you have 150 points to spend on equipment I will be bringing a few niceties like at least one axe and at least one pick, so don't worry about those.  Extra points will be going towards supplies, seeds, etc.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:22:32 pm by dresdor »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Redoubt; The Granite Bullwark of Dwarfendom {Community Fort}
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:26:59 pm »

Name:100killer9
Skills:5 marksdwarf/5 ambusher
Equipment: Four dogs, two cats, a barrel of 10 of his preferred drink (or beer if he has none), and 15 logs. How much do I have left then?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »

Name: Mr. Brown
Skills: 5 Brewer, 5 Cook
Equipment: Pour all 150 into as much Dwarven Rum as possible.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:32 pm »

Overlord:
Macedwarf/wrestler
Spend my points on as good a mace as you can.
I shall defend our fledgling fort with all I have.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:00:36 pm »

Ill join up.
Emen Unomidar
Ill take a copper pick and 4 dogs.
Butcher/Miner/Animal Trainer.(spend all evenlly if can.)
Use the rest of the points for whatever we will need.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Zore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »

Name: Zore
Skills: 5 Masonry, 5 Mining
Equipment:Two dogs, a copper pick, and then split between a bunch of turtles and seeds.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:04:53 pm »

Sign me up.

Name: Diablous
Mechanic/Seige Engineer
I bring wood and bauxite if we can.
Sex: Don't care.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:53:14 am »

Name: ungulateman
Skills: Carpenter / Animal Trainer
Equipment: Dogs.

I'll show 'em yet!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:18:24 am »

Ungulateman, you'll have to wait for our first immigrant wave.  Everyone else is good.  I will be starting and posting for this fort later today.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 06:39:11 pm »

Unfortunately we only have two males at this time.  I will commandeer one of the females as the leader of the group.

I was nice about some of your items, giving more points than I should have, but all in all we are well set up.  If you have any preferences for what you’d like your dwarves to do I’ll try to honor them (i.e. wanting to be a guard, work only at a mason’s shop) otherwise they will be used for general labor for now, and specialized at a later time.  I can work either way, as we have more than enough provisions to last until a migrant wave.

Interestingly enough we apparently started from a civ that tamed some wolves, so we have two wolf pups as well as out multitude of dogs.  (it’s actually a BREEDING pair, once they grow up we’ll have many wolves).

Our site is located at the northern border of our civilization, a border thankfully just shared with goblins.  The humans and elves are further north, and it is doubtful they will come at us in force yet.  It is the goblins we must worry about. 

At this time we are going to begin the initial constructions necessary for our fortress.  Like many medieval castles, we will start by fortifying our position with a wooden wall and storehouses.  We will also dig as true dwarves into the ground for more than granite.  We will have storehouses, and temporarily shelters and workshops, underground.  Once the fortress is underway we will move our primary operations into the fortifications (dining and living areas, workshops, barracks, etc). 

Pictures and updates will come at a later time today.  Please stay tuned.  The embark area is very different than the embark screen made it seem but it almost works better in many ways. 

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 08:26:57 pm »

From the Log of Mindy Irtirbomrek, expedition leader.

We have set out to build our fortress, as the late king dreamed.  The location we have decided on is fairly defensible, but the goblins will break their truce soon, we have been at peace for almost three months.  This is by far the longest the wretched creatures have gone without slaughtering us.  Luckily for the time being they are engaged with human patrols to the north.  This worries me some as the humans have attacked us in the past, and if they are sending forces to deal with the goblins they may create a passage for a larger force to deal with us when we least expect it.

First thing for this log is to record our personel.  I am in command, at least until a more military minded commander can be found. 

Next is an experienced marksdwarf, 100killer9.  He will most likely be in charge of hunting and perimeter defense.

Mr. Brown is our resident chef and brewmaster.  He will be very popular and key to the longevity of our fortress.  As long as we can brew and cook, we can survive any siege.

Next is Overlord.  She is one of the military advisors and guards that has been dispatched to us.  She will be key in training up our military once we are established and get reinforcements.

Emen is a jack of all trades.  She has skill in a variety of areas, but her mining aptitude will get the most use.  Once our wolves grow up though we may need her to train them into even more formidable killing machines.

Zore is going to be in charge of much of the stonework for this project.  As a skilled miner and mason, she will help design and build powerful walls and fortifications.

Finally, Diablous, our siege engineer and mechanic.  She is an interesting last-minute addition to our group.  Someone decided that siege engines can be used defensively as well as against such fortifications as will be built, and so we will attempt to use them as we can.

Our situation is fairly good.  We are very well supplied.

With these men and women, as well as the best supplies obtainable with secrecy as a key necessity, we set out to strike the earth and build above it.

Our initial plans for the groundwork of our fortress.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:30:55 pm by dresdor »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 08:31:18 pm »

So far so good. But, TINY PICS, CAN'T READ. It be nice to be able to read my dorfs personality.
To be partly feline,

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 08:37:25 pm »

yeah I had the wrong links from photobucket, they should be fixed now.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 08:43:39 pm »

Yay big pics! And my dwarf is very like me in personality. The only differences are the not easily move by pity, and liking to work outdoors. Other than that, she is my gender flipped personality clone. Cool!
To be partly feline,

Zore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 10:16:14 pm »

Looks pretty good so far, very interesting embark group. How big is the site?
Pages: [1] 2 3