Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Work order queue utility, is there one?  (Read 633 times)

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Work order queue utility, is there one?
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:27:40 am »

I've been looking around for a utility that allows me to manage the orders for individual buildings, but I haven't found one.  What I'm looking for is something that allows me to keep a standing order for melting items in a specific smelter, and have that order be re-added regularly even if it's cancelled because of lack of meltables.  Yes, the manager allows this in a very limited capacity, but I would like this order to be permanent, as in for infinite quantity.  That's where an external utility comes in.

Does anyone know of any utilities that do this, or in other ways allow me to control the order queues of buildings?

If no utility like this exists, has anyone tried to write one and found any reasons why it cannot be done?  I might give writing one a shot, otherwise.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Work order queue utility, is there one?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:12:06 pm »

I have found none, and know no untility programmers that even have a project idea for this... and I have the same problems, well sometimes I hate clutter and I have a short memory sometimes I get easliy distracted so if I leave something on repeat... and a siege happens.. well you know. I start screaming "Why are there so many *Cave spider silk socks*! All over the place!" But with modding roaches to be milkable and catching several hundred of them I'd like my farmers to always milk the most ready roach and make some roach paste from the juice

bhamv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:00:53 am »

I try to get around this by designating a whole bunch of a task in the job manager.  For example, I usually have up to 5 instances of 30 "render fat" entries in my job manager.  Generally speaking, I go into the job manager, designate a whole bunch of the job I want, and then leave it for a while.  It's not perfect, since the game doesn't really generate infinite instances of the job, but for practical intents and purposes it's close enough for me.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:30:22 am »

Okay then, thanks for the replies.  I might look into creating one, depending on how long it keeps my interest and how difficult it turns out to be. ;)