Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Understanding Fortifications (Illustrated Question)  (Read 13845 times)

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Understanding Fortifications (Illustrated Question)
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:45:56 am »

So i'm trying to set a walled perimeter around my fort and trying to get the idea of fortification;

Are fortifications like arrow slits and crenelations and allow dwarfs that are behind them to fire through?

Example:

So, on the left side you have what I consider the logical solution: a crenelated/fortified wall with dwarf on the same Z level firing through the arrow slits.

On the right side is the non-logical but probably right setup where dwarfs are on top on the wall and the fortifications are like added points on the same Z level.

So, which one is right?

I just realized I skipped one logical step: what if dwarfs fire from the TOP of walls... is that the case? If so my question is answered, they simply need access to the top of the wall and the top is the part which needs to be fortified... right?

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Fortifications (Illustrated Question)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:23:18 am »

First things first, there are two types of fortifications you can build/carve in the game.

There are the fortifications you CARVE into smoothed (or constructed) walls.

And there are the fortifications you CONSTRUCT (through the b-C menu).

They both work the same, but there are some differences.

First of all, your left example is pretty much correct. Fortifications allow missile weapons (arrows, bolts, siege weaponry, etc) to pass through them, and dwarves (and enemies!) will shoot through them if they have line of sight to an opponent.

They also allow liquids to pass through, but not creatures, so they can be used as a filter to prevent nasties from getting into your pipes.

As for designing them, your left example would work, your dwarves would stand on the floor and shoot out the fortifications on the same level.

As for the differences between the two types:

CARVED fortifications will retain the "floor" that is built when the wall was built (or the natural floor in case of natural walls)

CONSTRUCTED fortifications have no "floor" above them. Think of these like the top of castles.. slits you can shoot through but not walk on top of.

Nome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:25:24 am »

Your picture on the left is correct.  Fortified walls are simply walls with arrow slits.  They allow arrows, ballista bolts, catapult rocks, water, and lava through, but stop everything else.  Note that enemies can shoot through fortifications just as easily as you can (learned that the hard way).

Norseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:56:12 am »

Note that enemies can shoot through fortifications just as easily as you can (learned that the hard way).

Not exactly. The further away a unit is when it tries to shoot through fortifications, the more likely it is to have its shot blocked by the fortification. A unit standing right next to the fortification is not affected at all. A unit standing 10 squares away will be affected quite a lot.

If you build fortifications, I'd suggest adding doors or floodgates in front of the fortification to act as shutters. That way, you can pull a lever to close the fortifications and stop a fight if you've got a wounded dwarf who needs rescuing. Ideally, the floors beneath the fortifications should be hatches, as well. This way, if a dragon comes along and starts breathing fire at your dwarves, you'll be able to activate the hatches to let wounded dwarves fall down to an area where civilians can recover them safely. Floodgates won't help with dragons, since their breath destroys buildings and can cross moats.

In front of the floodgates, I'd suggest digging a dry moat at least one tile wide. That way, building destroyers won't be able to get close enough to your fortifications to destroy the floodgates, and, likewise, ranged units won't be able to stand right next to your fortifications even if the floodgates are open. In fact, I usually dig the moat first because digging tends to be much faster than building, and a moat will keep melee units away from your civilians. If you're digging into stone, it also provides a nearby source of raw materials for your fortifications.

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:54:24 pm »

Also fortifications are considerably safer to stand behind to you alternate between wall and fortification.