Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Masters of Magic (Month Six)  (Read 15446 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Magic (Month Four)
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:31 pm »

well, quality is a factor, a few pictures randomly thrown together in paint, will get less than something nicely done in a 3d.

Finishing up the turn now.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Magic (Month Four)
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2010, 11:43:05 pm »

Faden:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kinesen:

RNG:

Armok:

Ed:

100killer9:

Alrighty, new month, another hunger turn passed. Note the additions to mechanics, I did put a little change into the gathering system adding a change to amounts depending on the resource level of the hex.

New Map:

eep! I hit the character limit. Well this should be interesting. I took out the mechanics changes for now, and will just hope you check the first post for additions.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:39:05 am by Haika »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Magic (Month Five)
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2010, 12:40:51 am »

Is next turn a hunger turn too? What about maintenance?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2010, 01:32:14 am »

Is next turn a hunger turn too? What about maintenance?

Next turn is not a hunger turn, only the even ones. Since next turn is #5, no hunger issues, but #6 will have them, so could always plan ahead.

Maintenance is required every turn, 1 population unit per hex, however many buildings are there. Due to your particular building limitations, you might want to look into using tools more, or more magic, as you seem to be stockpiling plenty.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:34:04 am by Haika »

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2010, 04:46:29 am »

I still seem to have Grilled and Crispy (2/9) on possible research options.

And bad luck for me getting hit by another disaster event, even if I was lucky enough to survive it.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2010, 05:40:31 am »

I still seem to have Grilled and Crispy (2/9) on possible research options.

And bad luck for me getting hit by another disaster event, even if I was lucky enough to survive it.

Right, fixed now. also updated the MP that I forgot there. Let me know if you see anything else strange.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Journal of Matis the Explorer (on Schle Tuo: Month Four and Five)
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2010, 07:44:23 am »

Actions:
    Spells:
    • Research Burning Loins with one mp, storing 6 mp in the Mana Storage giving a total of 16 mana
    • Summon a Flame Whisp at C12 with three mana and
    • Summon a Flame Whisp at C13 with three mana using up a total of 6 mana from the Mana Storage, ending with a total of 10 mana.
    C13:
    • 2 groups work on two houses
    • One maintain buildings
    • One group and the Flame Whisp capture the Fire Elemental.
    B12:
    • One group gather materials
    • One group tries to domesticate animals.
    B11:
    • The Flame Whisp scouts B10.

___
Will fix spelling errors and such at a later time.

A question I have about boosting researchs, how does it work and how much do I gain from it? Say Liquid Stone (13pt). I use one group and use 7 mp and 5 mana? Or is it in a whole different way?

And If you wan't whenever you have some new game mechanics you introduce you could omit my journal and keep the actions, I wouldn't mind.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2010, 07:55:00 am »

I've said this before a couple other times, but to different people.

Mana is for spell casting and magical upkeep only. You cannot put Mana into Power, or Research.

To be able to learn the higher level spells that will cost more and more as we go, you will have to take multiple turns to learn it. You say I want to put 5mp into research for <whatever>, and then I subtract that 5 from the total needed to learn the spell. If there's enough to learn it, you do, and the excess goes into the Mana reserve.

Hope that makes things a little better to understand.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Magic (Month One)
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2010, 08:09:28 am »

I've said this before a couple other times, but to different people.

Mana is for spell casting and magical upkeep only. You cannot put Mana into Power, or Research.

To be able to learn the higher level spells that will cost more and more as we go, you will have to take multiple turns to learn it. You say I want to put 5mp into research for <whatever>, and then I subtract that 5 from the total needed to learn the spell. If there's enough to learn it, you do, and the excess goes into the Mana reserve.

Hope that makes things a little better to understand.

Might have a hard time to post tomorrow but I will do my best.

No worries on the posting. However, don't forget to choose where you want your mp to be split(research, power, or mana). also note that you don't need to have a unit specifically research a spell, unless you wish to boost the mp used for research(not needed at this low research costs, feel free to change that action)

Aha, ok. Your earlier statement made me think it was possible to do so, but now I know.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2010, 08:49:51 am »

6 pts go to research Summon Bunny!
2 Mana used to cast Hunting Charm, 2 pts used to boost the Charm.
5 pts go to Mana Storage

K13: 1 Maintains the granary.
Moose trains to gather wood, becoming a Lumber-Moose
Hungry Hunting Hippo moves to L13 and hunts

L13: 1 Group gathers materials (not wood)

L14: 1 moves to M15, taking 2 wood and building a granary.
1 uses wood to build a lumber mill
1 maintains the granary

L15: 1 searches for materials
1 maintains the granary

M15: 2 units hunt
1 unit gathers medicinal herbs.
1 unit moves to L15, taking 2 salves.
Survey-debeests move to L16 and survey the area

Last month was a hard one for the Dandy Lions. Many groups had neglected the traditionalist ways, building instead of hunting, and they had suffered for it. There was a resurgence of traditionalism on the Dandelion Plains, and an almost complete abandonment of Hippoism, and a mistrust of animals in general. After the death of the Gentle Gnu, they banished the Survey-debeests to the Sparkling Hills.

When they reached the Sparkling Hills, however, Frumplekins turned them away, unwilling to have the smelly beests anywhere near his settlement. They continued onward, into the Mountains of Almost Certain Death Via Hungry Wolves, also known as the Sunny Points.

Away from the homeland, however, Hippoism still flourished. In the Fluffy Forests, especially, where the great Hippos still hunted, the Lions felt safe from everything except their fellow Lions. The near starvation was difficult, certainly, but they had survived! A small group dedicated their efforts to building a shrine to the Hungry Hunting Hippos, complete with spinning blades. After only a few days, however, they became bored of the shrine and converted it to a more practical use.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2010, 11:20:24 am »

two of the units on H15 move to H14 and try to build farms there. They take two units of food with them. Similarly, two of the units on G14 move to G13 and build mines there. They also take two units of food with them. The two units on G12 build farms there. All the units that are by themselves on a tile maintain the farms there.
Magic: research minor mutation for 3 points. 9 points og into mana, taking me to 15. I spend 10 of these to cast egg brood, creating a new unit on G13, which then creates a mine there.

The sun dawns on a new land. Not long ago, our society lay clustered together, bound by our own limitations in a small corner of this land. We have since thrown off these shackles, and we have broken free. All the known world now lies under our dominion. Every place on this land strives for our glory. We shall expand our domain. The legends say that the domain of Guth'okto lies across the endless ocean. We shall bask in the glory of the great mother. Even the great waters shall serve our bidding.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2010, 11:42:06 am »

It seems that the Great Mother has blessed us after all. Despite our earlier misfortune, my children are thriving and doing better than ever. So much better, that they must leave these fertile grasslands in search of new places to live. I see barren peaks to the west, a harsh unforgiving wasteland that we couldn't possibly survive in... but to the south, those same peaks are covered by a new type of tree the likes of which I have never seen before! Clearly these trees must have adapted to their surroundings, to take root where others dare not... and we shall to the same. We must develop new tools and practice new skills to survive these lands, and with Mother's good fortune, we shall spread the bountiful forest to every corner of this land! Then my children can run and play anywhere they wish without fear, and still see all the wonderful things this world has to offer...

Truly, I wonder what is out there. We have barely left the grove, and I have already seen so much. I wonder what we will encounter... All this excitement brings back tales, legends from travelers who occasionally visited out glade many years ago told of Guardian Vines, sections of the forest that were alive and protected it from intruders. Myconids, creatures much like our own Dryads but formed from mushrooms instead of trees and vines, that live in mountain caves instead of the forest... possibly even Treants, living trees that have uprooted themselves and moved of there own free will! I may be alive, but I can not do that... at least, not yet. It seems that this inquisitive spirit of the fawns was worn off even onto me! Heheh...

Research Rain Dance.
Cast Summon Daoine.
Cast Blade of Grass on three fawns in G8.
Cast Blessing of Oak in G8.
Use 4 Spellpower of Blessing on Oak to obtain Sacred Oak.
-----
Two of the Blade of Grass fawns in G8 head south and survey the land.
the other Blade of Grass fawn in G8 takes three food(two II and one III, and he can last for three turns, right?) and heads northwest, also to survey the land.
Two fawns in G8 work on the fruit plantation.
One fawn in G8 takes a Sacred Oak to H9 and builds a Sacred Altar.
One fawn continues to try and process food.
-----
One fawn in H9 continues taming the unicorns.
Two fawns in H9 study magic, attuning themselves to the forest.
One fawn maintains the buildings.
One fawn creates bows and arrows out of the wood.
One Daoine collects food, and one maintains the groves.
-----
Two fawns try and learn magic from the Wind Elemental.
One fawn gathers food.
The Wind Elemental helps teach the fawns wind magic.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:23:04 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Magic (Month One)
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2010, 02:02:05 pm »

No worries on the posting. However, don't forget to choose where you want your mp to be split(research, power, or mana). also note that you don't need to have a unit specifically research a spell, unless you wish to boost the mp used for research(not needed at this low research costs, feel free to change that action)

Aha, ok. Your earlier statement made me think it was possible to do so, but now I know.

The boost mentioned here would be having a population unit use the main action for the turn as helping research. Like a gather roll, you'd then have a chance of getting 0-4 more research points.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2010, 03:15:23 pm »

Still waiting for another batch of answers by PM, hopefully they will be more satisfactory.
Meanwhile, I guess I can try to type up a random spinet of RP or two, for a point or two:

These last 30 times have been ones of unparalleled productivity! So much has happened; magical creatures somewhat similar to golems have invaded, and although aggressive we hope to gain much from reverse engineering them. Of the two unit of scouts we utilized one discovered a sand dessert, meaning glass, surrounded by oceans that might act as natural defence. The other discovered something even better; a large forest, and a species of plant that according to the ancient memory can be used to produce latex, oils, and substances to alter the minds of organics!
We can also report that the attempts at thwarting the occult activities reported has been successful. Meanwhile, the Wd-4wign-rec-01 unit has been completed, although not yet animated.

Most importnant howerver, was the succses of the StatFac-melter-auto-magma-01! It's productivity exceeds all expectations! It was a huge success! This lesson learnt, these principles of mass production will be applied to many more processes! It is hard to overstate my satisfaction!
In fact, thinking abaut this almost seems to alter my cognition with stack overflows in many meters, it's making me allmost... rational? Almost... alive? No, error, fault at rune 5835C. allocated buffer, operating parameters renormalized.

Log: Times 90 To 120 Productivity Report Logging Caused Behavior Outside Opperating Parameters, Problem Localized And Fixed, Rebooting...

Edit: Ok, got those answers I wanted, so here's the turn:

##########################################

Golems:
00: Feed/maintain StatFac-melter-auto-magma-01.
01: dig a magma channel at b2 from c2
02: go to d2 and build a railway system
03: go to d2, use steel to build StatFac-metCrtFrg-auto-magma-01
04cw: try to disable the elementals, breaking them up and making them unable to do anything but hopefully leaving them intact enough that them magic stays and can be reverse engineered
05r: build magma channels to/on c2, also connecting b2 so all 3 tiles now have magma access.
06I: using steel from the StatFac-melter-auto-magma-01, make Rail-ArmCart-transp-01 golems.
07I: Using steel from the StatFac-melter-auto-magma-01, make DrlDig-RigWrm-mine-01 golems.

StatFac-melter-auto-magma-01-01d2: Produce steel from all the iron ore, in shapes suitable for this turns actions (so rails for the railway, etc.). (if making steel shuld for some reason fail, just make as high quality iron as possible and tasks that would use steel use that instead.)
Scout summon at 2b: if it can travel on the seabed, examine 3b, otherwise disband to save upkeep.
Scout summon at 3e: Explore 4f, and of possible 4e to.

Designs:
StatFac-metCrtFrg-auto-magma-01: A very similar design to the melter, a stationary structure full of tightly packed machinery with golem enhancement working on it's own, and usualy built adjustent to the melter with accses to magma and pipes of molten metal going straight from the melter to the forges. The task is slightly differnet: it takes alredy refined mettal, and there is machinery for molding it much finer, smithing it, cuting it, drawing it into threads, flatening it into cheats, pressing it, bending it, chiping it etc. etc. etc. in short making it into any shape or structure you can imagine, even with complex mechanical parts, or tempered and folded for greater durability.
Rail-ArmCart-transp-01: A rather simple golem, think a self propelled mine cart with a simple arm. These golems can ONLY move on special rails, and can do nothing but hauling materials (or occasionally the smaller varieties of golems, but that carries risks) around, but they are very very fast and good at doing that, much faster than any golem on foot.
DrlDig-RigWrm-mine-01: Another highly specialized golem, this one for mining. It is basically a single rigid cylinder, with a digging head in front (Not this kind, this kind) and outputting gravel and ore at the back for others to pick up. It cant move above ground, it cant even move throughout soft soil, it cant turn fast, and in general cant do anything at all but churn in a roughly straight line throughout rock and ore like it was nothing leaving behind a ugly scar of a tunnel and a ludicrous amount of material.

Magic:
I research burrower. (hopefully the replacing one will be something useful this time, something that sticks.) If posible to do after the first initial casting of the spell i put another two power into the scout at e3, the rest goes to mana.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:13:06 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2010, 05:59:11 pm »

Hey Haika, is it possible to tame large sea creatures from the coast, or do you have to get onto a blue tile first?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11