Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Masters of Magic (Month Six)  (Read 15494 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Magic (Month Two)
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2010, 06:13:15 pm »

Humanoid shape is really inefficient for most tasks. If this has any realism at all, then specialization always makes something better at what it specializes in, and integrating something directly into it's body as a limb tends to give many times better control than just a tool hold in your hand, and most importantly making it part of the golem body gives it the ability to be articulated.

Take this one I did recently. It has 8 legs giving it a much easier time balancing than 2 and more lifting capacity. it has a cargo thing letting it haul massive amounts of material compared to a similar sized humanoid, and it has a humanoid torso meaning it can probably still do the same stuff everyone else can. the only drawback is that it's very large and thus I can have fewer/they require more material.
On the next turn, I intend to attempt flying golems.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2010, 06:30:25 pm »

Cast Hunting Charm (2 mp)
Research Summon Fluff (3 mp)
2 Mp goes to Mana Storage.

Three units hunt. One unit travels to L14, taking 4 food and explores the new hex. One unit gathers and processes the herbs. The final unit teaches the hippos to hunt! Yay!

With the population ever increasing, the Dandy Lions stare down starvation. The newest pride joins the traditionalists, hunting. This time, however, they have an edge, a bit of magic.

One half of the group of scouts decides that there is nothing worthwhile in their current territory, and heads towards the forests. The other half gathers up the medical herbs, already wondering if they can be used as poison.

The innovative group contemplates their catch, a small herd of hippos. Considering the hippo's massive bulk and savage temperment, they decide that the hippos would be best put to use slaughtering all the nearby prey, and indoctrinate them to do so.

(Flying golems?! It must be done!)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 07:01:48 pm by Faden »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »

Three questions:

1) How do non-mana points work? Do you spend them as mana points, or is there a separate category of things to buy with them?

Points by themselves, are a level of your creativity. You may purchase any Event that has happened at random, or by survey. You do so like this: I wish to purchase crystal deposits on H29, for no less than 10 points. Then on my turn, I decide how much crystal deposits will do for the tile, and how many points it will cost minimum, if that's under 10, you will buy it, if it's over 10, no dice.

2) Can you move units and then use them in the hex they move to in the same turn?

Yes, Movement goes 'move->action' So for example survey can mean 'move->explore' if you give a direction to move. Just remember a unit can usually only move one hex at a time, so they can't come back on the same turn without something giving them more movement.

3) How do the land values effect the ability to gather?

This is basically a general idea of what sort of things are most common on the hexes. If after a roll the result could go either way, that is what I look at to tip it one way or the other. Base Land value, is really only applicable for population limit

Humanoid shape is really inefficient for most tasks. If this has any realism at all, then specialization always makes something better at what it specializes in, and integrating something directly into it's body as a limb tends to give many times better control than just a tool hold in your hand, and most importantly making it part of the golem body gives it the ability to be articulated.

Take this one I did recently. It has 8 legs giving it a much easier time balancing than 2 and more lifting capacity. it has a cargo thing letting it haul massive amounts of material compared to a similar sized humanoid, and it has a humanoid torso meaning it can probably still do the same stuff everyone else can. the only drawback is that it's very large and thus I can have fewer/they require more material.
On the next turn, I intend to attempt flying golems.

I understand your reasoning, but for game mechanics, I can't let you just make whatever you want, or there will be no need to have your population growth at all, or tools, or vehicles. You already have a huge advantage in not having to eat. If you want to alter a unit to fly, that's possible, if you want one to have 8 legs, that's possible as well, but 8 legs, and cargo, and everything else, it's too much. If that action remains, you will probably get only the 8 legged golem body this turn, with the rest needing further turns to add.

Since it seems so important, note that specializing does have a benifit, that being it would only take one turn to specialize a unit, while it would take 2 actions to make a tool, then train a unit in it's use.

I'm going to stand by what I said before. A specialized unit will get a bonus, but nothing more than a seperate unit with tools would. Race bonuses and weaknesses are there to give flavor to the game and give you a chance to min max a bit. They shouldn't totally change the way the game is played. I want all the civs to be generally equal in how they grow and do actions. Makes it simpler on me.

I don't want to seem a hard ass all the time, but want to try and keep the game in balance between the players.

Also want to point out to all of you(sans Armok) who have people moving around without food. Next turn is a hunger turn. Meaning any unit on a hex without at least 1 unit of food will roll against starvation.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2010, 06:49:22 pm »

Rolling against starvation?
That's not how I roll.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »

Ok. Then I guess the unit previously assigned to building the workshop, and possibly the one channelling from the volcano if necessary, are intead assigned to making the spider truck get ready on schedule.

I DO think there should be some bonus to having something be included as part of the original body before enchantment rather than as a later tool or add-on. Pherhaps simply that anything added before the golem is brought to life it is automatically proficient with, if it's an addon it has to be trained with, and if it's a indirect tool it needs two turns of training. (so, addons would be the one corresponding to another race using tools.)
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2010, 07:21:25 pm »

Rolling against starvation?
That's not how I roll.

You need to roll yourself an action list for me first. :D

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2010, 07:37:11 pm »

The rest of our population will make a great migration. Half of the remaining population shall travel south to search for food. The increased numbers have left our people hungry. The other shall travel northwest, and search for materials of use there, so we shall be able to create weapons of great might.

If I read your actions right(didn't get a summary), you want the two scouts blessed with extra movement to head north and south, then the rest of your population to split up and move off the home tile. My question for you is, what do you want to do with the resources there? If you leave things on a hex without at least 1 population unit to watch over it, they will be lost. So let me know if you want to take the stuff with you, or leave somebody there to hold the ground.
Yup. Two of the units with the extra speed to follow the coast north/south. The supplies on the original square would be brought to H15 (the one to the south)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2010, 09:37:25 pm »

Oho! Definitely watching.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
Journal of Matis the Explorer (on Schle Tuo: Month One and Two)
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2010, 06:02:09 am »

Actions:
  • Use 3 mana to research Flame Whisp, store 2 mana in Mana Storage
  • One group gather food
  • One group tries to build a Fishing Hut
  • One group tries to build a Lumbermill
  • One group tries to build a Laboratory.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2010, 09:33:31 am »

righto then, just waiting on 100killer9 then I can do the turn. I'll be out of town all afternoon today, so I'm hoping I can get it done before then, if not, I'll do it late tonight.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2010, 02:42:08 pm »

Sorry.
Research micro cure, cast termite strain.
Have 1 unit maintain the creep.
Have 1 unit attempt to train the giant larva to spread the creep for us.
Have 4 units hunt.
The Draati were starting to feel more secure with a mother to work for. They gave birth to 8 more children. They found that, while the Mother could not spawn Draati, they themselves reproduced very quickly. This, though, was not for the best. The creep that before seemed to sustain them no longer completely suppressed their hunger, and 16 Draati decided to hunt nearby animals for food. Another three continued spreading the thick creep across the grassland, driven by a strange instinct, as the creep seemed to thin in unmaintained places. Yet another four saw that the larva could potentially spread the creep for them by wiggling about.
One young Draati tripped on a stone poking out of the creep. He remembered many things from far before his birth, but strangely forgot them, and felt an unnatural headache afterwards.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Magic (Month Three)
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2010, 03:41:09 am »

Mechanics changes and additions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RNG:

ed:

Armok:

Faden:

Kinesen:

100Killer9:

Remember to check status in the first post, let me know of any errors.

New Map:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:43:30 am by Haika »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2010, 05:46:01 am »

LOG OF THE COMMUNITY OF #02C AND DERIVATIVES:

¤ This Is a Log Of events, Established To Evaluate Inefficiencies and Faults in the Organization of #02C and Derivative Communities. Reason for Establishing Log Equals Repeated Failure Of Production In Time Periods 60 To 90 Leading To The Attempt Of Reorganization To Prevent Further Inefficiencies. This Log Is Maintained Communally By Units 00 To 03 If Present At Their Median Location.

At Times 60 To 90 Head Attempts The Design Of Further Occult Abilities. The Attempt is a Success In Gaining New Means of Recognizance and Exploration.

At Times 60 To 90 a Cadaver of an Unclassified Animal Was Carefully Examined By 02. Biomimicry has Yielded Efficient Method of Long Distance Communication With Highly Compatible Protocol And No Moving Parts Required. Affirmed Associated Actions.

At Times 60 To 90 A Three Part Prodject of Golem Construction Was Attempted, Attempted to Implement Design Cht-Hwl-Crn-00. All Three Parts Of Project Was Mayor Failures.
Cht Component Was Irelevant In Lack Of Hevy Lifting Context For Wich It Was Designed. It Was Discovered To Be Easy To Was Repurposed For Offensive Tasks.
Hwt Component Critical Error At Get Material Wood Get Other Material Stone Fatal Error At Shape Stone Implements Unavailable Aborted.
 Crn Component Critical Error At Get Material Wood Get Other Material Stone Fatal Error At Shape Stone Implements Unavailable Aborted.

At Time 80 Unit 04cw and 05r Activated. 04cw Euqals Failed Design Cht-Hwl-Crn-00 Equals GChtW-00. 06r Equals Standard Design Rock.

Census Equals; 00 Equals Standard Clay, 01 Equals Standard Clay, 02 Equals Standard Clay, 03 Equals Standard Clay, 04cw Equals GChtW-00, 05r Equals Standard Rock.

Inventory Equals Error File Not Found.

Log Updated Last At Time 90.
Is this good for RP? That's what the golem perspective is, more or less.

This Turn: 04cw tries to take over that demonic ritual, 00 moves to the vulcano tile and starts to examine what will be needed for a metal industry and if possible starts working on that, 01 goes to the grassland tile and tries to search for and collect some kind of plants that can be used for textiles (need for dolls, wings, ropes... This is quite an important industry), 02 makes carpentry tools, 03 collects wood, 05r looks around for any special materials like extremely lightweight (think balsa) wood or rubber trees or useful plants or such.

I cast Scout and they examine E3, the remaining 2 mana go to the pool.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
Journal of Matis the Explorer (on Schle Tuo: Month Two and Three)
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2010, 05:47:05 am »

• Spend 7 mana to research Grilled and Crispy
  • 2 groups fish
  • 2 groups gather materials
  • Send one group to scout B12
  • One group focus on maintenance.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:06:35 pm by KineseN »

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2010, 07:15:12 am »

Beady eyeing.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11