Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Masters of Magic (Month Six)  (Read 15452 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masters of Magic (Month Six)
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:38:24 am »

Greetings and salutations my fellow forumites.

For this, is a game of magic, building, civilization and war.

Rules will be made up as we go along, here is the map and the possible starting locations:

Starting Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

D6: Yellow Desert
H9: Seaside Forest
L8: Valley Shore
C13: River Jungle
H14: Spire Badlands
M15: Dandelion Plains

We will aim to run 36 turns. Each turn will one month of in game time, so the game will end at 3 years, and possibly restart with new players.

There will be random events, and I shall be running a 'npc' community in one of the starting locations above that are not chosen.

Each of the players will accumulate points as you play, these points can be used for bonuses and effect other players good or bad. The more creative you are in your posts the more points you will get. So think creatively, name things, write a little journal, all might give you enough points to cause a volcano to strike your enemy, or grow medicinal herbs near your home tile.

Points will also show your progress in the game and how well you are doing. They will be in an (##/##) type format, being current amount and total. The current amounts will be what you spend for extra events, while the other is your score.

I'm looking for 3 to 5 players. When signing up I need: a race type for your followers(kobold, dinosaur, elf, manticore, etc), and a magic type for your sphere of influence(fire, ice, nature, etc), and which of the starting areas you wish to play. Either of these can be anything you think of, the more creative the better. These two choices will give you four traits, two advantages and two weaknesses. I will list these in the first post after you've chosen your starting area.

Game Mechanics:

Mechanics changes and additions(turn 5):
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:45:33 pm by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Magic. Forum Style
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:53:35 am »

Creative? Hmm... That's hard for me. I'll just make a Zerg-like race. I'll have it later today.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:55:26 am »

Spoiler: Old post (click to show/hide)

Race: Human
Magic: Fire
Starting location: C13

Backstory: The humans have always been a race known for their tendency to expand beyond their habitat and with it the passive-aggressive destruction to the environment.

The human had since long abandoned magic and with it it's knowledge, though once in a decade several children would be born gifted with it. Many of these children would have a hard time mastering the wild magic, but those precious few that could would be a force to be reckoned with, either as a tactian(sp?), battle mage or a researcher.

This certain group of humans was sent to scout for a new settlement, the old city wasn't large enough anymore to hold all the people. As they struggled their way over mountains and oceans, though deserts and plains they finally settled down in a lush jungle with a river right though it.
---

Would this work?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:06:23 am by KineseN »

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:46:51 am »

same here. Something'll be up in a while.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:55:23 am »

I'm in, and I call M15.  :D

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:16:20 am »

Race: Dandy Lions
       A race of sentient lions with yellow flower petals in place of fur and the ability to grin. Their main weapons are a false sense of security and razor sharp claws. They are vicious, bloodthirsty and absolutely Adorable.
Starting point: M15
Magic: Adorability
       A form of deception and enhancement magic. The colors yellow, pink, baby blue, and lime green gain a boost in utility. The deadliness of an Adorable weapon is inversely proportional to how deadly it looks.

(If this is too silly I'll make a different one, but I think it'd be fun. :D)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 11:16:47 am »

Oh, and I call L8.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:20:21 am »

Spoiler: Old post (click to show/hide)

Race: Human
Magic: Fire
Starting location: C13

Backstory: The humans have always been a race known for their tendency to expand beyond their habitat and with it the passive-aggressive destruction to the environment.

The human had since long abandoned magic and with it it's knowledge, though once in a decade several children would be born gifted with it. Many of these children would have a hard time mastering the wild magic, but those precious few that could would be a force to be reckoned with, either as a tactian(sp?), battle mage or a researcher.

This certain group of humans was sent to scout for a new settlement, the old city wasn't large enough anymore to hold all the people. As they struggled their way over mountains and oceans, though deserts and plains they finally settled down in a lush jungle with a river right though it.
---

Would this work?

Looks good to me.

Race: Dandy Lions
       A race of sentient lions with yellow flower petals in place of fur and the ability to grin. Their main weapons are a false sense of security and razor sharp claws. They are vicious, bloodthirsty and absolutely Adorable.
Starting point: M15
Magic: Adorability
       A form of deception and enhancement magic. The colors yellow, pink, baby blue, and lime green gain a boost in utility. The deadliness of an Adorable weapon is inversely proportional to how deadly it looks.

(If this is too silly I'll make a different one, but I think it'd be fun. :D)

Not too silly I think. Your magic will probably be 'charm' based. 

Seems we have 4 people interested, as soon as 100killer and Ed get some details up, I can plot out the first intro post, and take actions for the first month
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:24:15 am by Haika »

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 11:28:22 am »

In the beginning, there were many creatures. Some were fierce, others were meek, but none were loved as much as the Dandy Lion. So lovely and adorable was the Dandy Lion, that not even the most skittish of creatures feared to lie down beside it.

And that was their undoing.

As time passed, many species vanished mysteriously. The prey animals were puzzled, but were not intelligent enough to link it to the culprits, the Dandy Lions, who continue to grow fat on the animals of the plains to this day.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:48:24 am »

Alright.
The Draati
They are spawned by the most successful female Draati from another hive that wanted to expand. This draati plants itself in the ground ang grows to a huge size. It spawns Draati of both genders (unlike bees or ants), and these Draati count as adults in all ways but size. They collect food for the Mother Draati, and do tasks that she tells them to do. However, these worker Draati actually have individuality, and talk amongst each other, and do tasks that they want to do if the Mother Draati isn't telling them to do anything. They eat enough food to survive while working, and give the rest to the Mother Draati. The Mother rations any excess food to those who can't work for one reason or another. The Draati can reproduce sexually, much like humans, and often do so after the first Mother Draati spawning, as it takes much energy for her to spawn more Draati. They can go from one Mother Draati to another if they choose. They look like giant ants, but with a torso on the thorax that is actually another segment. These have arms with clawed hands with four "talons", and a head like an ant's. They are larger (6 feet long, 5 1/2 feet tall), and have brains. The females are slightly larviform, having segments connected with webbing, though this is just looking like the larva.
Magic: Disease. They can spawn viruses of multiple severities if they have absorbed sone flesh of the species they are casting it on. Only a microscopic amount is required, and they can do this through quick contact. The viruses can only harm that species, and they can't cast viruses on each other.

Is this good?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 11:53:51 am »

Alright.
The Draati
They are spawned by the most successful female Draati from another hive that wanted to expand. This draati plants itself in the ground ang grows to a huge size. It spawns Draati of both genders (unlike bees or ants), and these Draati count as adults in all ways but size. They collect food for the Mother Draati, and do tasks that she tells them to do. However, these worker Draati actually have individuality, and talk amongst each other, and do tasks that they want to do if the Mother Draati isn't telling them to do anything. They eat enough food to survive while working, and give the rest to the Mother Draati. The Mother rations any excess food to those who can't work for one reason or another. The Draati can reproduce sexually, much like humans, and often do so after the first Mother Draati spawning, as it takes much energy for her to spawn more Draati. They can go from one Mother Draati to another if they choose. They look like giant ants, but with a torso on the thorax that is actually another segment. These have arms with clawed hands with four "talons", and a head like an ant's. They are larger (6 feet long, 5 1/2 feet tall), and have brains. The females are slightly larviform, having segments connected with webbing, though this is just looking like the larva.
Magic: Disease. They can spawn viruses of multiple severities if they have absorbed sone flesh of the species they are casting it on. Only a microscopic amount is required, and they can do this through quick contact. The viruses can only harm that species, and they can't cast viruses on each other.

Is this good?

Looks good. however, note that your magic needs to be general. As you will use it for both benificial magic and attack magic. Plague Sphere is fine though. :)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 12:05:47 pm »

Alright. Disregard the description, just keep the disease/pestilence/plague sphere.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 12:25:57 pm »

I decided to write out some mechanics that will be here from the start of the game. I'm going to add to this over time, as we go along and more items and notes are needed.

Game Mechanics:

Will also paste these into the first post, and we will wait on Ed to finish until around 5pm my time tonight, if he isn't ready by then, I will start the game. There is still one open spot if anyone is reading and wants to join, I will take 5 civs, and accept applications until we have 5 civs, even if the game has already started(you start as soon as you join whenever that may be)

After the initial 5, do go ahead and post your ideas on your civ. If I find it really interesting I may allow you to join as a special case. More on this if it happens.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 01:00:24 pm »

Race: Chot
Magic:resurgence/regeneration
Starting location: H14

The best way that a Chot can be described by comparing it to a centaur. If a centaur is a mix between a horse and a human, a Chot is a mix between a spider and a human. From the waist up, they are like humans. Below the waist, they have a thorax, and abdomen and eight legs. The males outnumber the females hugely, but are subservient to them. The females are larger than the males, and lay eggs.

The dwellings are ornate structures, constructed from layer upon layer of web. Each dwelling is presided over by a single female. Practicing magic is limited to the females and a few males. Their god is called Guth'okto. There are many tales about Guth'okto. She is often depicted as a giant spider, with many more legs than normal. She also has one large human torso (with attatched arms and head), and several smaller torsos. Tales about Guth'okto often focus on her immortality. Even when dismembered and apparently killed, Guth'okto regenerates, often more powerful than before, and defeats her foes.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 02:47:07 pm »

KineseN:
----------------------

Faden:
----------------------

100killer9:
----------------------

ed boy:
----------------------

Ok, and Game start! Map has been updated in the first post, be sure to refresh your cache as I didn't save new for this first update.

You need to choose a spell to research, decide where to put each of your MP(research, power, or mana), and then think up actions for each of your population units. note: You cannot cast magic until you have researched a spell.

suggested unit actions: gather food, gather building materials, explore current hex, survey adjacent hex(moves the unit), etc. Anything goes really, Note the rules on Food and Starvation added to the mechanics on the first post. Gotta eat at the end of every even turn.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:03:12 pm by Haika »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11