Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Masters of Magic (Month Six)  (Read 15437 times)

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
Re: Masters of Magic (Month One)
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 03:27:42 am »

Ok, I fixed my actions.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 05:14:30 am »

Oh, ok.

1 unit surveys the current tile, one surveys the neighbour tile, 1 builds manufacturing infrastructure like workshops, and one make the doll that will be required for lawnmower. All the mp this turn go into researching lawnmower I think.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 08:02:29 am »

Research "Termite Strain"
1 unit build a creep on the starting hex.
1 unit attempt to domesticate animals
1 unit looks for edible plants
1 unit looks for a building material, such as wood.
The 16 Draati had woken up and unburrowed themselves without thinking about it. One Draati tried to remember why they were here. He discussed with the others, and they all seemed to have amnesia. That wasn't the most pressing matter, however. They had no idea where the nearest Mother was.
They discussed amongst themselves, and decided to have Artilya, the strongest female in the group, become the Mother. She burrowed, and shortly reemerged as a giant organic pseudostructure (if that's a real word). However, there was something strange. She couldn't seem to spawn new Draati. But, a thick substance seemed to be oozing out of her. Three other Draati did as the Mother commanded and spread this over the area.
While the Mother was distracted, four Draati went looking for food, four Draati looked for animals they could domesticate, and four Draati looked for building materials. This wasn't an order from the Mother, just basic intelligence kicking in.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Magic (Month Two)
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 01:20:45 pm »

Mechanics changes and additions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

~

Faden:

Kinesen:

RNG:

ed:

Armok:

100killer9:

~

That's the turn, note, since these are very large, status will be updated in the first post, check there for info(link on this quote).

New Updated Map:

Let me know if there are any mistakes. :)

The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 01:56:51 pm »

Wait... A group of healers came to my group? Or did some unit of population of mine become a healer?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 02:03:54 pm »

Wait... A group of healers came to my group? Or did some unit of population of mine become a healer?

That would be part of your population that wasn't a unit, say elders or children, or people who won't listen to direct orders. Was a random event, I just went with it. Counts as a terrain modifier

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 02:19:25 pm »

Do I have to use a unit to cast blessing of oak, or can I cast it myself?

Unicorns... hrm. Since I'm obviously not going to use them for food, I can't think of any use for those other than having them assist me in battle... I wonder if they could help out against those elementals. Alternatively... maybe I can domesticate/train/ally with the elementals? Probably need stronger magic to do that, though.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 02:23:42 pm »

Do I have to use a unit to cast blessing of oak, or can I cast it myself?

Unicorns... hrm. Since I'm obviously not going to use them for food, I can't think of any use for those other than having them assist me in battle... I wonder if they could help out against those elementals. Alternatively... maybe I can domesticate/train/ally with the elementals? Probably need stronger magic to do that, though.

Magic is seperate from the units, yes.

Unicorns can help gather food, or yes, they will probably make a deadly war unit, but would need training.

As for the elementals, they are a hefty negative your scout found on a crit failed survey. You can attempt to kill, scare away, push away, tame, ally, whatever, with another unit, you will have around a 50% chance for it to work, and would only loose your unit if you roll really low.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 02:54:00 pm »

Losing some of my children was a painful experience for me. Unlike the peaceful sorrow I feel when one of my children returns to the forest, this experience was raw and horrifying. Part of me wanted to draw my children back to this forest, to keep they safe from the outside world... but with the arrival of the unicorns, I can only feel that good things are to come in the future. Because of this, I will not prevent my children from exploring... but I now realize I need to be much more careful in the future.

Research Blessing of Fin
Cast Blessing of Oak
Have the fawn in G8 survey the area.
Have one fawn in H9 build a Grove(Sylvan farm-house hybrid)
Have the other fawn in H9 gather food.
Have the unicorns gather food.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 03:59:04 pm »

Hmm, I keep geting supprised by how my golems work, we seem to have very different intuitions on it. I think I need a better explanation to what, acording to you, golems are and how they reproduce. also, what exactly is a doll?
Also, what do the golems look like? I asumed the curent ones were generic humanoid clay ones, but that future ones would be much better and more creative designs

I spend 2 mp reserching scouts, I try to eliminate the ritual, and the remaining 3 are put in the mana pool or used for reproduction.

THe alien corpse are brought home and examined by the unit that found it, one goes to the vulcano and try to chanel magma to the hole tile, one try to build and bring to life a golem(s) that consists of a chotliike body with a cargo area similar to that of a pickup truck on it's back and a huge, crane-like arm from the wood, the last unit builds workschops and tools from the rock.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 04:14:13 pm »

By the way, just how much does a unit of population represent?

Since I have 6 population, I have 6 magic points (correct me if I'm wrong) and 2 mana I stored last turn.
I will spend 2 of the magic points to research "summon drone"
I will turn 2 of the magic points into mana
I will cast "leg enhancements" twice (consuming my 4 stored mana), using my remaining two magic points to make the spell more powerful.

This increase in population is a sign! Our time of glory will come. Already the swarm grows more numerous, and our current boundaries cannot contain them. But before we can wreak destruction upon our foes, we must find them. For this we shall send out two scouting parties. One shall follow the coast north, and one shall follow the coast south. The regenerists shall invoke the power of Guth'okto upon these parties - they shall travel swifter than all others over the land, and search for resources that can be used to further our glory.

The rest of our population will make a great migration. Half of the remaining population shall travel south to search for food. The increased numbers have left our people hungry. The other shall travel northwest, and search for materials of use there, so we shall be able to create weapons of great might.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 05:10:33 pm »

Hmm, I keep geting supprised by how my golems work, we seem to have very different intuitions on it. I think I need a better explanation to what, acording to you, golems are and how they reproduce. also, what exactly is a doll?
Also, what do the golems look like? I asumed the curent ones were generic humanoid clay ones, but that future ones would be much better and more creative designs

I spend 2 mp reserching scouts, I try to eliminate the ritual, and the remaining 3 are put in the mana pool or used for reproduction.

THe alien corpse are brought home and examined by the unit that found it, one goes to the vulcano and try to chanel magma to the hole tile, one try to build and bring to life a golem(s) that consists of a chotliike body with a cargo area similar to that of a pickup truck on it's back and a huge, crane-like arm from the wood, the last unit builds workschops and tools from the rock.

The way I see golems as any inanimate object bound together and brought to life by magic.

These golems reproduce by using some materials(wood stone, whatever), to create more golems with magic power stored as mana. So at the end of a turn, if you have surplus materials, and magic power in your mana storage, your golems piece together some more golems. 1-4 per hex that has materials, assuming you don't run out of magic to hold the materials together.

A doll is a generic spell component for puppetry magic. Think a puppet doll, made of brown cloth, no clothes, hair, or any other feature. Your magic focuses on that, and uses it to create the puppets when you cast a spell. Like a tiny golem.

New golems should always start off as generic golems, and will take an action to modify or train the unit into something better. You can use an action to put together a special unit of golems, but remember the material and mana requirement(usually 1 of each resource per golem unit made).

The ritual is a terrain modifier, and requires a population unit to remove or modify in any way. Also, your final unit is trying to do two things at once, do you want to build workshops or craft tools? Those are two different actions.

~~~~~
By the way, just how much does a unit of population represent?

A unit is just a representation of a group of your population. It may be 5 people it may be 10. It's an ambiguous unit of adults that can do actions.

Since I have 6 population, I have 6 magic points (correct me if I'm wrong) and 2 mana I stored last turn.
I will spend 2 of the magic points to research "summon drone"
I will turn 2 of the magic points into mana
I will cast "leg enhancements" twice (consuming my 4 stored mana), using my remaining two magic points to make the spell more powerful.

Ok, little confusing but I see what you want to do here. The action would be, 2 points research, 2 points POWER, 2 points mana, then casting Leg Enhance twice. That will result in what you want, just a little confusing when you put the power boost after the spell, I had to count several times before I realized what you wanted.

and sorry about all the confusion guys. Hopefully we will beat out some rules and get into a smoother gameplay soon.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010, 05:42:29 pm »

I can still have almost all my golems be "special ones" right, and generic ones are just the ones that are not explicitly spent time building? Can I make surplus golem bodies and it simply uses those once pop growth catch up so I don't end up with generics?

I guess the over tasked golem will build some kinds of workshop(s) that don't require much tools to work in then.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 05:51:49 pm »

I can still have almost all my golems be "special ones" right, and generic ones are just the ones that are not explicitly spent time building? Can I make surplus golem bodies and it simply uses those once pop growth catch up so I don't end up with generics?

I guess the over tasked golem will build some kinds of workshop(s) that don't require much tools to work in then.

I think theoretically you could make special golem bodies, and count those towards your material requirement for the population growth. However, at the same time, you need to use a unit to make the special bodies, and still need materials to make those bodies, so that's really no different than altering a unit to specialize.

General units should be able to do more anyway, you could alter a unit to have sawblades for hands by using some metal ore or something, and sure the unit can cut down trees, but at the same time, so could a normal unit with a tool made from the ore and get the same bonus, so not sure where your going with this. Specialization will probably only come in to play heavily with military units

The rest of our population will make a great migration. Half of the remaining population shall travel south to search for food. The increased numbers have left our people hungry. The other shall travel northwest, and search for materials of use there, so we shall be able to create weapons of great might.

If I read your actions right(didn't get a summary), you want the two scouts blessed with extra movement to head north and south, then the rest of your population to split up and move off the home tile. My question for you is, what do you want to do with the resources there? If you leave things on a hex without at least 1 population unit to watch over it, they will be lost. So let me know if you want to take the stuff with you, or leave somebody there to hold the ground.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 06:04:17 pm »

Three questions:

1) How do non-mana points work? Do you spend them as mana points, or is there a separate category of things to buy with them?

2) Can you move units and then use them in the hex they move to in the same turn?

3) How do the land values effect the ability to gather?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11