Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Announcement spam  (Read 583 times)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Announcement spam
« on: February 26, 2010, 05:52:40 am »

So, I got the first migrant wave in my fortress today, and they entered the map right near my chasm. Needless to say, not all migrants made it. One of them was a pump operator, who is now lying wounded near the edge of my map. No problem you say, he'll just go and rest in a bed till he is healed, but no, here's what he does:

Now, the problem is, that there isn't actually a batman anywhere near him... I tried stationing my military near him with harass dangerous wild animals on, but they just stand there...

Any idea how to fix this?
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement spam
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 06:23:55 am »

Batmen can fly, so it's likely there's a batman a few z-levels up or down, within notice range of your injured fellow.

He's hurt to bad to walk, so he's trying to rest on the ground while he waits to be rescued - for someone to take him to an unoccupied bed, or one you've assigned him.

Sometimes I've noticed that my dwarves won't appear to notice an injured one until that one gets thirsty or hungry - then they feed/water then and then the hurt one is finally carried to a bed.

Short term answer for the batman, get some crossbows on those guarding troops, so they can reach the flighty batman and force combat.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 06:31:18 am »

I checked the skies as well, the closest batman was flying 6 Z-levels and about 30 tiles away... But, the good news is, that from the moment I made this topic, he suddenly realised he had nothing to fear and ran to a bed...
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:03:26 am »

It's a bug. I posted this just now: "...I noticed that in spite of being in bed, she would not rest. She cried and shouted and spammed me that she was being harassed by a goblin.."

I'm not sure why. But when dwarves are scared and pass out they can get stuck with imaginary assaulters. You're lucky he could snap out of it and run to a bed ... if they had to drag him, you might have had to execute him just to shut him the elf up.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:18:33 am »

I had a dwarf once that was so traumatized by getting ambushed by goblins, she spent every moment after that incident lying in her bed screaming that the goblins were gonna get her.

No goblins were still alive or free on the map, and she was still screaming about the goblins.

I did have a few prisoners so I thought maybe tossing them into the magma would make her feel better.

Not two seconds after tossing the last goblin into the magma she got up out of bed, and promptly bled to death.

Very strange.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:45:30 am »

Your dwarf is having nightmares. Happens all the time.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.