Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Historical Dwarves Seem Rather Lazy  (Read 586 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Historical Dwarves Seem Rather Lazy
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:42:52 pm »

In all the world's I've generated so far, the dwarves don't seem to do much in legend mode beside build a few fortresses and sit around watching the other civilizations rip each other apart in glorious brutal pointless wars.  Hell, in the last world I generated, there was a human/kobold war that went on for nearly seventy years, whereas the dwarves just sat back except for the occasional megabeast rampage.

Anyone else have this issue?  Anyone know any ways to get the dwarves off their lazy bums and out properly fighting all comers?

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Historical Dwarves Seem Rather Lazy
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:03:34 pm »

Take away their booze?

Seriously though, I think it has to do with the fact the dwarves only form sites on mountain tiles. IN one of my smaller worlds there is 1 dwarven civ, and all 3 of their sites are in a little valley surrounded entirely by mountains, inaccessible to the outside world.

I think the dwarves prefer it tbh. I've seen similar things happen in other worlds, dwarves tend to form their cities tucked away as deep into a corner of a mountainside as they can find.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:51:33 pm »

What the hell do you expect from bands of alcoholics, living in caves?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:10 am »

I think that they are all holed up in their mountainhomes, waiting for the humans, kobolds, elves and goblins to weaken themselves off. Then they will lead their glorious champions from the hills and scourge the land. Elves going first, of course.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:17:46 am »

My dwarves are all in eternal warfare with elves until they run out of dwarves to send to the frontlines... then they have to put some damn spawn of elf slaves someone brought home as spoils of war in charge, a farmer no less, and SURPRISE! We're suddenly at peace with the elves after a century of warfare.

My dwarven civ was generally doing well, batting aside goblins, taking elf retreats, annexing the land of a dwarf civ that was completely ripped apart by the elf empire after being bled out by the goblins...

I think it depends on how close your civ is to a goblin or elf town, especially if the elves or goblins can enslave one another.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare