Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Impulse buying  (Read 1631 times)

Torgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Impulse buying
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:15:49 pm »

Noob dorf herder here, with another question! The second elf caravan brought a caged giant desert scorpion and a caged wolf, among the more mundane animals they usually bring, so I bought them both. Now, I'd assume the wolf can be used to guard against thieves like a dog, but what canI do with a giant scorpion besides just look at him? (or her.)  Can I chain it in an hallway? should I make a secret room off my entrance and loose it on goblin invaders? What if I let it loose and it ADOPTS someone?  :o (far-fetched, I know, but I've rapidly learned the far-fetched is far from impossible in DF! Like, one champion knocking the other one down a well while sparring and him drowning. :( )

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Impulse buying
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:18:12 pm »

Noob dorf herder here, with another question! The second elf caravan brought a caged giant desert scorpion and a caged wolf, among the more mundane animals they usually bring, so I bought them both. Now, I'd assume the wolf can be used to guard against thieves like a dog, but what canI do with a giant scorpion besides just look at him? (or her.)  Can I chain it in an hallway? should I make a secret room off my entrance and loose it on goblin invaders? What if I let it loose and it ADOPTS someone?  :o (far-fetched, I know, but I've rapidly learned the far-fetched is far from impossible in DF! Like, one champion knocking the other one down a well while sparring and him drowning. :( )

Yes. Use a restraint to put them somewhere. You can make the scorpion adopt someone by using the animals menu. However, I believe it has a tendency to destroy wood buildings even though its tamed.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:35:13 pm »

Arena battle!  Scorpions vs Goblins vs Nobles vs Undead!

Having some hardcore wildlife chained at the entrance to your fort is a good idea too. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:53:55 pm »

If you're a noob, then a word of advice on chaining up animals: sometimes enemies bring bows.  Make sure they're behind blind corners.  Nothing worse than having your war grizzly bears slain because the enemy could just stand outside of range.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 09:17:56 pm »

my favorite way is have those war animals in a pit.... with a bridge or three over said pit... with automated plates to drop invaders into said pit... =D the fun will ensue!
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Torgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:39:15 pm »

my favorite way is have those war animals in a pit.... with a bridge or three over said pit... with automated plates to drop invaders into said pit... =D the fun will ensue!

But if they have archers that didn't fall in, they'd shoot my scorp :P

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:22 pm »

But if they have archers that didn't fall in, they'd shoot my scorp :P

At least giant scorpions can't feel pain or feel fear.

Unlike my pet dragon that I had, which was knocked uncosncious by a goblin wrestler. Luckily she woke up...t hen set the entire squad on fire.

Still, it was rather silly.

Though, sadly, Ziril (the name of the dragon) has passed, she was cut in half by a goblin axelord. I almost caught that goblin in a cage trap too, was 1 tile away, but it dodged and I had to sic my champions on him.

Oh well, he got knocked into about 50 pieces by my hammerdorf. Felt vindicated.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 12:53:18 am »

how did you manage to tame a dragon? don't they usually develop a palate for dwarf flesh?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 01:32:19 am »

only if they manage to snack on your particular dwarves. so you gotta catch em in a cage trap before they can do any serious damage.

I keep a 1-tile wide lane lined with traps as a side entrance to my surface forts for exactly that reason. dragon arrives, close main gate, let them wander into the cage traps.

It also provides goblins for the arena!
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:45:35 am »

Elves are only useful for the following reasons:

1) Elf bone skulls decorated with spikes of elf bone.
2) Bringing piles and piles of wood for trade tribute by accident.
3) Bringing breeding pairs of rare and exotic animals.

Sure, sure, swarms of ravenous kittens in a death pit can be fun. But do you know whats even more fun?

Swarms of ravenous giant lions, tigers, and polar bears in a death pit.   :D

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 11:50:02 am »

...breeding pairs. Waaaait a second. Can you breed GDS?
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 11:55:06 am »

...breeding pairs. Waaaait a second. Can you breed GDS?

Some things cannot breed, but most regular animals will breed just fine. The very exotic things like dragons and GCS's will not breed unless modded.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 11:59:47 am »

I know you can't breed a GCS... I was asking if you could breed a GDS.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:34 pm »

If it lacks the child tag, just toss in [CHILD:1] and a littersize tag.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:07:16 pm by Satarus »
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 12:06:11 pm »

If it lakes teh child tag, just toss in [CHILD:1] and a littersize tag.

Also make sure they have a gender.

I modded my fire imps to breed:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that if you embark with a magma pipe and do not clear out the magma pipe ASAP, you will have 50-60 fire imps around the magma pipe, with burning dwarves everywhere!  :o
Pages: [1] 2