Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Impact craters  (Read 11829 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Impact craters
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

More interesting content is always good.  :)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

Do even better - have some meteorites have a special metal that's stronger than steel (but nowhere near adamantine level, though). Call it Starmetal or Meteoric Steel or whathaveyou, or just call it mithril.  :)
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

This is quite a good idea. An ancient crater with strange mosters and strange metals in the bottom is an interesting fantasy theme, albeit overused...

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jetman123:
<STRONG>Do even better - have some meteorites have a special metal that's stronger than steel (but nowhere near adamantine level, though). Call it Starmetal or Meteoric Steel or whathaveyou, or just call it mithril.   :)</STRONG>
How about "exotic metal"? Suitably generic, and could mean anything about the quality of it...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

Oooh... I can see it now. [BIOME:CRATER] - full of tentacled nasties, misshapen monstrosities, foul and twisted plants. Where Carp fly and birds swim backwards underwater, where the sky glows green at day and brown at night. Where trees and plants rattle in the wind...<P>...<I>only there is no wind.</I>

996-137
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:08:09 pm by Dasleah »
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

Where all the animals reproduce fast, the plants grow faster and in out of season... but the meat and plants are worthless, foul, and bloated. Dwarves that spend too much time around go insane, and glow slightly in the dark. Over-exposure to the area results in a slow decay until disintegration.
It taints the water too.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Oooh... I can see it now. [BIOME:CRATER] - full of tentacled nasties, misshapen monstrosities, foul and twisted plants. Where Carp fly and birds swim backwards underwater, where the sky glows green at day and brown at night. Where trees and plants rattle in the wind...

...only there is no wind.</STRONG>

Most definitely a "terrifying" biome. :O

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 05:55:00 am »

Why is everyone saying meteoric iron is a 'fantasy' metal? It's an actual type of iron from our very own history

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 06:46:00 am »

Because it's standard fantasy fare that anything from outer space is special, because space is the realm of the gods. So even though it's a fairly mundane metal here on Earth, in a fantasy world, it automatically gains mystical properties (real or imagined) from simple virtue of where it's from.

I mean, I'd like to see meteoric iron as itself, but there should be a special name for special space-metal in DF. Perhaps the community can make up the name? I'm so sick of seeing Star Iron or Mithril - how about a metal unique to DF?

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

I know Dasleah... how about if Starmetal in Dwarf Fort is named after the god of whoever finds it? and add a suffix or something.
Like:
-Armothium
-Armoth Stone
-Armoth Metal
-Armoth Iron
-Armoth *Name Generator Generator*
-Armoth *Object: Like Tear*

Other then that let me think of some names... Keeping in mind that Dwarves don't rule the world so it wouldn't be named Dwarfium.

-Skypeice
-Crescent metal
-Wishpeice
-Fallen Ore
-Demonbane
-Gaiabane
-Spearsteel
-Sparksteel
-Lamentsteel
-Crescentium
-Godtear
-Heaventear
-Skytear
-Celesterous
-Celestium
-Black Iron
-Noirium
-Noirerous
-Darkiron

Wow, I have nothing... ohh well... Watcha think?

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 11:03:00 am »

It come from that stone - it growed down thar - it got everything livin' - it fed itself on 'em, booze and booze-shell - Bomrek an' Ral, Melbil an' Shorast - Urist was the last - they all drunk the booze - it got strong on 'em - it come from beyond, whar things ain't like they be here - now it's goin' home -
Shoes...

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 06:01:51 pm »

Didn't want to start a new topic since this one is already here and still relevant.
I was brainstorming a few days ago about possible things for meteor impacts and their effects on legends, etc.
Here's some possibilities:
In 206, "the bright shifts of roads" fell from the sky at "the oracular tower"
In 314, "Melbzul the evil wind" fell from the sky at "the sea of shadows"
(if a meteorite falls into the sea, it should make tsunamis in surrounding areas)
possible results of meteorite impacts: nearby volcanoes erupt; civilizations scorched by heatwave from meterorite; localized weird minerals and crater (and shocked quarts chunks)
new races never before seen show up, like the 3 armed 5 eyed Sqxjvls

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »

Goodness always odd to see my old posts.

The question is how realistic - fantastic should meteors be.

Though I guess it all depends on how fantastic the world is.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 08:09:59 pm »

This is a masterful engraving of a forest and elves by Urist. The forest is burning. The elves are screaming. This engraving relates to the cave-in of the skies by Litast in 87.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 10:40:50 pm »

I've heard that iron from the moon is actually tons more resistant to rusting than terrestrial iron. Also, tons of minerals, metals and stones can come from space. Effectively, anything that we can find on earth is more than possible coming from the skies.

Perhaps a 'Sky*metal*' prefix for anything that's fallen from the sky? Adds a bit of value? You might even be lucky enough to find 'Skyadamantine' (but probably not.)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5