Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Impact craters  (Read 11825 times)

Doniazade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Impact craters
« on: May 23, 2008, 06:05:00 am »

Fairly minor detail - allowing meteorite strikes to form impact craters during world generation. The craters would range from tiny to, in rare cases, huge, and they could add some nice terrain variety.

Of course, most craters would be hidden due to erosion and weather effects, forming lakes and such. They would also cause the formation of some interesting minerals at the crater, both due to the force of the meteorite and the mineral content thereof. This could be a way to introduce another popular fantasy material: Meteoric iron.

Again, minor detail. Could be something to consider once the current stuff is finished.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impact craters
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:08:00 am »

This gets my vote. Ideally, you'd have it happen before civilisations are plotted, but then again it'd be nice to see one of the non-essential civs get blown to smithereens during world gen. And, of course, remember where they were, move in, and make a fortune off all the precious metals that meteors in fantasy games always bring   ;)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

This seems cool, and realistic too. Maybe fresh craters would have strange monsters similar to chasms, just different. T'would have been cool if meteorite impacts happened during fortress or adventure mode too.
This is -ing good wood!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

"This could be a way to introduce another popular fantasy material: Meteoric iron"

It is also called by different terms such as Starmetal (which I prefer to the boringly mundane Meteoric Iron)

Anyhow I am not sure Dwarf Fortress universe even has a true space... So I don't know even if these comits/meteors/asteroids would be true Space Junk or even if they are possible

Though just because there is no Space I guess it doesn't mean there can't be Impact craters... it just means it is caused by something else... Heh, Like Heavenly Dwarves having Cave-ins in the sky.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

How long would it take for the dust cloud thrown up by a huge meteorite to disperse?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Doniazade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>How long would it take for the dust cloud thrown up by a huge meteorite to disperse?</STRONG>

It could take decades, of course, but impacts of that scale would almost never happen during the history phase due to their rarity. They would be simulated some time during the erosion stage of terrain generation, and it would be up to Toady if he wanted the possibility of meteorite strikes to alter history or just keep them as geological features.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>I am not sure Dwarf Fortress universe even has a true space... So I don't know even if these comits/meteors/asteroids would be true Space Junk or even if they are possible</STRONG>

They have space and asteroids, it's only that asteroids travel in a straight line until running out of momentum, then they plummet. So all asteroids are on the universe's bottom. Every now and then, though, they run out of momentum OVER Dwa'fortros (which is the name of the DF world).

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

Mass extinction and dust clouds? Sweet.
Could the Color Out of Space be like a megabeast/special event?

Sindai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

Just doing this during terrain generation and putting in meteoric iron would be pretty awesome.

EDIT: And horrors from the Outer Dark lurking under some of the craters isn't a bad idea either.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Sindai ]

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

Good idea. I like it!

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

Realistic and fun. And shouldn't be too hard to implement: just make some "special" spots during the erosion phase, introduce new metal(s) and value(s) for it(them). Maybe, new monsters.
Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »

very cool.  the list of possibilities is b i g.

got my vote.

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

As long as it never uses the Term "Meteoric" I am all for it.

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

This is a great idea for getting some of the fun stuff out of the mountains. I vote yes. Not that votes mean much.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

I'd spend all my time generating worlds where meteors just recently hit before I can take over.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5