Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark supplies editing tool?  (Read 5465 times)

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
Embark supplies editing tool?
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:46:20 am »

Umm, I know this is cheating, but did anyone devised a tool for editing starting supplies? I think someone mentioned something like that. I want to experiment with some submegaprojects without bothering with setting up entire food industry.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark supplies editing tool?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:08:22 am »

Just change the dwarves to not needing to eat or drink
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:15:47 pm »

Not 100% sure if it allows you to change starting points/items, but this allows you to edit how many dwarfs you embark with and their skills. Also a lot of other fun stuff.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:28:58 pm »

Not 100% sure if it allows you to change starting points/items, but this allows you to edit how many dwarfs you embark with and their skills. Also a lot of other fun stuff.
Looks like you forgot a link there. What are you talking about?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:24:06 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tweak

Only works in 40d, so if you're using the d# series and have mods you'll need to make sure the two versions are identical. The easiest thing to do would be to add [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK][NO_SLEEP][SPEED:0], as it it can be altered more-or-less on the fly and leaves you with full megaproject potential. Also, remove [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT].

If you use Tweak and just alter the embark, I would recommend setting up the food and drink portions of your embark profile in Notepad. You'll be on the embark screen all day otherwise.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:25:48 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:35:52 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:25:06 am »

You could also modify Iron to be worth a billion times more than it is, then lose your anvil at startup. Mod it back to its proper value after embark.

Or likewise with steel and lose the two axes if you wanted the anvil for your megaproject.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

blur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 02:09:19 pm »

Use ArtMoney. It's another memory hacking program, working with nearly all games. Using this utility, i've created a adventurer legendary in all skills and a Fortress embarking with each 100000 Platinum bars, GCS meat barrels and booze barrels, and every dwarf was proficient in all skills. It's not very complicated, but you have to do a bit of trial and error if you don't know the utility very well.

bhamv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 03:32:41 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=949.0

Dtil does exactly what you're looking for.  Basically, it allows you to edit your starting party's skills and the number of dwarves you get (so, if you wanted to, you could embark with 50 dwarves who are legendary in all skills).  It also allows you to edit how many starting points you get for skills and items, and freeze that number.  So if you give yourself 2000 points, and then freeze it, you can buy all the items you want.  If you wanted to, you could embark with hundreds of every available food item and drink.

I find Dtil handy for when I just want to get a megaproject going.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Dtil also works very well with modded versions of DF.  If, for example, you've created a new type of stone, Dtil's vein helper will include that stone.  Seriously, I love this thing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:35:48 pm by bhamv »

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »

Dtil does exactly what you're looking for.  Basically, it allows you to edit your starting party's skills and the number of dwarves you get (so, if you wanted to, you could embark with 50 dwarves who are legendary in all skills).
Does that actually work? In unedited DF, you can only raise the dwarves' skill levels up to Proficient on embark. Is the jump from Proficient to Talented so expensive or can you only start with 50 dwarves who are Proficient in all skills?
That's still pretty good, but I just wanted to ask.

bhamv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:49:27 pm »

Dtil does exactly what you're looking for.  Basically, it allows you to edit your starting party's skills and the number of dwarves you get (so, if you wanted to, you could embark with 50 dwarves who are legendary in all skills).
Does that actually work? In unedited DF, you can only raise the dwarves' skill levels up to Proficient on embark. Is the jump from Proficient to Talented so expensive or can you only start with 50 dwarves who are Proficient in all skills?
That's still pretty good, but I just wanted to ask.

Dtil allows you to edit the skill directly, instead of "buying" the skill with your embark points.  So instead of spending the 10 points you get next to each dwarf's name, you just click on a dwarf in Dtil, click on the skill(s) you want to boost, and choose a value from 0 to 15.  15 being legendary.

So, to confirm, you can embark with 50 dwarves who can have legendary skill levels in whatever skills you want.  I actually once embarked with 50 legendary miners, each with a pick, right on top of a human town.  I just wanted to see what happens when I undermine the whole town.  That was fun.