Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Designing A Town, Ducimkol "Workwheels" (Formerly "Small Megaproject Help")  (Read 4075 times)

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
Re: Designing A Town, Ducimkol "Workwheels" (Formerly "Small Megaproject Help")
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 06:12:05 am »

make a watermill near the river and the mayors house?

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 09:03:44 am »

AHA! I need a gladiator's pit... I think I will make one...
This

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 09:41:35 am »

I thought you might like an idea I'm using in my current partially-outdoors fort.

One of my buildings is an artist's studio.  On the top floor is the work room, containing the gem setter's workshop.  It has a glass ceiling to allow natural light in for the artist's work.  Downstairs is a room with a bed, some booze, food, and furniture.  The cellars contain stockpiles for items I want to be decorated, art supplies (bones, gems), and items the artist has finished decorating.

The building is cast from obsidian :) and the studio living quarters are engraved.

There is a single door entrance.  The artist is a shut-in.  He is forbidden to use the door :)
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 09:58:37 am »

TGL, would you allow me to inquire upon your starting build? It must take a while to make each building. Do you have two carpenters? Two masons?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »

make a watermill near the river and the mayors house?
I have yet to have a mayor, but the current leader is one of my carpenters. My broker is also my farmer and my record keeper was once a tanner, I believe. I still need a millhouse design, and as I said before, can be either on-lake or on-river. Though, I do like the previously said idea of carpenter's mill with the waterwheel (for aesthetic value).

AHA! I need a gladiator's pit... I think I will make one...
This

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brilliant!! I HAVE AN IDEA! I am going to design an arena where the floor is going to be intertwined floor and grate so that the blood of the enemies will drip into a water pool underneath. It won't serve any purpose other than the fact that the idea of a dwarf on one side, and a goblin on the other and red blood beneath giant grates is somehow... Amazing. (If someone where to draw that, I would give them mad props)

I thought you might like an idea I'm using in my current partially-outdoors fort.

One of my buildings is an artist's studio.  On the top floor is the work room, containing the gem setter's workshop.  It has a glass ceiling to allow natural light in for the artist's work.  Downstairs is a room with a bed, some booze, food, and furniture.  The cellars contain stockpiles for items I want to be decorated, art supplies (bones, gems), and items the artist has finished decorating.

The building is cast from obsidian :) and the studio living quarters are engraved.

There is a single door entrance.  The artist is a shut-in.  He is forbidden to use the door :)
Hm. Intriguing. I might look into it, though I am not one for obsidian casting. My magma is 2 levels down and I don't have any bauxite currently. The idea is a good one, and I might use it for my later journeymen houses.

TGL, would you allow me to inquire upon your starting build? It must take a while to make each building. Do you have two carpenters? Two masons?
Yes you may. My start was a little like this:
3 miner/masons
3 wood cutters/carpenters
1 farmer/brewer

I now have 16 dwarves. I added:
1 Glassmaker
1 Clerk (record keeper)/mason/carpenter
1 Thresher/farmer/mason/carpenter
1 Weaver/farmer/mason/carpenter
1 Clothier/farmer/mason/carpenter
1 Gem Cutter/mason/carpenter
1 Gem Setter/mason/carpenter
And 2 random dwarves who mostly haul and mason/carpenter

I also used Dtil to start with 500 gabbro stones. Everything else I have cut, mined or (glass) blown into existence.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 07:07:55 pm »

Brilliant!! I HAVE AN IDEA! I am going to design an arena where the floor is going to be intertwined floor and grate so that the blood of the enemies will drip into a water pool underneath.

I hate to burst your bubble, but that's not gonna fly :( I know this because my champions have been murdering the utter fuck out of many goblins in my drowning corridor, which is lined with grates, and the tiles below the grates are squeaky clean.

If you really want to make it like the Colosseum, reserve the level underneath it for a maze of twisty little passages (all alike) that hold cages with various dangerous creatures and end in hatch-covered ramps to the arena floor. Link each cage and hatch to a lever (or different ones, I doubt it matters) so you can control just how many nasties your gladiators are fighting.

Bonus points if you separate the arena floor into compartments that each have a different fighting environment. Maybe a regular block floor in the one, grow trees and shit in another, have sand-covered hills in the third (sand-colored constructions on top of which you can dump sand? Dunno how that'd work, or maybe use a tile editor) and swimmable water in the last. (For battling carp, natch.)

Yes, the Romans did all that and more. Except less compartments and more altering the configuration of the entire arena, but that's less feasible in DF. Oh and their lions and shit were lifted into the arena on slave-powered platforms.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:10:55 pm by Rat Of Wisdom »
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 07:15:15 pm »

Brilliant!! I HAVE AN IDEA! I am going to design an arena where the floor is going to be intertwined floor and grate so that the blood of the enemies will drip into a water pool underneath.

I hate to burst your bubble, but that's not gonna fly :( I know this because my champions have been murdering the utter fuck out of many goblins in my drowning corridor, which is lined with grates, and the tiles below the grates are squeaky clean.

If you really want to make it like the Colosseum, reserve the level underneath it for a maze of twisty little passages (all alike) that hold cages with various dangerous creatures and end in hatch-covered ramps to the arena floor. Link each cage and hatch to a lever (or different ones, I doubt it matters) so you can control just how many nasties your gladiators are fighting.

Bonus points if you separate the arena floor into compartments that each have a different fighting environment. Maybe a regular block floor in the one, grow trees and shit in another, have sand-covered hills in the third (sand-colored constructions on top of which you can dump sand? Dunno how that'd work, or maybe use a tile editor) and swimmable water in the last. (For battling carp, natch.)

Yes, the Romans did all that and more. Except less compartments and more altering the configuration of the entire arena, but that's less feasible in DF. Oh and their lions and shit were lifted into the arena on slave-powered platforms.

Not to mention the part where they flooded the coliseum and had sea battles. complete with sharks
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 07:27:12 pm »

I hate to burst your bubble, but that's not gonna fly :( I know this because my champions have been murdering the utter fuck out of many goblins in my drowning corridor, which is lined with grates, and the tiles below the grates are squeaky clean...

...Bonus points if you separate the arena floor into compartments that each have a different fighting environment. Maybe a regular block floor in the one, grow trees and shit in another, have sand-covered hills in the third (sand-colored constructions on top of which you can dump sand? Dunno how that'd work, or maybe use a tile editor) and swimmable water in the last. (For battling carp, natch.)
The aesthetic "you know it to be true" value is what I was going for on the bloodworks. I might make my arena be an open pit where I can build structures to have "mock" battles in. I might throw in an overhang so that I can make the soldiers spar in there. The grates would also allow me to have the "flood arena" lever, which would be awesome, quite honestly.

And secondly, I have no carp. :(
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 07:34:56 pm »

Not to mention the part where they flooded the coliseum and had sea battles. complete with sharks

I did say "all that and more"... :P

The aesthetic "you know it to be true" value is what I was going for on the bloodworks. I might make my arena be an open pit where I can build structures to have "mock" battles in. I might throw in an overhang so that I can make the soldiers spar in there. The grates would also allow me to have the "flood arena" lever, which would be awesome, quite honestly.

Hm.

Do captured gobs pick up and use weaponry you leave lying around?

I'm thinking an Unreal Tournament-style arena with structures and shit (major bonus points if you use drawbridges for walls and retracting ones for ceilings so you can alter the arena's configuration on-the-fly, but I'm not sure how well that'd work) where you dump a bunch of weapons (and armor if they'll use that too), put a gob at one end, a champ at the other (both wearing nothing) and let 'em at each other.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 08:53:48 pm »

I did say "all that and more"... :P

Hm.

Do captured gobs pick up and use weaponry you leave lying around?

I'm thinking an Unreal Tournament-style arena with structures and shit (major bonus points if you use drawbridges for walls and retracting ones for ceilings so you can alter the arena's configuration on-the-fly, but I'm not sure how well that'd work) where you dump a bunch of weapons (and armor if they'll use that too), put a gob at one end, a champ at the other (both wearing nothing) and let 'em at each other.
I don't know! That's a good question!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 06:30:13 pm »

Sorry for double posting, but...

Had first human caravan. The pond has been expanded, millhouse had been started. Windmill has been designed on paper... um... Bar has been completed, as have the stables.

NOW! To my megaproject... Making the river larger, making a the pond into a lake and building my keep and turning my town to a city!!!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 07:19:33 pm »

Watchtowers, the view range of dwarves might make them useless (I'm not totally sure) but in reality they would allow you to see far into the distance from each corner of your settlement.
 A market? Having assorted shops where items are on display around a town square.
 A non-drawbridge bridge for your river. The kind that arches and could (in reality) be fished from, although you could have some steps or a ramp down to the water.
 When you make the jail, remember to have a single grate high above in each dungeon room that the prisoner can look at forlornly.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 07:31:30 pm »

NOW! To my megaproject... Making the river larger, making a the pond into a lake and building my keep and turning my town to a city!!!

I was just going to ask what your project actually is, too.

You know, I think the old criterion for becoming a city was whether or not you had a cathedral...

Also, you're gonna need a bank, and you're gonna need to stock it absolutely fuckin' chock full of really valuable coins, in a vault with masterwork steel floodgates, etc. And you're gonna need to have little glass windows with chairs behind them assigned to your tellers. Yes, these things will be absolute hell to deal with, but a megaproject is nothing if not exceedingly impractical...

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 11:27:25 pm »

This thread inspired me to build my own aboveground town- currently it's just three buildings, discounting the Tower.

The Tower is a spiral staircase up to a small room at z_10, and a 'diving board' at z-15.

Y'see, I arbitrarily decided that my farmerdorf was an arsehole, so I decided to do something about it. I'd brought a craptonne of dogs with me on embark, so I had my ammunition. I just needed a launcher, so I built the Tower. Now my farmer's life is like one of those simple flash games where you have to catch objects before they hit the ground- only with more being smacked in the face by dismembered puppy bits.

TL;DR: This town is an inspiration, my farmer gets his own personal weather gorecast
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:51:50 pm by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 02:37:34 pm »

Hahaha, nice.

Anyways, The pond is being filled, currently, which means that my FPS is... having issues...

I am looking at keep and wall designs currently. Time to make myself a castle!
Pages: 1 [2] 3