Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Designing A Town, Ducimkol "Workwheels" (Formerly "Small Megaproject Help")  (Read 4081 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

I am building an above ground dwarven city. That's not my megaproject, but it will be part of it. What kind of buildings do you think dwarves have? I mean, I have several storage/workshop towers and a bunch of houses. I have an inn for incoming migrants and a record keepers house above my depot. I am currently building a bar for my gathering place. What else does a "dwarven" town have? And what does it look like?

All buildings have statues on the outside for the aesthetic look. They serve no purpose other than to look good.

Built Buildings Thus Far:

Inn:
5x5 room, with tables and chairs all around the bottom floor, all are free rooms with meeting halls. Stairs on one side, door on the opposite. Second floor has dispersed beds that are all (b)arracks for incoming migrants to sleep in. Top floor is open to the air, with fortifications all around the top with a statue.
Spoiler: Floor Plans (click to show/hide)

Housing:
13 (of 15) complete 3x3 houses have been built. Each house is two story. Bottom story contains bedroom, container and cabinet. Second floor is open to the air and is surrounded by fortifications. Each house also has a statue garden for its owner on the roof (family gods?).

Trade Depot/Record Keeper's House:
Trade depot on bottom floor, with the record keeper having a three-story house above. First house floor has table, chair, cabinet and container. Second floor is solely bedroom. Top floor is open to the air with a statue garden and fortifications.

Stables:
Stables are complete. Tall wooden building with individual small stalls. Includes loft for kennels (later use?). Made solidly of wood, has an almost "Rohan"-ish look. (Idea by: bmaczero)

Bar/Great Hall:
Self explanatory. 9x19 room with chairs and tables for all fortress members (all 16 of them). Sloped roof for hall-like affect. 4 doors, two on either side. Almost half way done. Secondary hall above has been added. The roof is sloped and comes to an almost point. Cinnabar pillars have been added for affect and two glass statues adorn each side of the cinnabar pillars. (Green glass on red stone pillars? Deal with it) The tables/chairs were rearranged to make 4x4 "tables". Looks like a bar now.

Pond:
Has been dug! Three levels deep, it is ready to be flooded by the river which is right next to it. Currently mining out cinnabar and stignite veins that appeared at the bottom of the pond. Is now full of water and fish. Success!

Wharf/Millhouse:
Millhouse is complete. Features 3 waterwheels and a millstone. The gear assembly is hooked up to disassemble. The bridge to the vault has 2 switches, one in the millhouse and one in the vault (for testing).

Still Being Worked On:

Arena:
Has been dug and planned. Bridges in the center will open for magma access. If the battle gets boring, then the bridges will open revealing the magma, 1-2 z-levels down. First one to dodge in loses...

Underwater Vault:
Pond has been dug and filled. Beginning Vault shaft. Progress has been slow due to wall building and clear-cutting.

Walls:
Starting placing wall beams to designate future wall positioning.

Road:
Plan is to have green glass block road from depot to left and right of the map for wagon access.

River Expansion/Bridges:
Self explanatory. I am channeling the brook to make it a larger river. Also to make it uncrossable unless over certain bridges, which will be built later.

Plans/Goals:

Quarry?

Castle/keep

Temple/cathedral

Workshop housing

Storage facilities

(#x# measurements are NOT including outside walls)

Spoiler: Citizens (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:59:29 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Small Megaproject Help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:23 pm »

I like the inn idea.  The bar is also excellent thought also :).  Make a bar counter out of tables, and several small table/chair clusters around the room.  You could put a small booze stockpile that (T)akes from the cellars, or maybe several 1-tile ones that each accept a different type of booze so there's always what the dwarves want on-hand.

How about stables?  Chain up your livestock in stalls in a building that also contains the butcher's and tanner's shops.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 11:02:30 pm »

A small back room for either the bar or the inn recruit a couple of special "Adventurers" and give them their dining room tables there and then put their barracks in there so you get brawls/duels.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 11:11:06 pm »

I like those ideas and I will implement them soon. Thank you for sharing.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 11:14:30 pm »

Artifact hall, a place where retired artifacts or masterworks are place for the viewing pleasure of others.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:15:53 pm »

Well, I think you were as impressed by Matchshield as I was, so you could sneak a peek there for inspiration, but other than that you can look at IRL cities. SimCity is also a good place to get some staple planning concepts; for instance maybe I'm a hardcore gamer but whenever I look at a city I can't help seeing the factories and heavy industry on little yellow blocks, the houses on little green ones and the office buildings on blue.

You could try splitting things up along those lines. You wouldn't need more than one office building- make it multiple stories tall and increasingly spiffy as it goes up (and unless you cast it from obsidian, in which case you are truly the dwarfiest of the dwarfy, this will take some legendary skills, because you can't engrave constructions), then assign any noble that needs an office to it. Split up your appointed noble positions so you get a maximum number of dorfs using the building.

Housing could be separated into one-story, perhaps even single-room residences for your poorer class, and fancier abodes for legendaries/champions/what-have-you. You could even do a sort of East/West Berlin thing and have some recruits patrol a clear divider between the rich and poor areas. Given the way dorf nobles act I don't think that'd be very far out of the ordinary.

Industry could be separated by type (perhaps by material? Carpenter's workshops near craftshops that only allow woodcrafters, etc) and located on the outskirts, with the depot somewhere near, and possibly an auxiliary office for your broker. (Transport and logistics are usually considered heavy industry, after all.)

TL;DR make like SimCity but cast the whole thing from obsidian.

Oh you wanted a fantasy city?

Minas Tirith from the movies. That is all. Tiers, spiffy architecture, siege weapons, constant threat of being KILL BY DEMONS GREENSKINS DEMONS AND GREENSKINS... if the Dwarves had built their shit above ground I don't think they could have done a dwarfier job than that city.

And yeah, inns and bars and shit are awesome no matter how you slice it.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:28:18 pm »

Despite the TL;DR, I read it anyways. For inspiration. :)

Anyways, I have always wanted to make a above ground fortress and Matchshield is what sparked my interest yet again, but it's not Matchshield that I am going after. So far I have not very much built. All dwarves have single room houses, and everyone eats in the WIP bar/Great Hall. I am currently digging out my lake, which will also double as my underwater In-Case-Carp-Happens Vault.

The city I am building is going to mainly work around this lake, and will eventually have walls. I currently have only one source of stone, and that is from the bottom of a dug out store room.

I need a quarry...

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was debating whether or not to add this but figured my post had already rambled overly:

If you can think of a theme for your town, you can base it around that.

In this case, you could build all your houses around the lake, spare a z-level for plumbing, and give each residence a well.

Ooh, screw that, you could do the whole fantasy sewer thing. Made of stone (this means digging and re-building if in a soil layer), 3 tiles wide everywhere, with an open channel in the middle (with flow, natch) and occasional grates that bridge it. Perhaps an even wider one that leads into a chasm or something, with smaller tributary tunnels from each district/household. Give each house a well and a place to pit its trash. (The wells would require some pumping to separate the clean water from the sewers, at least in spirit. Or you could use separate z-levels for water supply and sewage.) The flow'd wash the refuse away towards wherever, or at least that's the general idea.

Bonus points if you capture whatevermen and chain them at various points in your sewer system.

I'll stop rambling now.

EDIT: blah I just saw your edit.

I live in Holland so I'm going to have to suggest a windmill for your milling needs. Especially considering it's above ground. A design you say? But of course.

Code: [Select]
+║+
+O+   Z+2
+║+

╔═══╗
║+++║
║+o+║   Z+1
║+++║
╚═══╝

╔═════╗
║==+==║
║=+++=║
║++☼ó+║   Z0
║=+o+=║
║==+==║
╚══┼══╝

Stockpiles are for millable plants, natch.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:58:51 pm by Rat Of Wisdom »
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

No, no, ramble. I think you are a genius... However, I embarked on flatlands so I have nothing "special". I do, however, have sand, flux, magma, running river, constant rain and obsidian. No aquifer. Good map.

You did, however, inspired me to make a showerhouse once my lake is completed...

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn, this shit's inspiring. Either that or lateness of the hour and mild intoxication are conspiring in me to produce truly dwarven thinking.

So you could also sort of make a water mill. Put carpenters' workshops in it, wood stockpiles, have a water wheel next to it, build giant sawblade weapon traps that your carpenters have to haul wood through to make anything. It's not particularly practical, but the idea made me lol somewhat.

Also, fishing wharf yes. Bonus points if you build wooden pillars down to the bottom of the lake to support it.

Showerhouse is awesome, makes me think of Roman bath houses, except a whole lot trickier to engineer. (You could build a bath house too, although it might be more useful in training swimmers.)

That's it I'm going to bed it's 6 AM what the fuck. Ta ta for now, rock on (ha ha pun intended oh god kill me.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:09:56 am by Rat Of Wisdom »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Designing A Town, Ducimkol "Workwheels" (Formerly "Small Megaproject Help")
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 12:07:29 am »

For future code reference, how do you get the ASCII characters?

It definitely is inspiring. Really really inspiring, which is why I am asking for all this. I need more stuff to put into my town. I think I am going to expand on your windmill idea, though. Despite that, I am still going to have a waterwheel as well. Adds to the effect.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 12:12:07 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Character_table

If anyone knows of a way to do that other than painful cut-and-paste, I'd love to hear it. WHEN I WAKE UP.

Tabbed browsing will be the death of humanity, I swear.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 12:54:23 am »

Human towns often have giant cisterns. Dwarves would naturally have to outdo them by building a giant water tower, preferably out of steel since it's the dwarfiest metal (after the special blue metal, but short of cheating you can't get enough of that to make a good water tower). Bonus points for rigging it up so by pulling levers you can refill the town wells.

What else would the dwarves have? A museum, filled with the dwarf equivalent of fine art (lots of decorations of cheese)? Or if we're talking about a more swords and sorcery style town, how about a town square with a fountain. Would require some digging and an underground cistern, then use pumps to pressurize water (at least, I think that will work) and have it bubble up through grates, then drain through more grates back into the cistern. Try to get the pressure right so your dwarves can safely path through the water at the edges.

Of course, every town needs a jail. Use some dark, forboding stone (import if if you don't have a quarry) and steel bars. Anything else is up to you, whether you want to make the jail a rehab facility or make the jail a living hell.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 12:58:31 am »

I have a lake. That's a start, I guess. In the end, I'm probably going to end up with more than one lake...

However, I am going to build a dwarven showerhouse, which will be really cool.

A cistern... Seeing as how this map almost continually rains and I have a river... is that really necessary?

AHA! I need a gladiator's pit... I think I will make one...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:03:34 am »

Why don't you make communal housing, say for the 'poor people'? wooden shacks with crappy furniture, a cabinet, while richer people have spacious houses made of stone?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: [1] 2 3