Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Just some group of people, out to make a name for themselves in the world...  (Read 12524 times)

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence

This looks like fun. I will make an application or is it too late?

Name: Matis Oxhart
Goal: Learn all kinds of magic and apply it to all kinds of situations.
Spoiler: History (click to show/hide)

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

Name: Frederick XV
Goal: To learn magic, and torch his home village.
Backstory: While he was growing up, Frederick was often mocked by the other children in his village for his clumsiness. He was one of those people who are always picked last for games like kick-the-can. One day he vowed to become a powerful mage and torch the lot of them, or die trying.
The academies laughed at his feeble application.

My name is Ranar, me and my four friends shall start a world class guild of explorers. (adventure, travel, exploitation of the land ect.)

name: schaudy
interest: necromancy/ seeing things through the eyes of others

name: RAM
 Interested in magic but has yet to find a discipline they like.

Dyjeccu had a troubled childhood: through the elements of nature, and the cruelty and greed of mankind, he understands suffering. He longs to protect and ease the burdens of those troubled.
While they stopped at his birth village for the night, Dyjeccu recognized Ranar, Frederick, Schaudy and RAM as a chance to cast his fate.

Intrest: Healer or guardian

Waiting:
Name: Matis Oxhart
Goal: Learn all kinds of magic and apply it to all kinds of situations.
Spoiler: History (click to show/hide)

Due to your history, I think I'll delay a bit. You won't arrive for a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Mistake:
"Days shall be 10 hours long, and count from sunrise."
Should have been 20 hours long.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dyjeccu had left with Ranar(Criptfeind), and they continued on their way, eventually arriving at the town.
Although it is 1 hour to sunset, it can be assumed that your characters will find shelter on their own.

RAM spends a few hours scouting, although doesn't find anything especially out of the ordinary. Just trees. On the way, he practices magical hand gestures, but due to the fact that he doesn't know any yet, it has very little effect. (1% chance to stumble upon magic: 40. It is far above 1, so failed. Next day, a 1.5% chance.)
Eh?
Eh!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aw, I was 5 minutes to late to post an action. Could I please auto-attempt to learn magic (with meditation) when my turn needs to be skipped?

For my action, I'll look for edible berries. If I don't know of any, I look for dull colored berries. Upon finding the unidentified berries, I'll begin the long process of testing for poison. For the first day, I pop it into my mouth and spit it out immediately.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is the start of the game, I don't mind it being too disorganized.

The chance to learn magic was for the assumed entire day of casual attempts while you did other things. If you set aside time to specifically study, that day might have a bonus to the probability or something(I think an additional 1% added at the end and maybe a slight bonus on the roll itself)

So, during that last turn, you were looking for berries, and found some. There were 3 types, 2 of them already known to you, and perfectly safe. The other looks harmless, but you are unsure. You pick a bunch of the known ones and a few of the unknown.
Eh?
Eh!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hurray! Now to test the unknowns for poison with a method that should only be fatal with magically highly-poisonous berries. I pop an unknown into my mouth, and spit it out again. I spend the entire day saying gibberish, trying to learn a magic word.

Yes, the gibberish comes after the berry.

No, I don't think my friends will wonder about my gibberish. I popped an unknown berry into my mouth.

Ah, nevermind the berry. I don't see any real point to it, so I'll just speak gibberish.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:36:26 am by Nirur Torir »

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile

i send my butterfly to the most famous guild. they might be frauds.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile

Looks cool. I might join.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try to find a job, in town, also practice magic with assumed entire day of casual attempts. If no job try magic harder with leftover time.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BUMP!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It has only been six hours... some people have jobs or go to school.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i send my butterfly to the most famous guild. they might be frauds.

The problem with that is that they wouldn't have become the most famous unless they really were powerful or had devoted countless years into perfecting/exploring their art(s). The greatest smith guild in the world wouldn't be the greatest if all it produced was shoddy lumps of metal (Although that would be sufficient if they called it art and sold it as such.)

Further, they would have paid a mage guild to cast protective magics on their buildings, or done it themselves. So, you could expect your butterfly to do anything from disintegrate to simply be unable to approach, or maybe trip an alarm, or get captured, or anything, really. And if they percieved a threat, you could expect them to retaliate.

Face it. They are most certainly extremely competant, otherwise someone like you would have succeeded.

Also, fame is decided soley by public opinion and established presence. Similar, I guess, to real-world corperations. You know the main companies, like Disney and others, and you know how there are competitors and it all comes down to personal choice? Well, take out the global distribution and laws governing monopolies, and it gets very close to the situation here. From my knowledge of the world.

Try to find a job, in town, also practice magic with assumed entire day of casual attempts. If no job try magic harder with leftover time.

As this is the start, the whole game is one big mass of chaos, so it isn't even the second day yet.

Also, anyone want to claim character colours?
Eh?
Eh!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sir, some people famed as the best may simply rely on stealing from those who would be better. see doctor schaudenfrauid of the movie "igor".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Orange.

Dyjeccu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Claiming green.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frederick spends a few hours speaking gibberish. Occasionally, he thinks he feels something, as if it actually nearly caused something magical, but it was probably just his imagination. But still...
(+0.1% chance to learn the most basic magic tomorow. It would have been more, but it's the end of the day, so less time put in is less results)

Ranar and Dyjeccu didn't really have time to find any jobs, so they just settled down for the night. Ranar spends some of the time considering magic(1% chance of success: 16. Failed.), but didn't get anywhere, (+0.1% better chance tomorow)

It is the end of the day, and everyone sleeps.

(From now on, turns will be entire days, although it could switch to half-days or even minutes if the situation needs it. If you were fighting someone, time would pass very slowly, but I would probably ignore the other characters, so the fight could proceed very rapidly. By ignore, I mean try to have the fight pass really quickly, by posting as fast as the fighter can answer. If they don't respond, I'll assume that they are logged off and try to find some way to get a turn for the rest of the people.)

(new post)
sir, some people famed as the best may simply rely on stealing from those who would be better. see doctor schaudenfrauid of the movie "igor".

Yes, well, it is common practice among the greater groups to actually invite in lesser groups that have discovered something truely unique. Take the example of valve and portal. They hired fresh talent to develop their idea with better funding.

Outright stealing of ideas does happen, although rarely, since only the largest groups have the materials to push the boundary of knowledge anyway, and they have the best anti-theft spells in place. It would take incredible luck to discover something previously unknown, except in areas where the greatest limit is extremely rare materials required to use it.

It's like a high school student discovering a theory that explains some massive scientific mystery at the subatomic level, without having the tools to get even slight bits of data. Further, each new discovery is one less discovery someone else can make, so even though anyone could come up with some simpler household device, it was already invented 38 years ago or something.

Now, I am not saying that there isn't any chance of discovering something new, and that when it happens, that nobody will try to steal it, just that the greatest guilds would more likely outright buy the knowledge or hire the discoverer rather than try to steal it. The real theives would be the lesser groups that can't afford to trade for it, and don't have the reputation to intrest the discoverer.

Also, unlike a RTD, only the percentage chances get an actual random result. Almost everything else is made up a moment before.

Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11