Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unkillable Creatures with Tissue Layers?  (Read 1028 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unkillable Creatures with Tissue Layers?
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:55:55 pm »

Just a question. Now, the next version will have all sorts of caste stuff and tissue layer stuff. Does anyone know however how tissue layers work? If a being can't be killed via bleeding, and you set it up so even if you chop off all its external organs/tissue layers, it has protected internal ones that can't be accessed, could you make a being that could conceivably never die?

I was thinking about how one would implement a Great Old One, or some sort of thing which would just, instead of dying, lie there on the ground forever....not really dead, but not really alive.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Unkillable Creatures with Tissue Layers?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:13:34 pm »

Well, some of the new raw previews show that magma men aren't made of anything except magma, so presumably they'll still die if the tissue layers get damaged enough or something.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:21:46 pm »

Magma men and the like die when a "vital" bodypart (lower body, upper body, head) is severed. There currently isn't (and won't be in the next version) any means of bypassing that, besides not giving the creature any UPPERBODY or LOWERBODY parts, which may or may not cause some undesirable effects.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 01:02:18 am »

If organs have a size of 0, then they cannot be hit iirc, and it would probably be possible to create in impenetrable material to use as skin for the creature, as, (i think) you have to get through each layer to harm the one below it. Not entirely sure if it would be protected from crushing damage, though. You could probably use the [NO_PAIN], no bleeding etc tags to stop organ damage from affecting the creature, and it might be possible to make the vital parts invulnerable through ridiculous custom materials.

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 06:48:10 am »

as 3 said, Creature without any vital parts(including upperbody and lowerbody) will be immortal
see http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48395.15 to get example of such creature

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 06:50:31 am »

Unless you mod in a disease which is able to kill such creature :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:03:42 pm »

as 3 said, Creature without any vital parts(including upperbody and lowerbody) will be immortal
see http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=48395.15 to get example of such creature
Mighty magma would still burn it away, or melt it. Im pretty sure that would kill it.

Unless you at [MELTING_POINT:NONE] and all the similar tags.

Even then you can still atom smasm or chasm them though.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 09:51:36 am »

No need for the melting point tags - FIREIMMUNE should do it.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 04:45:58 pm »

Or FIXEDTEMP, for that matter. Which I believe magmamen already have, so yeah, no solidifying magma dudes. Also, if you give a creature the MEGABEAST or POWER tags, they wont be atom-smashable. Combine this with the lack of infinite pits in the next version, and the ability to make adamantine-like (or stronger) tissues, and immortal creatures certainly don't seem far off.

Edit: On the subject of Great Old Ones, you could manage something with a syndrome that produces incredibly long lived unconsciousness. Perhaps you could give it poisonous blood that it's not immune to, and only give the vascular tag to it's deepest innards. Only issue then is keeping it from bleeding to death. An absurd toughness rating maybe?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:12:34 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:14:59 pm »

I thought that what made creatures atom-smash exempt was a size above 10.  From the Wiki:

Immune Creatures
Creatures with a size larger than 10 cannot be crushed by a lowering drawbridge - instead, the bridge will deconstruct into its component parts. Such units will also prevent a lowered bridge from raising, as well as a retracting bridge from opening. Vermin seem to be entirely impervious to the atom smasher - it passes straight through them, leaving them on top of it.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »

Ah, that makes more sense. My mistake.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 12:59:55 am »

is there any way to prevent death from collapsed natural stone?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 05:47:56 am »

is there any way to prevent death from collapsed natural stone?

If thing gets directly under falling natural ground - no.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.