Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is a COW really that scary?  (Read 2718 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is a COW really that scary?
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:24:05 pm »

Seriously. I tried releasing the animals I just stole from a caravan (Cow, dog, mule, mule) from their cages, but they just put them into other cages that haven't been built as cages yet. And if there's no cages un-built the refuse to release them. The only other time I had this happen was when I captured a hostile creature.

FYI: I am releasing them by un-assigning them from the cage, which is how I usually do it.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Is a COW really that scary?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 02:31:24 pm »

So you build the cage, you remove the assignment, and your dwarves bring your animals to a different cage? That's simply odd. I released tons of animals doing just like that and never got something similar.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:41:39 pm »

So you build the cage, you remove the assignment, and your dwarves bring your animals to a different cage? That's simply odd. I released tons of animals doing just like that and never got something similar.

Exactly, though, the 'different cage' is always one sitting in my animal stockpile.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:42:33 pm »

Try building all cages, then releasing.

Or try forbidding al free cages.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:46:38 pm »

Seriously. I tried releasing the animals I just stole from a caravan (Cow, dog, mule, mule) from their cages, but they just put them into other cages that haven't been built as cages yet. And if there's no cages un-built the refuse to release them. The only other time I had this happen was when I captured a hostile creature.

FYI: I am releasing them by un-assigning them from the cage, which is how I usually do it.

Thats because the game thinks they still belong to the caravan and you have to wait until the caravan actually leaves the map before they are considered yours. Look at the units menu, they are considered as 'merchants' probably a bug, or a feature.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 02:47:03 pm »

It's because they're the caravan's animals, not yours. This happens if you steal animals because the animals are never officially transferred to your fortress. To truly release them, build their cage, link the cage to a lever, and pull the lever.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 02:47:52 pm »

It's because they're the caravan's animals, not yours. This happens if you steal animals because the animals are never officially transferred to your fortress. To truly release them, build their cage, link the cage to a lever, and pull the lever.

Or just wait until the caravan actually leaves the map.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:52:37 pm »

I'm trying the lever thing now, nothing else worked.

EDIT:: They're not merchants anymore, but they're just friendly, not mine, if I tame them they'd be mine, right?

If not I'll just kill and butcher them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:28:54 pm by C4lv1n »

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »

(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 06:04:37 pm »

Why can't I remember what that picture is from?

Oh yeah, I'm old...

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 06:05:56 pm »

It's the Nali WarCow from the original Unreal Tournament.

...also it's the avatar I always used in MP in that game, random tidbit of knowledge no one cared about, however that's why it came to mind.

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:23:24 pm »

Ah yes!  Now I remember. 

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 08:57:44 pm »

that was a good game ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 09:14:53 pm »

You realize this means we're now formally required to mod in War Cows and dorf Flak Cannons, right?
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 09:21:18 pm »

Oh noes, what have I caused. -.-;;

Pages: [1] 2