Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90697 times)

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! July 24th
« Reply #945 on: July 25, 2010, 07:45:43 pm »

Do you have Psionics yet?

I believe, from what I read, That you do.

So here is my char.

Name: Stas
Weapon of choice : Psi-Amp + 2 pistols and a crap load of flares + 1 grenade.

He is quite a strange bird. His skin has a strange purple-ish tint and he talks like the original Boba Fett (The one with the strange voice) and tends to put useless silences into his sentences "Good after....Noon gentlemen.". He gives no mercy what so ever to Aliens and especially to Ethereals.
Even though he is a Psionic Soldier he rushes in the fray. He doesn't speak much of his past. He rarely follows orders, often breaking off from the main team to kill off aliens on his own.

Extra Note : The UN pulled a lot of strings to get him into X-com.

Only for Cganya's eyes, but you probably figured it out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:08:02 pm by Stas »

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 26, 2010, 12:49:54 pm »

Well, that mission went better than I could have expected. 2 dead and a lost tank in a terror mission like that isn't bad at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 26, 2010, 12:53:25 pm »

i'll see what i can do stas but were actually about a month away from anyone using psionics. at the start of this month i can train 10 soldiers in psionics, they will be able to use said psionics at the beginning of the next month.

That said, i'll put your character into the roster. Once I get around to training red shirts in psionics (might take awhile) then i can get you one that has above average psionic strength.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 26, 2010, 02:27:52 pm »

Alright.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 26, 2010, 05:04:10 pm »

By the way, I'd like to clone Quibble as a psionic (therefore using telepathy to speak with his comrades, avoiding the whole language barrier) if my cloning comment wasn't obvious earlier. If you'd prefer I make a new character, this is also acceptable.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 26, 2010, 06:58:49 pm »

hmm maybe i should update my roster file.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: July 26, 2010, 11:33:28 pm »

ok i updated my roster so it makes more sense and gives me a bio(i based my stats from apocalypse so wouldn't help here).

name:Alexzander "bloodsheder" Piontek (real name)

equipment: Laser Rifle, Heavy laser

stats: high accuracy, med bravery, med reaction, low strength

bio: Polish descent, Alex has been wandering over the world as a self employed mercenary. his last contract he was guarding a Canadian Government official in Montreal when a harvester landed. Armed only with projectile weaponry he was no match compared to the advance alien technology. As he was moving the official, a reaper ran into the car. he was launched out of the car and watched the reaper devour the gov. noticing the reaper wielded flesh wounds from lasers, he quickly aims for the car's gas tank and blows up the reaper. turning around he finds it's handler a floater, the floater took 2 shots: 1 miss and 1 hit his arm glazing. fighting the pain, alex aimed for the head and fired his rifle mutilating its body. before x-com agents were able to evacuate him to safety he reported feeling a weird presence in his head suggesting there was a sectoid close, he was able to resist the mind control giving the agents enough time to find the source. he is currently being treated for plasma wounds but faces a dilemma of secrecy. seeing he has no job, he has requested for employment. his skills comes from fighting with the IRA, SAS, and against drug Mafias. as a gun for hire, he prefers working alone but will take in a protege. he has been train in long range combat and automatic weaponry or distances. his nickname comes from bleeding out his opponents.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 26, 2010, 11:42:17 pm »

Huh. it says his name is Alexzander, but I could swear I read that as Mary Sue.

Weird.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 26, 2010, 11:48:28 pm »

Huhuhuhuhuhu
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 26, 2010, 11:57:53 pm »

Doesn't matter how cool his back story is, he can still die stepping out of the sky ranger on his first mission. So I don't think it *quite* counts as a Mary Sue.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: July 27, 2010, 04:36:05 am »

Doesn't matter how cool his back story is, he can still die stepping out of the sky ranger on his first mission. So I don't think it *quite* counts as a Mary Sue.

How can you think that any of X-COM soldier can be Mary Sue?

One failed blaster bomb and WOOOOO.

No more Mary Sue's.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 27, 2010, 09:28:59 am »

ok i updated my roster so it makes more sense and gives me a bio(i based my stats from apocalypse so wouldn't help here).

name:Alexzander "bloodsheder" Piontek (real name)

equipment: Laser Rifle, Heavy laser

stats: high accuracy, med bravery, med reaction, low strength

bio: snip
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now see, this i can work with. I don't care how mary sue it is, it just needs background. as other have stated, you can make your character sound as awesome (or crazy) as you want, they all can die in a single turn rendering their status moot. bloodshedder's bio likely comes from before anya snow stepped into office (since I haven't fought a harvester ship in this LP).

The sentence where bloodshedder notices the reaper taking wounds from laser fire; was x-com already on scene? but if so, they wouldn't of had lasers since such weapons were developed under anya snow's watch. What would make more sense (both mechanically and logically) was that he noticed the reaper was weak to fire; giving a reason as to why bloodshedder shot the car's gas tank (which would cause a fire/explosion).

Now the sectoid part does not make sense, aliens never mix species (might be wrong about this when it comes to cydonia). Why? maybe the aliens don't even know they are working in concert? Maybe there is a strategy that involves making earth thing several alien worlds are attacking at once? Maybe the programmers couldn't/didn't allow that to happen in x-com. As for bloodshedder, it's possible that he is sensitive to psionics and unwittingly noticed some powerful psionic force assisting the floaters from beyond the battlescape.

X-Com was not supposed to be very successful before anya snow arrived on scene so it is safe to say that while bloodshedder managed to get some kills and have his ass dragged to safety, the missions still failed and no alien loots were recovered.

Floaters are paper thin, they fall like leaves in the wind to x-com's advanced projectile weapons so it is not a leap of faith that standard (or even high quality, he was a mercenary after all) could cause them harm if one gets a lucky shot. Taking the game's RNG into account, bloodshedder could have pulled off just about anything if he was lucky enough (invincible chrysilid anyone? can you imagine if he had a gun? oh god lobster men  :o)

Finally to address where bloodshedder has been all this time. Even grazing wounds take days to heal, plasma fire is nasty stuff and spreads if not neutralized. It has been designed to destroy living tissue faster than anything we can develop. Early on no one had the kind of knowledge required to properly treat these wounds. With Dr. Ross's work being so effective, bloodshedder was transferred to the x-com facility in north america for treatment...

So as you can see, I can take a crazy backstory and actually make something out of it. I really cant work with "he is awesome" or a short list of attributes. Those characters end up being whatever I make them (which might not be what you wanted).

and to answer CJ's unanswered question: Yes cloning is ok, anyone can request to clone their character but they will have to deal with the rank reset, stat changes and possible complications.

I'm going to write up a little random generator list that i can roll on that will list cloning effects. the full list will only be available once the LP is over.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 27, 2010, 06:23:43 pm »

crap i should have saved that screenshot i had of 2 sectoids and one floater during a terror mission, you are right it shouldn't happen the designers of the game didn't built a mixed species generator but i found them so can't complain.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 27, 2010, 06:27:19 pm »

That can happen very very very rarely when the game hiccups. Items sometimes turn into other items. Had a small launcher once that was loaded with a plasma pistol instead of a stun bomb.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 27, 2010, 07:46:09 pm »

Clearly that soldier expected to be fighting Superman.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 67