Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90714 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP UPDATED! May 30th
« Reply #855 on: June 07, 2010, 10:32:14 pm »

Story Post! spoiled for size of course :3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In unrelated news, I have an interview tomorrow at 9:30am (ewww I usually wake up at that hour...) but don't get too excited... it's at Walmart...

I do remember clearly stating on the application that I was interested in office positions only but when I asked the person who phoned me what the position was, all they replied with was that it was an "over night" job. Yeahhhhh..... Unless this is a call center thing, I doubt it's an office position.

But I need the money so... well at least it's better than over 90% of the other jobs I have had (assuming I'll be stocking shelves or something in retail.

Heh this is assuming I even get the job... >.< damn you pessimism.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:49:19 pm by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! June 7th
« Reply #856 on: June 07, 2010, 10:48:51 pm »

Well, if it's at Walmart I have three things to say.

1) I am sorry you couldn't find a Meijer looking for jobs. Though that might be my intense hatred of Walmart talking.

2) Why an office position at a store like Walmart? If you have to work (particularly at night) keep the labor physical so you don't drop dead, I always say. Though that may be my nocturnal tendencies talking.

3) Quibble, though that may be my insanity talking.

Looking forward to the update! Finally some action for Quibble.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 07, 2010, 11:30:50 pm »

Is lucsly part of the away team for this one? And if so, did he get a decent gun?
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 07, 2010, 11:33:18 pm »

Is lucsly part of the away team for this one? And if so, did he get a decent gun?

yes, and a laser rifle. good luck ^.^

Well, if it's at Walmart I have three things to say.

1) I am sorry you couldn't find a Meijer looking for jobs. Though that might be my intense hatred of Walmart talking.

2) Why an office position at a store like Walmart? If you have to work (particularly at night) keep the labor physical so you don't drop dead, I always say. Though that may be my nocturnal tendencies talking.

3) Quibble, though that may be my insanity talking.

Looking forward to the update! Finally some action for Quibble.

I dont know what Meijer is...

also Quibble will get all the explosions he could ever want in this next post. Thank you for you're patience.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 08, 2010, 12:18:47 am »

Bob is disturbed at the lack of research towards new close combat weaponry.  Particularly of the sharp variety.  I mean, what if the martians start sending plant based aliens at us?  Lasers and bullets won't do us much good then! (Stealth UFO Afterlight reference)

P.S. Yes I am fully aware that there are no lethal melee weapons in UFO defence/enemy unknown.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 08, 2010, 01:45:41 am »

Never played Afterlight, though I tried... Aftermath I think. It was entertaining in its own way, but calling it UFO was sorely misleading...

P.S.
 Yep, plasma swords are one of the big drawcards to apocalypse, few things are as satisfying as flying up to a wall, cutting a hole through it, and flying in to slice up some alien monstrosities...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 08, 2010, 07:52:00 am »

Stunrods are still pretty cool. Instead of them being dead you can dissect them or sell their body or something.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 08, 2010, 08:55:39 am »

Ehh-wha?

Maybe it's only in Ohio, then. Meijer's a Walmart like store, but without half the jobs in the China and all that. Same brands, lower prices or something.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 08, 2010, 09:56:22 am »

Yea the three 'after' UFO games aren't quite x-com.  The storyline is much different, far more post-apocalyptic (the aliens attacked.  They won.) Soldiers are much more survivable. In Afterlight Ute, a really really old woman soldier that looks like she's 50 pounds soaking wet, in up to date, but rather light armor can take 4 shots from a beastman heavy rifle (Two handed gun to something big enough to hold my two handed guns one handed.) before I pull her back.  My heavy armor guys hardly take damage at all unless the entire enemy squad is blasting away at them.

But it is x-com inspired, and has the geoscape and research stuff you got in missions deal.  But it is an entertaining game by it's own merit.  Just if you are expecting another hit like X-com you are probably going to be dissapointed.

Lategame in UFO afterlight 'little green men' show up. They take 5% damage from bullets. 1% if wearing armor.  But they are weak to melee slashing weapons.  So much so that doing an autopsy on one prompts your factories to start producing katanas because nothing else you can make works on them.  And they are the single reason why my combat squad all brings a backup sword or fire damage grenade with them into combat.  That was my reference.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 08, 2010, 10:16:29 am »

Ehh-wha?

Maybe it's only in Ohio, then. Meijer's a Walmart like store, but without half the jobs in the China and all that. Same brands, lower prices or something.
they are a family owned company based in michigan.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 08, 2010, 10:21:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 08, 2010, 10:23:57 am »

Going melee sounds like an interesting change of pace, I remember in Aftermath you just needed a couple of collapseable turret and you were pretty much invincible...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 08, 2010, 12:19:08 pm »

Has anyone tried UFO: Extraterrestrials?  I found a couple videos, hadn't even heard of it before.  It looks far more X-COM-like than the other "spiritual successors" I've researched.  It does have a few quirks however, such as accuracy drop-off at range, every gun uses ammo (even the stun rod and laser rifle!), region-based geoscape (rather than "they're everywhere!"), really useless base designs, and a couple other things. 

Oh yeah, and after a battle, you have to assign stat increases, like in a standard RPG.  They won't increase through practice.

On the one hand, it's more convenient.  You can just plug everything into firing accuracy until you've got an entire squad of long-ranged beasts who can pop an alien with a pistol at fifty yards.  On the other hand, it's not very immersive, and it can get a bit tedious if you've got a lot of soldiers who leveled up.

But, hey...  You get stun gas rockets and incendiary grenades.  And tanks that look really cool but die as quickly as your operatives.  And reaction fire FROM HELL.  Three aliens, about six reaction shots each, one operative who walked around the wrong corner.  Somebody call the mortician.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 08, 2010, 12:24:21 pm »

Huh, hadn't seen that one. I may have to try it out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 08, 2010, 12:36:10 pm »

Be aware that the pathfinding is utterly abominable.  I've honestly never seen such stupidity from a TBS.  Check out some videos and you'll see what I mean.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 67