Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90776 times)

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #720 on: April 30, 2010, 02:59:07 pm »

Poxy grenades can be remotely disabled safely by the clean up crew before they enter the area.  Claymores cannot, making them too great a risk to the non combatants to use.

I just load a auto cannon with explosive rounds for cleanup.
Though I rarely use mines since the wandering aliens are easy to deal with, its the reaction fire campers and snipers that cause problems.

EDIT:
On the plot side one would think x-com's equipment was state of the art and far better than anything available to normal military forces though the shoot forty degrees from the barrel rifles make it hard to believe this.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:10:06 pm by kuro_suna »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 30, 2010, 07:04:03 pm »

EDIT:
On the plot side one would think x-com's equipment was state of the art and far better than anything available to normal military forces though the shoot forty degrees from the barrel rifles make it hard to believe this.

This was covered earlier, if you would have read through it.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 02, 2010, 10:49:17 pm »

EDIT:

This was covered earlier, if you would have read through it.

I dug up the post this is covered in and its in the following spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just went and experimented with some proximity grenades in a separate throwaway save. They worked as advertised and only bugged out when I specifically saved and reloaded. I don't know why they did not work in my alien base assault mission >.< I will purchase some more in the near future and give them a second chance.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 02, 2010, 11:39:20 pm »

Weird. You'd think a bug would occur in all save files, not just the one.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 02, 2010, 11:42:31 pm »

Weird. You'd think a bug would occur in all save files, not just the one.

maybe the save file itself is bugged, maybe after so many turns the proximity grenades just stop working all together (was on turn 45 iirc). I don't know. I'll give them another try like I said but if they continue to be troublesome then I'll sell them and never look back.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #725 on: May 03, 2010, 12:22:05 am »

Hugh Mann: "Yay! I was right, the forces of nature were against me!"

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 03, 2010, 12:27:01 am »

wait... wut?

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 03, 2010, 02:32:59 am »

In addition to the table for armed proximity mines not saving or getting cleared at the end of the mission it seems like sometimes it gets the index that connects the armed status to the item mixed up. I think that each time you arm a mine (adding a entry to the armed table) or kill something (create a corpse item) you increase the chance something gets messed up.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 03, 2010, 06:13:18 am »

An M18 "Claymore" is an antipersonnel mine of United States origin. Antipersonnel mines are potentially very dangerous to non-combatants both during and long after the conflict, and as such, it is unlikely the US government would want American-made antipersonnel mines littered around Berlin, Singapore, Japan and Sidney as well as countless farms and forests, especially if done so by a trigger-happy paramilitary shadow organization.
Because of what soldiers and military scholars poignantly refer to as 'political bullshit' it occasionally happens that one must use a blowtorch in place of a flamethrower. The Proximity Grenade is not a mine. It is a grenade. It says so in our arsenal records right here. It automatically disarms itself at the end of a battle thanks to a built-in timer. But just to be safe, we have a bright red light on the top that clearly marks the grenade. Notice how its a grenade, not a mine? Aliens don't know bright red means danger. People should. And just to be safe, we have a public awareness campaign in effect regarding the dangers of bright red lights on little metal softballs, but currently our budget can only afford 2-5 AM advertising slots.

In addition, that Barret .50 anti-material rifle that's not allowed to be used on people? Aliens aren't people. We're also aiming for their helmets, just to be safe. Notice how helmets are material? If we could communicate with the aliens we'd tell them we only want to shoot their helmets and they should take them off and leave them in a safe area, but wouldn't you know, we don't know their language.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 03, 2010, 06:17:54 am »

An M18 "Claymore" is an antipersonnel mine of United States origin. Antipersonnel mines are potentially very dangerous to non-combatants both during and long after the conflict, and as such, it is unlikely the US government would want American-made antipersonnel mines littered around Berlin, Singapore, Japan and Sidney as well as countless farms and forests, especially if done so by a trigger-happy paramilitary shadow organization.
Because of what soldiers and military scholars poignantly refer to as 'political bullshit' it occasionally happens that one must use a blowtorch in place of a flamethrower. The Proximity Grenade is not a mine. It is a grenade. It says so in our arsenal records right here. It automatically disarms itself at the end of a battle thanks to a built-in timer. But just to be safe, we have a bright red light on the top that clearly marks the grenade. Notice how its a grenade, not a mine? Aliens don't know bright red means danger. People should. And just to be safe, we have a public awareness campaign in effect regarding the dangers of bright red lights on little metal softballs, but currently our budget can only afford 2-5 AM advertising slots.

In addition, that Barret .50 anti-material rifle that's not allowed to be used on people? Aliens aren't people. We're also aiming for their helmets, just to be safe. Notice how helmets are material? If we could communicate with the aliens we'd tell them we only want to shoot their helmets and they should take them off and leave them in a safe area, but wouldn't you know, we don't know their language.
Damn, that's what I should've said.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #730 on: May 03, 2010, 11:29:10 am »

wait... wut?
You know how in the alien base mission the proxy mines were ineffective or didn't activate. I guess my memory was just a bit fuzzy. Well, yeah. Basically, with knowing about that proxy mine bug, my character feels justified that it wasn't his fault they didn't detonate in the mission.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 03, 2010, 11:49:18 am »

wait... wut?
You know how in the alien base mission the proxy mines were ineffective or didn't activate. I guess my memory was just a bit fuzzy. Well, yeah. Basically, with knowing about that proxy mine bug, my character feels justified that it wasn't his fault they didn't detonate in the mission.

ah, that makes more sense. yeah It is a very annoying bug. also, my mp3 player has apparently died. yay >.<

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 03, 2010, 01:49:46 pm »

X-Com related side note: It crashes. A lot. For no apparent reason.
Go into a mission? 25% odds of a crash.
Get out of a mission? Might crash.
Check the UFOpedia? Might crash.

It seems to hate me doing all kinds of little random things. Many of which are necessary.
But it only crashes occasionally. It'll crash one time, I'll reload, do the EXACT SAME THING, and it will work just fine.

This game is one of the best I have ever played. It is also the most annoying.

Any tips?
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 03, 2010, 02:22:15 pm »

For me, it crashes when my first unit steps out of the transporter. Sometimes, like on 1 from 10 missions.

Incidentally, X-Com: TFTD has exactly the same problem.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 03, 2010, 02:24:34 pm »

That is my exact problem.
Stupid old games and their sheer addictiveness meaning that I can't quit even though it is rapidly eating away at whatever sanity DF has left me...

Too... Much... Fun...
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 67