Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90772 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #705 on: April 29, 2010, 11:17:39 pm »

Hehe, I love X-Com now... I want to play it so bad.

Its fairly cheap on steam iirc.

I found the game on pirate bay (before your warning buzzers go off, I've paid for the game three times over already) with x-comutil already setup. I'm not allowed to post a link to that am I?

Just in case that is not rhetorical/humor, links to pirated games are not allowed.  But google is sooo easy, so it is little harm.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 29, 2010, 11:31:24 pm »

According to my A+ Computer operating systems teacher computers slow down with age because windows is so poorly programmed.  Errors start adding up and begin to slow down the operating system's...operation.

The teacher claims that he re-installs windows on his computer every semester and it works fine.  Of course probably only about 5% of the people who use a computer have windows on it's own partition to make a windows re-install as trivial as he claims it is.

Back on topic, do you know if the mods you are using work with the steam version?  I've been thinking of playing it again for old times sake and I would like it if weapons are rebalanced reasonably.  Like a heavy plasma not weighing less than a rifle for example.  Also do they fix that reported difficulty bug?  The one where all difficulty settings == beginner?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 29, 2010, 11:46:40 pm »

According to my A+ Computer operating systems teacher computers slow down with age because windows is so poorly programmed.  Errors start adding up and begin to slow down the operating system's...operation.

The teacher claims that he re-installs windows on his computer every semester and it works fine.  Of course probably only about 5% of the people who use a computer have windows on it's own partition to make a windows re-install as trivial as he claims it is.

Back on topic, do you know if the mods you are using work with the steam version?  I've been thinking of playing it again for old times sake and I would like it if weapons are rebalanced reasonably.  Like a heavy plasma not weighing less than a rifle for example.  Also do they fix that reported difficulty bug?  The one where all difficulty settings == beginner?

yes i believe they fixed the difficulty bug, not sure about making heavy (lol) plasma lighter though. all the info about the game mod can be found here:

http://xcomutil.scotttjones.com/

don't ask me how to install it though, liek I said, it came pre-installed when I downloaded it.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 30, 2010, 01:05:53 am »

hey guys. I need some help. I need a good reason why we cant replace our fragile and finicky proximity grenades with claymores. Its going to be part of the next post. please send your ideas to me in a PM.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 30, 2010, 03:10:36 am »

Because, unlike most fantastic settings, melee weapons, even giant swords, are not mysteriously able to overcome futuristic technology...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 30, 2010, 03:12:56 am »

Because, unlike most fantastic settings, melee weapons, even giant swords, are not mysteriously able to overcome futuristic technology...

Claymores, not Claymores, my good sir :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 30, 2010, 08:02:51 am »

Claymores have to be buried (i think) and therefore take too much time to use in combat effectively.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 30, 2010, 08:04:10 am »

Claymores have to be buried (i think) and therefore take too much time to use in combat effectively.
Nah, you just gotta stick them in the ground. The problem is (I think) targeting. in the 1990s, they (IIRC) used tripwires and stuff instead of motion detectors to detonate one.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 30, 2010, 08:48:46 am »

Thank you all for you're input. I'm in a spot where I need to justify our use of proximity grenades over claymores (the mine :P) and I just couldent think of anything that stuck. At first I figured "well it uses fragmentation technology which like hollow tipped bullets, was ineffective against aliens." then I remembered that the hand grenades are fragmentation (despite looking like concussion grenades).

My second thought was that while fragmentation may not be as effective against the aliens, concussive explosions would be. But then I remembered the hand grenade was fragmentation and seems to work just fine. Maybe a combination of concussive and fragmentation would work then? But then claymores would be perfect for that as they have the same merits as a frag grenade.

I think I will go with "Takes too long to setup, requires to many parts, explodes when hit by enemy plasma or explosives and can't be thrown." iirc from the wiki, claymores can be fitted with acoustic or infrared sensors and thus be motion sensitive.

Now the main problem. Proximity mines appear to be non-functioning in my game. I will do some single player testing to see what is up with that. Perhaps the loading bug applies to alt-tabbing as well? If so then I just cant use them. I alt-tab constantly to make notes on whats going on, I don't have the memory to recall a whole mission with screen shots alone. If this is an isolated situation then I will consider buying back some proximity grenades.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 30, 2010, 12:16:13 pm »

If you'd like, just use the same excuse you used for traditional weapons not working, that the claymore's projectiles simply aren't powerful enough to hurt the aliens. If I understand it right, there isn't much concussion to go along with a claymore, it's almost all projectile.

As for the game mechanics. Which version of X-Com do you have? Is it the original dos version or the collector's edition designed to run on windows? The collector's edition had some serious problems with proximity grenades, although the problems as I understood them, were different than the ones you were having...

In the CE problem, the activated prox grenade flags were being carried over between missions. In most cases, it'd be attributed to a completely different item in the next mission. Sometimes that would have no effect at all, but if, say, it was attributed to a blaster bomb, or a high explosive laying on the ground of the skyranger... well, that could have serious problems.
The way to get around this, though, was in fact, to save and load your game between missions, this would clear all of the prox flags.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 30, 2010, 01:05:43 pm »

Claymores are directed.  They need to be set up in one place, and then they will only trigger and detonate in a certain direction.  The proximity grenades are omni-directional.  Just pull the pin and toss it, and you've suddenly blocked off an entire 360 degree area.

It's a pain for cleaning up, but it does make things easier in a chaotic environment.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 30, 2010, 01:54:17 pm »

Poxy grenades can be remotely disabled safely by the clean up crew before they enter the area.  Claymores cannot, making them too great a risk to the non combatants to use.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 30, 2010, 02:06:32 pm »

More important question:

When more of the LP? :(
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 30, 2010, 02:10:26 pm »

More important question:

The next update is in the works though I will probably be busy all weekend. I'll have to play it by ear but most of the work on the next post will be done Monday and Tuesday.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 30, 2010, 02:36:18 pm »

More important question:

The next update is in the works though I will probably be busy all weekend. I'll have to play it by ear but most of the work on the next post will be done Monday and Tuesday.

Yaaay :3
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 67