Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90781 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #690 on: April 29, 2010, 02:04:53 pm »

A prospect I've been interested in as of late is the concept of a "Warhammer 40k X-COM".  I started noticing the parallels some time ago, and I just keep finding more and more...

First, you got your grunts.  The guys equipped with coveralls and laser rifles because you can't be arsed to give them anything more expensive until they've proven themselves.  Does this sound at all like the "T-shirt and flashlight" of the Imperial Guard?  Heck, you can even make it a pistol for more shots and worse damage, if you like.

On their own, they're pretty much just fodder.  But the Imperial Guard has always been known for its array of heavy weapons platforms, which gives them the armored support they need to win the day.  Got a trickier problem on your hands?  Toss a psyker out into the mix!

The aliens are obviously various members of the T'au coalition.  A vast array of different races pulled together to serve under one purpose, all under the guiding hand of the Ethereals (bonus points: check the autopsy report for ethereals, where they take the cloak off.  Does that tall, skinny alien with peculiarly-shaped head and slightly blueish skin look at all familiar?)

This kind of alien scum can obviously only be dealt with by the great space marines, with their power armor and heavy plasma rifles, they wield the divine power of the emperor against the alien threat.  If you want them to have heavy bolters instead, just hook 'em up with an autocannon and explosive rounds (or AP, if you for some reason don't want massive amounts of collateral damage).

Should the enemy prove altogether too mobile and sneaky, send in a shock team of assault marines with flight suits, plasma pistols, grenades and stunsticks.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 29, 2010, 02:29:38 pm »

Hm I can't believe I just noticed this now.  I was addicted to x-com way back when.

According to your signature you need a pilot.  Mind if I take one?

Name is Bob.  Keeps a very impressive collection of swords locked up in his room.  And he keeps them all sharp clean and shiny obsessively.  He tries also tries to direct conversations into conversations about swords and knives.  He also has an extremely light, extremely sharp sword made out of some strange bluish metal.  He won't go into detail about where he got it.  And he always finds some way to bring one of his swords with him in his jet "just in case".  A ex-US Navy pilot.  Left the military due to conflicts with military policy and his collection.  His handle was Swordsman.   

He's not a ground soldier, but if you want him to defend the base or pilot a lightning or avenger or something, A pistol "standard issue" sidearm and a stun rod would do nicely.  Combat stats aren't important.

To: US Department of 'special' immigration affairs.

The admiral has ordered me to send a letter to this department if I have any pilots of exceptional quality, that for some reason, can no longer serve aboard this ship.  I don't know why you would need navy pilots to handle illegals.  But I have a good pilot here that needs a job.

The pilot is Bob 'Swordsman' Porter, he regularly has excelled in training and wargames and I personally feel him to be the best pilot in the Navy.  However he has repeatedly broken rules aboard ship with unregistered weapons and my commander has ordered me to have him discharged.  Hope you can use him.

Captain Torin Stark USS George Washington

I'll put you into my data file and add you into the game. will have to wait for your dood for base defense as I just hired a big batch. The swords are a nice touch ^.^

I'm just going to get rid of the proximity mines and stop relying on them.

Proxies are very useful for base defence, especially if you set up your base with choke points (aliens only invade through the access lift and the hangars).  They can also act as alarms ("BOOM!!  Alien this way!").  You just can't save-scum with them.

I also use them as siege weapons--throw one in front of the hatch of a downed ship to stop peek-a-boo sniping.  Works best if you know there are no psionic aliens.

The problem is that they are not working at all, savescum or no. So I'm liquidating them and relying on other tactics.

I always use "scout and snipe" tactics in my games. I also prefer the conventional AP gear on Superhuman mode. It is most fun. After playing UFO2000 (a x-com online remake btw), I have learned scout and snipe is a great tactic, fighting against smarter, human players. X-com has great graphics and is a great game overall, glad to see people still are enjoying it! :)

I am a big fan of this tactic as well, never really played against a human opponent though, just once against someone who didn't play X-Com.

A prospect I've been interested in as of late is the concept of a "Warhammer 40k X-COM".  I started noticing the parallels some time ago, and I just keep finding more and more...

First, you got your grunts.  The guys equipped with coveralls and laser rifles because you can't be arsed to give them anything more expensive until they've proven themselves.  Does this sound at all like the "T-shirt and flashlight" of the Imperial Guard?  Heck, you can even make it a pistol for more shots and worse damage, if you like.

On their own, they're pretty much just fodder.  But the Imperial Guard has always been known for its array of heavy weapons platforms, which gives them the armored support they need to win the day.  Got a trickier problem on your hands?  Toss a psyker out into the mix!

The aliens are obviously various members of the T'au coalition.  A vast array of different races pulled together to serve under one purpose, all under the guiding hand of the Ethereals (bonus points: check the autopsy report for ethereals, where they take the cloak off.  Does that tall, skinny alien with peculiarly-shaped head and slightly blueish skin look at all familiar?)

This kind of alien scum can obviously only be dealt with by the great space marines, with their power armor and heavy plasma rifles, they wield the divine power of the emperor against the alien threat.  If you want them to have heavy bolters instead, just hook 'em up with an autocannon and explosive rounds (or AP, if you for some reason don't want massive amounts of collateral damage).

Should the enemy prove altogether too mobile and sneaky, send in a shock team of assault marines with flight suits, plasma pistols, grenades and stunsticks.

those are interesting parallels. I would imagine the devs of X-Com did some of it on purpose, they have plenty of things like that in TFTD (deep ones for one)

I don't think they took all their ideas from Warhammer though, While unoriginal in of itself, the weapons and armors available are pretty standard for sci-fi games. Warhammer didn't invent power armor, flight armor, psionics, laser weapons or plasma weapons.

Maybe the reason both are so good is because they took these traditional things and made them really interesting.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 29, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »

X-Com came out in 1994, around the same time as WH40k's second edition. Tau weren't in the game back then, so I don't think the X-com developers would have gotten any inspiration from Warhammer on that front. Now the Warhammer folk on the other hand...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

NESonline

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 29, 2010, 02:40:29 pm »

I am a big fan of this tactic as well, never really played against a human opponent though, just once against someone who didn't play X-Com.
In UFO2000, it's actually quite effective against human players. If you powersuit your men, you can just steal their equipment, since you are limited on a Point basis where you can only bring in so much armored units / equipment. Another verteran player I know does this tactic, and he does it well. Hobbes, his user name, knows how to do many different tactics effectively.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 29, 2010, 03:06:16 pm »

Yeah man, GW is the one being influenced by stuff.  Not that it's a bad thing, it's really hard to find anything original.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:29:42 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 29, 2010, 03:08:26 pm »

WH40k is very strongly influenced by dune "1965" and starship troopers(book) "1959",  as a result parallels to WH40k appear in a lot of different works.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 29, 2010, 04:09:36 pm »

I wasn't trying to make a point about someone copying someone else, I was just showing how easy it is to set up X-COM so you can play it Warhammer 40k style.  I just think it's fun.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 29, 2010, 05:07:21 pm »

I wasn't trying to make a point about someone copying someone else, I was just showing how easy it is to set up X-COM so you can play it Warhammer 40k style.  I just think it's fun.

Yeah it is interesting that it can be played that way. the different alien races can be considered mercenary species like the kraut(sp?)
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #698 on: April 29, 2010, 09:56:35 pm »

Oh, you're gonna love this. I stopped by the ufo2000 forums, did a little surfing and came across something interesting. Essentially it's another multiplayer remake project, but it involves being able to use the Geoscape and such. I think we can have more proper mission sites that include UFO and skyranger now.

If it's as good as I think, we gotta start a Bay12 server on it. UFO200 is also an available option as well.

UFO: The Two Sides
newer site

EDIT:
Hmm... it seems the beta version is down.

EDIT EDIT:
Okay, it turns out I linked to the old site. Heh heh, let's try this again.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
It looks pretty kickass. I like how similar the alien interface is to X-COM's. We definitely need to LP or livestream a multiplayer game.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:08:41 pm by Itnetlolor »

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 29, 2010, 10:25:51 pm »

Oh, you're gonna love this. I stopped by the ufo2000 forums, did a little surfing and came across something interesting. Essentially it's another multiplayer remake project, but it involves being able to use the Geoscape and such. I think we can have more proper mission sites that include UFO and skyranger now.

If it's as good as I think, we gotta start a Bay12 server on it. UFO200 is also an available option as well.

UFO: The Two Sides
i believe this is a better link for the site

http://ufotts.ninex.info/

That looks really awesome actually, glitchy but awesome. Doesn't look like it will be in beta any time soon though.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 29, 2010, 10:38:40 pm »

Hehe, I love X-Com now... I want to play it so bad.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 29, 2010, 11:04:36 pm »

Hehe, I love X-Com now... I want to play it so bad.

Its fairly cheap on steam iirc.

I found the game on pirate bay (before your warning buzzers go off, I've paid for the game three times over already) with x-comutil already setup. I'm not allowed to post a link to that am I?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 29, 2010, 11:07:06 pm »

Nah, it's that this is a shared computer, and I cannae put any more games since I got DF.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 29, 2010, 11:10:56 pm »

Nah, it's that this is a shared computer, and I cannae put any more games since I got DF.

ah shared computers... I hated having to share computers. Glad I have my own now. Have a beastly desktop that used to destroy requirements but it seems to be slowing down with age. maybe something to do with my brother dropping it awhile back or that I rarely use it anymore.

Have a nearly as impressive laptop as well. Been using it for just about everything lately.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 29, 2010, 11:15:36 pm »

Darn you. :<
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 67