Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90800 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #675 on: April 28, 2010, 02:31:20 pm »

I don't know what happened with that both Tamunshin seems to get a free hit (I swear I'm not doing it on purpose) each mission. Also the proximity grenades seem to be glitched in my game. At first I thought it was the save/reload bug (had to do the mission in two separate sittings) but then I saved after throwing the proximity grenade into the command center and waited about 5 turns. I got fed up, had a soldier run up there and pick up the grenade without it exploding. I had not loaded so it is not that bug specifically.

Consider it anti-save scumming.  See the following: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Known_Bugs#The_trouble_with_Mines_in_General.

I am a bit disappointed that there has been no wholesale slaughter.  In some ways, UFO:  Enemy Unknown was a trailblazer for Dwarf Fortress in terms of killing off characters you've grown fond of.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 28, 2010, 02:34:04 pm »

I don't know what happened with that both Tamunshin seems to get a free hit (I swear I'm not doing it on purpose) each mission. Also the proximity grenades seem to be glitched in my game. At first I thought it was the save/reload bug (had to do the mission in two separate sittings) but then I saved after throwing the proximity grenade into the command center and waited about 5 turns. I got fed up, had a soldier run up there and pick up the grenade without it exploding. I had not loaded so it is not that bug specifically.

Consider it anti-save scumming.  See the following: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Known_Bugs#The_trouble_with_Mines_in_General.

I am a bit disappointed that there has been no wholesale slaughter.  In some ways, UFO:  Enemy Unknown was a trailblazer for Dwarf Fortress in terms of killing off characters you've grown fond of.

I agree that X-Com is a good early example of dwarf fortress like death. However I rarely if ever lost a dwarf in dwarf fortress either (unless it was something dumb I did like improperly channel a river...)
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 28, 2010, 05:41:08 pm »

Fun update. Can't wait for my guy to get in on the action, and inevitably end up with hundreds of clones to replace himself.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 28, 2010, 06:04:48 pm »

OK! I'm at the PC, and typing up a new post!

Spoiler'd for... I don't know, what do you people want from me? Logic?

Spoiler: Lucsly's Recruitment (click to show/hide)
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 28, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »

Great update. I remember the first time I ever tried to take on an alien base. I sent my guys in, and the two entry points were on the far side of the map from each other. So I sent them down and had them secure the exits... and then didn't know what to do next. My guys just sat there, waiting for them to come, until one of the rooms was hit by a blaster bomb or an alien grenade (not sure which) and took out 6 of my 10 troops, at which point I promptly fled.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 28, 2010, 07:38:32 pm »

Great update. I remember the first time I ever tried to take on an alien base. I sent my guys in, and the two entry points were on the far side of the map from each other. So I sent them down and had them secure the exits... and then didn't know what to do next. My guys just sat there, waiting for them to come, until one of the rooms was hit by a blaster bomb or an alien grenade (not sure which) and took out 6 of my 10 troops, at which point I promptly fled.
Just, OH GOD PSIONICS was how my first base attack went. Then it was OH GOD BLASTER BOMBS.

But I beat that mission with only 2 guys.  It was really impressive.  Goddamn commandos. (the sectoids killed all the others)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 28, 2010, 08:47:50 pm »

Hey, just posting to say how awesome this LP is. :D

Might be thinking of making a character/s. Will post if I think it's good enough.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 28, 2010, 10:07:43 pm »

Awesome post! That's a very good attack on a base you pulled off thar. My only attempt involved Shigeo Okabe and (another badass) Marcel Marcelle running down a hall (probably screaming) and clubbing six floaters into unconsciousness with their stun rods. I also had a stand off near the end with the final aliens simply waiting above the big lift. I solved it by sending in my high explosives expert, Wolfgang Brehme, in with high explosives taped to every part of his body. I had recently lost a person of the same last name (I assume a wife or sister) to a floater swarm, so it made sense to have him run in and 'pull the pins'.

The explosion was glorious.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 28, 2010, 10:18:36 pm »

Awesome post! That's a very good attack on a base you pulled off thar. My only attempt involved Shigeo Okabe and (another badass) Marcel Marcelle running down a hall (probably screaming) and clubbing six floaters into unconsciousness with their stun rods. I also had a stand off near the end with the final aliens simply waiting above the big lift. I solved it by sending in my high explosives expert, Wolfgang Brehme, in with high explosives taped to every part of his body. I had recently lost a person of the same last name (I assume a wife or sister) to a floater swarm, so it made sense to have him run in and 'pull the pins'.

The explosion was glorious.

I bet the explosion was glorious! high explosives for the win. Though the problem with multiple explosives is the way they work in X-Com. In X-Com when someone carrying live explosives is killed, they drop all their live explosives. the explode one at a time however and the initial explosion almost always destroys the rest of the explosives before they can contribute.

Good news guys, the rest of the soldiers arrived before anything bad could happen!
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 28, 2010, 11:04:58 pm »

Yay! :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 29, 2010, 08:15:14 am »

Congrats on another successful mission, Anya. And good luck on your interview/typing test.

I'll try to get Shu Bei's reaction to the mission up sometime today, been busy lately.

And yes, the prox grenades are very... finicky. Also, they only react to something entering the surround 8 tiles of where it landed. it doesn't react to something leaving those or something flying into the tiles from above or below. It also doesn't react to people/aliens simply standing/turning in place. You can be standing in the sensor circle and either leave the area towards the outside, or walk onto the square with the mine and it won't explode. I tend to find them great for watching narrow hallways in bases if I don't have a soldier to station there to watch it. Also great to place one tile away from a door so that it doesn't explode when the alien is behind the closed door, only when the alien walks through the open door.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:19:23 am by sluissa »

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 29, 2010, 09:36:26 am »

Congrats on another successful mission, Anya. And good luck on your interview/typing test.

I'll try to get Shu Bei's reaction to the mission up sometime today, been busy lately.

And yes, the prox grenades are very... finicky. Also, they only react to something entering the surround 8 tiles of where it landed. it doesn't react to something leaving those or something flying into the tiles from above or below. It also doesn't react to people/aliens simply standing/turning in place. You can be standing in the sensor circle and either leave the area towards the outside, or walk onto the square with the mine and it won't explode. I tend to find them great for watching narrow hallways in bases if I don't have a soldier to station there to watch it. Also great to place one tile away from a door so that it doesn't explode when the alien is behind the closed door, only when the alien walks through the open door.

yeah I read that on ufopedia. problem is though that I set the proximity mine in the last room of the mission and waited a bunch of turns (aliens were not moving >.<) so I saved to test and see if the proximity mine was even working (did not load before trying this) had a soldier walk right onto the mine and nothing happened.

I'm just going to get rid of the proximity mines and stop relying on them.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 29, 2010, 10:59:56 am »

Hm I can't believe I just noticed this now.  I was addicted to x-com way back when.

According to your signature you need a pilot.  Mind if I take one?

Name is Bob.  Keeps a very impressive collection of swords locked up in his room.  And he keeps them all sharp clean and shiny obsessively.  He tries also tries to direct conversations into conversations about swords and knives.  He also has an extremely light, extremely sharp sword made out of some strange bluish metal.  He won't go into detail about where he got it.  And he always finds some way to bring one of his swords with him in his jet "just in case".  A ex-US Navy pilot.  Left the military due to conflicts with military policy and his collection.  His handle was Swordsman.   

He's not a ground soldier, but if you want him to defend the base or pilot a lightning or avenger or something, A pistol "standard issue" sidearm and a stun rod would do nicely.  Combat stats aren't important.

To: US Department of 'special' immigration affairs.

The admiral has ordered me to send a letter to this department if I have any pilots of exceptional quality, that for some reason, can no longer serve aboard this ship.  I don't know why you would need navy pilots to handle illegals.  But I have a good pilot here that needs a job.

The pilot is Bob 'Swordsman' Porter, he regularly has excelled in training and wargames and I personally feel him to be the best pilot in the Navy.  However he has repeatedly broken rules aboard ship with unregistered weapons and my commander has ordered me to have him discharged.  Hope you can use him.

Captain Torin Stark USS George Washington
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:56:02 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 29, 2010, 01:17:33 pm »

I'm just going to get rid of the proximity mines and stop relying on them.

Proxies are very useful for base defence, especially if you set up your base with choke points (aliens only invade through the access lift and the hangars).  They can also act as alarms ("BOOM!!  Alien this way!").  You just can't save-scum with them.

I also use them as siege weapons--throw one in front of the hatch of a downed ship to stop peek-a-boo sniping.  Works best if you know there are no psionic aliens.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

NESonline

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 29, 2010, 01:38:49 pm »

I always use "scout and snipe" tactics in my games. I also prefer the conventional AP gear on Superhuman mode. It is most fun. After playing UFO2000 (a x-com online remake btw), I have learned scout and snipe is a great tactic, fighting against smarter, human players. X-com has great graphics and is a great game overall, glad to see people still are enjoying it! :)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 67