Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90996 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #405 on: March 27, 2010, 06:31:05 pm »

Did you get the dreaded 'Unexplained' bug that occurs at a random time if a random thing happens?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 27, 2010, 06:36:09 pm »

Did you get the dreaded 'Unexplained' bug that occurs at a random time if a random thing happens?

no perfectly normal stuff but...

those darned aliens gave me a good old scooby do chase scene, except it was us chasing them :P
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 27, 2010, 07:16:47 pm »

Those are easy when you use high explosives on all the buildings. A quarter dozen of them can clear enough room around the skyranger to make an open field.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 27, 2010, 07:28:44 pm »

Those are easy when you use high explosives on all the buildings. A quarter dozen of them can clear enough room around the skyranger to make an open field.

Somehow I think we won't be using that tactic any time soon. At least not on terror missions. Out in the desert or on some poor sap's farm, who knows?

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:53 pm »

to iterate: an areal(spelling?) scooby do chase
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 27, 2010, 09:45:46 pm »

A flying scooby-doo chase? Sounds crazy.

Do explosions form spheres when shot in the air? Because that's be a quick way to end one.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 27, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »

A flying scooby-doo chase? Sounds crazy.

Do explosions form spheres when shot in the air? Because that's be a quick way to end one.

explosions in x-com have a really weird effect. they cause "circles" of carnage. An explosion does not effect the z axis at all only the layer it detonated on. also you can take out every wall of a 2 story building and the 2nd floor will still be there floating in the air.

were talking early 90's though so it wasn't really expected of them (the developers)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2010, 10:14:58 pm »

Smoke does drift up though, I believe, at least from fires. But yeah, explosions are disc shaped across one z level.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 27, 2010, 10:18:38 pm »

Smoke does drift up though, I believe, at least from fires. But yeah, explosions are disc shaped across one z level.

I have never seen smoke move upwards, just outwards

also another weird explosion thing. every time any explosion goes off anything on fire takes a full round of burn damage. apparently its a weird connection to how initial incendiary damage works

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 27, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

Well, I suppose a good rocketeer can fire a shot onto a couple separate levels. Simply aim at a nearby wall and wait for burnination.  ::)

Semi-edit: That sounds abuseable. Light something on fire with an incendiary round and fire small rockets willy-nilly all over the place.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 27, 2010, 10:27:05 pm »

Well, I suppose a good rocketeer can fire a shot onto a couple separate levels. Simply aim at a nearby wall and wait for burnination.  ::)

Semi-edit: That sounds abuseable. Light something on fire with an incendiary round and fire small rockets willy-nilly all over the place.

its more of a warning not to use HE rounds or grenades while a friendly is on fire

i suppose it could be abused but most aliens when on fire panic and run in circles

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 27, 2010, 10:30:57 pm »

I thought it was just stun/incendiary explosions Regular explosions don't trigger it, I believe, but I could be wrong.

Also, it is very exploitable with the aliens. Try lighting a few on fire then having someone with an autocannon and incendiary ammo empty a clip. Doesn't even matter if they're in sight or not.

Edit: Aliens also don't seem to like to cross fire. I've been considering using it as a wall in some instances. Also thought about the real life uses for flame weapons, to clear out confined spaces. What if you fired an incendiary rocket into a room in a UFO where you suspected there were aliens. Not entirely sure what the results would be, but should be fun, in any case.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:34:06 pm by sluissa »

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2010, 10:55:30 pm »

I thought it was just stun/incendiary explosions Regular explosions don't trigger it, I believe, but I could be wrong.

Also, it is very exploitable with the aliens. Try lighting a few on fire then having someone with an autocannon and incendiary ammo empty a clip. Doesn't even matter if they're in sight or not.

Edit: Aliens also don't seem to like to cross fire. I've been considering using it as a wall in some instances. Also thought about the real life uses for flame weapons, to clear out confined spaces. What if you fired an incendiary rocket into a room in a UFO where you suspected there were aliens. Not entirely sure what the results would be, but should be fun, in any case.  ;D

i'm not 100% sure about the HE included in the bug or not. but typically incendiary explosions cause as much damage as HE does to objects, i believe, so using it inside a ufo would have more or less the same effect as a HE rocket. kill aliens and ruin any recoverables. If I'm wrong however, expect to see more incendiary rounds in the future.

they do have one bad caveat though. incendiary rounds don't give any experience or credit for kills at all. which isn't cool

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2010, 11:00:31 pm »

i'm not 100% sure about the HE included in the bug or not. but typically incendiary explosions cause as much damage as HE does to objects, i believe, so using it inside a ufo would have more or less the same effect as a HE rocket. kill aliens and ruin any recoverables. If I'm wrong however, expect to see more incendiary rounds in the future.

they do have one bad caveat though. incendiary rounds don't give any experience or credit for kills at all. which isn't cool

True about the credit for kills, a significant reason to avoid them. I'm going to go test the "destroy object" ability of incendiary right now. I'll let you know how it turns out if you'd like.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2010, 11:24:40 pm »

True about the credit for kills, a significant reason to avoid them. I'm going to go test the "destroy object" ability of incendiary right now. I'll let you know how it turns out if you'd like.

excellent.

also, would anyone be interested in seeing how I handle all my notes as a sort of side commentary?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 67