Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90876 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #300 on: March 17, 2010, 09:09:42 pm »

wait a minute... crap how long have i been misspelling hayreddin's name? crap >.<

lol well at least i'll be getting it right in this post...

*goes back to work because she has been lazy and hasn't really started typing till about half an hour ago*

it's all Decklin's fault x.x

hopefully I'll have it done by tonight. Mac is pretty bad ass in this one :3

edit - holy crap batman. 300 posts! this is the largest thread i have ever made on any forum. that is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:25:16 pm by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 17, 2010, 11:08:16 pm »

wait a minute... crap how long have i been misspelling hayreddin's name? crap >.<
It's not a common name, and you spelled it well enough for it to be pronounced the same, so I didn't mention it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 17, 2010, 11:41:20 pm »

It's not a common name, and you spelled it well enough for it to be pronounced the same, so I didn't mention it.

funny thing is, i kept spelling the last name wrong and was having to change it during the proofreading phase so i focused on spelling that correctly. must have completely forgotten about the first part.

anyways I hope to have the next post up within the hour.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2010, 12:31:18 am »

The ground team waits sullenly for the clean up crew to arrive. Captain Hayreddin Barbarossa lay motionless inside the skyranger while the rest of the ground team makes sure to keep the area secure. The clean up crew arrives and the mission is declared a success.

No one cheers however. As the clean up crew lifts off, Mario's heavy weapons platform is loaded into the Skyranger and deactivated. The flight home feels twice as long for the Skyranger's passengers.

I met the team in person upon their return. The more jaded and experienced soldiers continued with their less than chipper attitudes while the newer, more emotional recruits were a mix of anger and terror. Terror over which of them would be buried next.

Manny came up to me and took my attention from the returning soldiers. "Commander, I told you we were running out of storage space and now we can't even unload the Skyranger! Storage is packed with aircraft munitions and alien crap! When are you going to get rid of some of that nonsense!?" He barked at me.
"That "alien nonsense" is a mixture of the most devastating weapons mankind has ever seen. Weapons which tear through mankind's best armor like it was a wet paper bag. Selling this "alien nonsense" to our funders was a desperate move I hope to not have to repeat. Can you imagine what would happen if these things got into civilian hands? Or worse, back into the hands of our alien foes. No Manny, we stockpile until we research them, file them and once they are obsolete, then we can think about selling them off." I looked Manny in the eyes, I could see his blood boiling to the surface so I decided to bring up a fact that might cool him off. "Besides, the new storage extension is due to be completed tomorrow."

Manny raised his arms in protest but said nothing. He turned to head back to his office, mumbling and grumbling about being up to his ears in neon colored shit.

Aura Luna sent out an e-mail inviting everyone to Hayreddin Barbarossa's funeral the next day.

The next morning I received an e-mail from the head of construction telling me that the addition to the general stores was complete.

Manny, of course, had immediately sent me an e-mail afterward. He explained, essentially, that the expansion was just a band-aid on a much larger problem.

The funeral was held at noon. After the chaplain had preformed his service, I opted to say a few words.
"When I first met captain Hayreddin Barbarossa, I thought I had a lost cause on my hands. Captain Barbarossa was one of those people who liked to bring a knife to a gun fight, except that he wanted nothing to do with a knife at all. He was an accomplished martial artist and athlete who joined for the challenge. The first thing I did was shove a pistol and a stun rod in his hands and layed down the law. What a disservice I did him. What I had actually received that day was a soldier who had the courage to fight an enemy he knew nothing of, using weapons he never asked for." I paused for a moment and looked over all those who attended the funeral. "Captain Hayreddin Barbarossa was a sterling example of the human drive to excel. He took that pistol and that stun rod and he took to the enemy lines in a charge. He showed them that he didn't need super advanced weapons or enhanced vision. All captain Barbarossa needed was his courage. We should all follow his example while we work to drive out our other-worldly foes. If we had even ten more of his kind, our alien aggressors would be the ones running in the streets!"

I stood back and allowed everyone else their chance to speak. Afterward I gave everyone the day off. Many did not take me up on the offer. Did the base personnel feel especially motivated to work together and bring down our common enemy or was the death of our soldiers becoming more common place?

The next day I awoke from a strange dream. It had faded before I could recall a single detail. I checked my computer and saw that I ad recieved an e-mail from Dr. Richard Gableman. "Finally" I thought out loud. I opened the e-mail and read it with haste. He had been briefed on the purpose of X-Com and why we needed him. He agreed to work with us and was already setting up appointments with Tamunshin as well as each other ground soldier. I complimented him on his initiative and invited him and his family to dinner topside sometime in the future.

Later that day a ceremony was held to promote Darkwind and Ashley Smith. Darkwind received the rank of captain for her distinguished efficiency and motivation. Ashley Smith received her promotion to sergeant for quickly rising to, and surpassing, our expectations.

In the evening, Archangel came to my quarters and requested a short talk. I let him in with a smile. Archangel has always seemed to have a level head and his support of Tamunshin has been instrumental to preventing any additional problems. He requested to take on the additional responsibility of carrying a high explosive charge into his field missions. Despite his history with explosives, I decided that his good behavior merited a reward.
"OK Archangel. I will let Manny know that he is to stock your locker with a high explosive charge." I smiled and looked up at him from my desk chair. Archangel was a tall, strong man. Coupled with his intellect, he was an excellent example of what the human race had to offer.
"On one condition." I added. "I want you and Cerapa to host a presentation of our explosives and their activation systems. Each soldier on the ground should be able to use any explosive we make use of without endangering themselves or others. Will this be a problem?" I ask Archangel, being careful not to put a negative tone into my voice.
"Not at all commander." He replied with a smile. He left quickly, I can imagine he was already thinking on how to go about the presentation.

On February 7th the soldiers Aura Luna had sent for arrived. One of Aura Luna's tasks was to manage the amount of soldiers we had on base, replacing them as needed. The first was Tiberius Seius Cato.

He was a soldier from Greece who applied to our recruiters. He was motivated and met all our requirements with ease.

The second soldier was Gogandantess.

Gogandantess was a sturdy man from the Netherlands who was brought forward to us by his superiors. He was built strong and was very dependable. He excelled in most of his tests and passed every one of our requirements.

The base was fairly quiet. Everyone working hard and efficiently. Complaints and concerns about Zilvara's work habits even seemed to be dieing down. The next day I received an e-mail from the engineering department:

The laser pistols were fabricated and ready for use. Excellent news! I thought to myself. I forwarded the e-mail to each of the ground soldiers who were already equipped with pistols and told them to each pick one up from Manny and to give them a try at the firing range.

On Tuesday the 9th at 1pm a message was called out over the PA system. "All commanding officers to the command center." Before the announcement was over, I knew what was happening. I quickly arrived at the command center. The radar technician's assistant greeted me like clock work. "We have detected a ufo in the Arctic circle heading south west at 2700kt/s. It is categorized as small." She read the statistics from her clip board.

I opened up my command console and had a look at where the ufo was.

"OK Mac, get your Interceptor in the sky." I set the way point for Mac while I monitor the ufo's location. It continues to move south west, moving over the Kolyma mountains.
"We're losing it commander, it's moving out of our radar range and Mac isn't close enough to get it on his radar." Reported the radar technician.

I mentally traced the ufo's movements and pondered for a moment. "Mac, how would you like to go to Japan?" I asked quizzically.
"Maybe I could meet the makers of this jet fighter... Sounds good, but what about the ufo?" He replied.
"I'm thinking you might just run into it while your there." I explained. "I want you to patrol over Japan.

"Acknowledge commander." He called out through the radio. Over the next several minutes my operatives worked with the Japanese to negotiate our entrance into their airspace. The Japanese were more than accommodating, wanting to see their handiwork in action. A few minutes later Mac was patrolling the skis of the rising sun.

The room went quiet for awhile as Mac conversed with the local Japanese air control while patrolling. Suddenly the radar technician spoke up. "Commander, I don't believe it! We found the same ufo in Mac's radar coverage, it's heading towards him from China." He reported excitedly.

"Good. Mac, play time is over, take it down." I commanded.
"It's as good as dead commander." He replied and set his heading for the ufo. In but a few tense minutes he engaged the ufo.

He accelerated into firing range and let loose his twin auto-cannons, weaving around the ufo's return fire. Both Mac and the ufo took glancing hits before the ufo pulled away.
"Son of a bitch is running away!" Mac yelled angrily.
"Watch your fuel levels Mac, your running low." I cautioned, keeping an eye on his status.

"I'll land in Japan if that is what it takes to bring this asshole down!" He retorted and accelerated, staying on the ufo's tail.
"Scramble the second Interceptor. I want it to assist Mac in taking this ufo down." I commanded.

Mac chased the ufo across the eastern border of China and Mac began to catch up over the ocean. "Just give me 10 more minutes commander." He asked as he grit his teeth, pushing his jet fighter to it's limits.

Moments later the ufo decelerated and began to lower it's altitude. Mac saw his chance and re-engaged.

He closed in, dodging the ufo's weapons with expertise. He unloaded round after blazing round of cannon fire into the stubborn craft before it exploded brilliantly.

The ufo spun out of control and crossed the sky like lightening before smashing into the rough waters below.
"Ufo down commander, go ahead and send the other guy back to base, I'll see you in an hour." Mac reported with a grin.

By the time Mac reached our base his fuel began to red-line. How he managed to pull that off is a testament to his expert piloting skills.

I congratulated him on his return and offered to buy him a round while his Interceptor was being repaired and rearmed.

A few days went by before anything of note occurred. On the 11th Zilvara contacted me with excellent news. The laser rifle prototype had been created and the results were very successful. The plans had already been sent to the engineers.

"What should we focus on next commander?" She asked in her usual quizzical tone.

TO BE CONTINUED!
----------------

Finally got it done. Mac sure did an amazing job. went half way around the world, hung out for an hour and shot down a ufo with cannons then managed to make it all the way back on one tank of fuel!

looking forward to everyone's posts ^.^

now for the good bits: research

here is a list of researchable stuff:

couple notes:

a) wait... what? when the hell did we get a sectoid leader and why did no one tell me? well thats just awesome. I would like to take on research in a logical way and impose sensible tech tree additions that patch up little logical holes such as "how do we know the difference between aliens without being able to understand them? So I propose that we research mind probe before allowing ourselves to research live aliens.
b) How are we supposed to design armor to defend against plasma based weapons when we don't even know how plasma based weapons work (or even that they are called or can be described as "plasma based". So for the same reason as above I think it only makes sense that we research at least the plasma pistol before personal armor.

I'm in no hurry to reach the end of the game or getting the "good stuff" asap but I want to submit these two questions for player vote:

1) Self imposed "logical" tech tree which will help immensely, for me, to make the research fluff make sense: Yay or nay.
2) Which tech (or tech destination) next? I'm sure personal armor is going to be popular but dude! we have a sectoid leader in February! we could have psi capable soldiers by April! Screw mutons.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2010, 12:49:29 am »

Laser pistol please!

Getting psi now would be great for character options, you could start scouring the world for psi-sensitive folks willing to be experimented on.

Armour would do alot to keep people's favourite characters in one piece, and there seem to be plenty of requests for plasma weapons, but I think you should go for the leader as soon as you can justify. And on that note I think that you should sacrifice the soldier's lives to maintain a believable tech tree.

So, believable tech tree and leader or mind probe.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 18, 2010, 01:51:34 am »

That's how it's done, Mac.  Get in close, and gun 'em down.

As to what to research, a good Psi team is one of the best weapons in the game, and knowing psi strength is always useful.  So, researching that leader should be top priority, in terms of gameplay.  Anything that works towards that in terms of storyline is good too, especially since you have that psychiatrist on board.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2010, 04:11:54 am »

I'd really like personal armor as soon as possible, but I also support the 'Self imposed "logical" tech tree'.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2010, 06:12:44 am »

alien alloys to body armor gets my vote.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:57 am »

Go with the logical tech tree, though it makes sense to me to go ahead with the armor before the weapons research. We already know the alien alloys can take a beating, there's no reason we wouldn't incorporate it into armor.

And now I get to do my part. I'll have stuff up by sometime saturday, at the latest. End of week is super busy for me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:41:32 pm by rickvoid »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2010, 12:18:27 pm »

Logical tech tree is fine. And, yes, getting Psi as soon as possible is a must. Works great with the psychiatrist coming on board anyway. Just make sure Tam is one of the first people who gets psy training (we know her score is probably low, but it'll make the most sense story-wise).

Darkwind's journal:

As Captain, my duties have increased a good bit. One of my first tasks was to evaluate this new proto-type laser rifle the techs have come up with. After a bit of trial and error on the firing range, I've decided that it's an exemplary weapon! Accurate, hard-hitting, and holds enough charge that ammo isn't even a concern. A perfect sniper rifle and assault rifle in one!

I think I might have even cracked a smile as I was leaving the firing range. Hopefully no one saw that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zilvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2010, 12:28:40 pm »

Zilvara enters her room and looks around before turning to the computer "Computer, personal log entry." The computer springs to life "Awaiting input." It replied.

"Zilvara personal log entry: Every day our research progresses. Today we are at a break-through with the laser rifle that the commander asked for. The damage to the room I mentioned earlier has been cleared up nicely. The scientist that was responsible for the incident has been set to a new research project. For some weird reason he just smiled and left the room happy. Who would of thought that he would be content to figure out a lighting system for the common room, to incorporate a dance hall. He is a weird one."

"Hummm, today we had another set back; the loss of another soldier. One of the higher ranking soldiers. We really need to work on some personal body armour soon. Having to work with random soldiers could possibly affect results. I am sick of having faces around her changing all the time. How is one supposed to focus on research when there is all these new people wandering around; looking at the stuff in research and trying to see all the "new toys". The weapon technology of the aliens is amazing to behold, such interesting devices. The connectors for the firing mechenizms is completely different form our more conventional weapons. I'm sure once we get around to cracking the technology we will archive some interesting results on replicating it."

"Now as for the proposed list of projects for the commander to look into; I will need to put in a report for the body armour project. I'm sure we can develop it so that it will prevent such fatal damage to our people."

"Some of our more gung-ho research techs want to get there hands on the aliens we have in containment. They understandably want to figure out how it ticks. Others want to wait untill we get that psych doctor here so we can run our line of research off him; to get feel for our findings from the soldiers."

"We will need to talk with Manny about diffrent ways to store and place research equipment in an area where we can get better access to it; so as to not to disrupt his work. I wonder if he might let us make use of the new storage room, as a repository for the stuff we need to work with. This would lessen his worry of us entering his space when he needs to have access to equipment. Hummmm, this might work for him. I think he would like that the new place becoming a sort of storage place for the stuff that is not in use by the ground team. It would free up space around his office at the base supply depot. I'm sure he will go for it."

"I wonder how the ground team would react if I were to propose that new equipment take on a deep purple coloring design." Zilvara grins. "Probably not, but it would be nice. Deep purple is an excellent low light camoflauge and will give the night fighting soldiers a better chance to avoid visual detection."

"Next order of business will be to speak with the commander at some point about these complaints. Our research is going as fast as we can. We're dealing with technology that is new to this world and they expect us to find out how it works within days. They complain that where not doing it the right way. Some days I don’t get these people. I mean come-on! we're working as fast as we can with technology that is from another world of thought, literally. I hope they will come around and see that results are more important than their military standards allow for."

"Ah well. Computer, let’s end this log for now."

Computer log ended at request of user, log saved.

Zilvara heads out of the room towards the common room for some down-time. As she leaves an explosion can be heard, off in the distance, in the research complex. She sighs. “Not again...“
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:50:51 pm by Zilvara »

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2010, 04:40:58 pm »

Okay, it's story time!  ;D

Outbox (1 new message)

Outbox (1 new message)

That should be good for now. I have more, but I'll wait a bit. Perhaps some more this evening.  :)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2010, 06:53:24 pm »

I vote we research the leader first, then Mind probes, then what we need for the better heavy armor and then the rest of the psi stuff.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2010, 06:58:35 pm »

Small launcher/stun bomb.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2010, 09:06:01 pm »

Okay, it's story time!  ;D

and my responses:

To: Dr. Richard Gableman

Yes please do keep me up-to-date with Tamunshin's progress. I would like to have her ready to go on missions as soon as possible. However you are the professional, not me. Please let me know when she is ready.

Also, especially in the light of the recent Tamunshin situation, I would like you to go ahead and update the psych evaluations of the ground team and if you would, the different department heads as well. I understand that I also fall in this category. I'll let you decide if this is wise or not.

As for dinner. It will be a pleasure. The ground team has told me about this very nice Italian restaurant called Vinellies.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 67