Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90718 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #825 on: May 23, 2010, 01:53:33 pm »

My god, the new DF version sidetracked me from this!
But I'm back, and good to see that Mehmed is still alive and kicking. So how about them Heavy Lasers?!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 24, 2010, 02:25:15 pm »

sorry for the lack of updates, i have been very busy these past couple weeks. zilvara and i should have a post from the head of research within the week
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 27, 2010, 12:04:23 am »

I await this coming event eagerly.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 27, 2010, 12:05:03 am »

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Zilvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 28, 2010, 12:13:08 am »

Computer log - personal entry - Zilvara - Head of Research

"Testing, testing. Is this contraption on? Ah yes, good, let's see today we had an unexpected visitor. His name was doctor Ross McFarlen. It was quite funny when the doctor entered and almost began screaming fire! He ran for the booth I was in at the time, you would think he knew we were testing things in here. All I was doing was taking a walk through fire! We were testing one of the new armor's capabilities. The prototype I was wearing was a little bulky though and was not intended to be the final version. It is amazing how much we were able to integrate in to these suits, we included sensors to feed to a bio-read-out display so that we can monitor the vital signs of the soldiers more closely. We had to end our test early once Ross came in as most of the team stopped working to calm Dr. Ross down. By the time I came out of the testing room's outer doors and had removed the helmet Dr. Ross was sitting down at a table, surrounded by my research team."

"Thankfully Dr. Fin Knick had calmed him down some and was explaining a bit of what was happening in the testing room when I had finally made it over to them."

"I had a nice chat with Dr. Ross and explained that we were testing new armor we had developed and this was one of the final prototypes. I told him it would not be long before we worked on the condensed version. This one had extra precautions to it that the final version wouldn't have; namely we couldn't add the oxygen unit to the final suit without making it too bulky and hard to move in. Dr. Fin Knick was able to explain to the Dr. Ross that we are very concerned with the safety of our troops and had been working hard at developing this armor. Dr. Fin took the Dr. Ross to see the designs for the armor to show him what we had been doing. Beside the designs was pictures of the burns that troops had received so far. Dr. Ross asked about them. I explained to him that they were incentives to remind us down here what we were up against. I told him that we may not be on the front lines but our efforts down here directly affect their efforts up there. I told him that we were not just making newer and bigger weapons."

"Our goal is to protect and empower our soldiers. If that means giving them better weapons then so be it (not that we mind). but it also means giving them the protection they need to come back alive and protect the innocent. I asked Dr. Ross; If we didn't test these suits, how could we be sure that they were safe for the troops. The doctor looked at at me for a moment like I was nuts and I giggled at him and smiled."

"Now that we have a medical doctor here we can widen our scope of research. I already have some ideas for him to look over. But how to help Dr. Ross catch up to on all our findings? hmmm... I will have to have one of the researchers sit down with him and bring him up to speed. I'll get Dr. Fin Knick to do this, he has a good background in medicine."

"I played a practical joke on the commander when she came to view our prototype armor in person. We brought out one of the earlier designs, a heavy and bulky design that incorporated just about everything we could think of. It was air tight, fire proof, shock resistant, bullet proof, reflective, had it's own air supply and covered every square centimeter of the wearer. Unfortunately the suit was also upwards of about 300 pounds and not suitable for field work. Commander Anya looked about ready to flip as we went on and on about the suit's capabilities, it was hard to keep a straight face. As she was ready to leave the room, the scientist that had designed the final version walked into the room wearing his work. We proceeded to demonstrate the real personal armor for the poor commander."

"Commander Anya had us shift our focus onto the psionics line of research we had put on the back burner. With the promise of a celebration once the first suits rolled off the production line, we eagerly got to work."

"We have had another unexplained explosion in the lab this week. While I'll be the last to restrict researchers from working with volatile materials, They will need to either confess their accidents or keep a closer eye on their experiments."

*a series of explosions can be heard in the background*
"I told you not to mix those chemicals together Frank! We're not ready for the party till the armor is finished being made in the workshop! Not before, do you want to jinx it?!"

END LOG

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 28, 2010, 12:35:03 pm »

Transcription from the personal audionotes of Dr. Fin Knick, former X-Com researcher
Archival notes were a joint donation to the Royal Military College, Kingston, Ontario, and Queens University Centre for Policy Studies.

AUDIO LOG FOR APRIL 30th, 1999--DR. F. KNICK

"The date is . . . . April, um, 29th?  1999.  Monday, I think.  Hard to tell down here, I hate being under ground for so long.  Um. . . testing the the new armour is going fine. . . looks like, um <mumble> there is, um, it is totally fireproof.  Had some poor new guy, Dr. McFarley freak out.  Saw Dr. Zilvara personally testing it.  Um. . .  don't know why she does it herself, shoulda got a volunteer.  Anyway, um. . .so, <cough> so Dr. McFarley um, panics.  Had to grab him.  gave him a light sedative.  Um.  calmed him down a bit--same stuff we give the troops after a panic attack.  Er. . . better restock med kit.  Don't think Zilvara knows.  Told her I talked to him.  Didn't help when she came in to talk without taking off the armour.  Umm.  Don't know if she noticed but he kept staring at the scorch marks.  Ahh. .  <incomprehensible> was still smouldering.  Better talk to her about making sure her, um, the troops have short hair.  So, uh, yeah <sound of something falling over> Oh!  Oh bugger. . . damn! <sound of chair moving> Aww, crap! <sound of footsteps> <muffled> . . . gonna leave a mark . . <sound of footsteps> <sound of liquid being poured> <sound of footsteps> <sound of chair being moved> <sound of slurp> Ahhh.  Better clean that up before. .  . Anyway.  Need to talk to Zilvana.  Looked at the specs on the armour and the new armour alloy.  Same stuff as the alien ships are made of, right?  So we manipulate it with electromagnetic waves.  Great stuff, cheap and easy.  Only, can we damage it with a magnet?  Chuck fridge magnets at the armour like shuriken.  Okay. .  also. .  . magnetic forces are important to the aliens.  So, looking at the battle reports, the craft, the, um, ships are always landing the same way.  Um.  They point north.  Makes it easy, too, but why?  Something to do with the magnetic poles?  Why always facing north?  We need to think about this. . . um, yeah <mumble> I think we can find a weak spot.  Four cardinall directions, they're very strong.  Look at the ordinal directions.  Maybe get some alloy for testing and some plastique?  Gotta idea.  Could make assaults easier, um. . . <sound of knocking on door> Um.  Yeah.  So, maybe-<sound of persistent knocking> What?!  <muffled shouting> Alright!  Just a second!  Um. . . need to look at intact craft if possible.  Need to <muffled shouting> <loud pounding on door> Um--Audio log complete.  I'm coming!  Now shut the hel--!"

END AUDIO LOG FOR APRIL 30 1999
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:37:40 pm by Knick »
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 28, 2010, 03:04:48 pm »

Quibble's Log, Stardate 4.30.99

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 28, 2010, 04:21:33 pm »

Truly profound. Simply sublime. I am in awe of your observations and skillful analysis, sir.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 29, 2010, 11:37:18 am »

Truly profound. Simply sublime. I am in awe of your observations and skillful analysis, sir.
agreed. The truths in this post should be taught to every man, woman and child on earth. It must have been interesting to type out :P
the next story post has been played out and it's notes await my attention. I'll try to write them up this weekend but if not, expect a post on Monday-Tuesday.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 30, 2010, 10:34:46 pm »

Spoilered for length - STORY POST!

edit - well, when I posted this last night, Firefox had not detected any spelling errors. I was foolish to think I had not made any! Spelling corrected now

edit 2 - E-gads! the grammar, it hurts! I'm glad Barbarossa pointed out the tense changes, there were quite a lot of them. I also spotted and fixed quite a few incorrect words I had used. The post should be pretty good now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 12:34:19 pm by cganya »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP UPDATED! May 30th
« Reply #835 on: May 31, 2010, 12:05:47 am »

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
The promotions are out and I am a mook again...

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 31, 2010, 08:06:59 am »

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
The promotions are out and I am a mook again...

oh poor RAM 1. maybe someone of a higher rank will die? *evil cackle*

but seriously, I have been really enjoying the personal logs I have been seeing ^.^ thank you everyone.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 31, 2010, 08:28:41 am »

Quibble's log, Stardate 5.31.99

This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 31, 2010, 09:48:25 am »

Nice story post, but I noticed that you kept changing tenses.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 31, 2010, 10:25:32 am »

Nice story post, but I noticed that you kept changing tenses.

shoot. I wrote this post in two sittings so I can see that happening. I will go through the post and try to spot these mistakes when I have more time but in the meantime, either here or in PM, could you point out the ones you noticed?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 67