Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 90736 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #765 on: May 06, 2010, 08:01:56 pm »

xcom as the first? srry thinking about apocalypse, thats where i got my stats.

ah yes, I have never been able to get Apocalypse to ever work (bought it three damn times). So I wouldn't know anything about that game. To be honest, the only thing I have been able to play of x-com that wasn't received via torrents was the demo for UFO and TFTD. Those demos were awesome. I proceeded to buy both games repeatedly but by the time I had money to do so, they couldn't run on any machine I had access to.

Seems the people I downloaded it from actually knew how to get it working ^.^;
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 06, 2010, 10:05:47 pm »

Heh, apocalypse has its moments. I don't much care for ignoring the rest of the world, or the complete absence of vehicles in battlefields, or the limited nature of the equivalent of raiding the enemy bases. But I do like way you can demolish a building with a few well-places explosives, and the crazy flying people with lightsabers, and lets not forget the hilarity of a massive air-battle above a multi-storey road...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 07, 2010, 09:02:12 am »

I love the real-time combat in Apocalypse. Good fun, it is. Pretty tough trying to coordinate several teams across the map simultaneously, but still.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 07, 2010, 09:21:49 am »

I love apocalypse.  I hear all these folks saying it's best in real time mode, but I still like turn based.  It's a desperate feeling to see a brainsucker or a popper heading towards your best soldiers and hoping to god for reactions to kill it before somebody gets zombied/your squad becomes a smoking crater.

My only gripe is that they made the blocks too big.  When you arrive at a location you know EXACTLY how the map is laid out, because all the maps are maybe 2 or 3 huge blocks per structure type.  And if you arrive at the location before the aliens get to spread, that one block is the whole map. Kind of removing that "is there a dangerous open field behind that barn or another house that needs to be cleared" feeling.  While in apocalypse it's "Oh its just the same old run down apartment complex as the last 4 slum missions.  Sniper go up to the top floor and snipe from the same collapsed hole in the wall that is ALWAYS there"  After your first couple visits to the same kind of structure the game might as well skip on the shroud you already know the entire map layout.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:27:16 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 07, 2010, 01:48:04 pm »

as I type along I realize I have mixed two people up in my head. son-of-a-b^%&.

ok since it appears to be missing from my notes, who is the guy who had his blog about X-Com shut down?

edit - wait a bloody tick. I'm not going crazy. Lucsly was the one with the blog XD. I read my initial notes of his character and I just didn't see how he could be the guy with the blog :P I will have to amend my notes so I don't screw up over the same issue again.

I guess military people can have blogs and watch the news all the time too :P whoops.

edit 2 - oh man, some of you guys have been waiting for a character for almost 20 pages! I hope I do not disappoint x.x
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:13:18 pm by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 07, 2010, 04:56:10 pm »

Yeah. I was kind of treating him as a national guardsman/modern militia type. Civilian attitude, military training. GOOD military training.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 08, 2010, 10:10:16 pm »

me? if i was military trained i probably spent my whole life underground in some secret bunker and end up as a super agent.(i like psi control)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 08, 2010, 11:04:54 pm »

I also kind of figured he'd have been on very extended leave since LA, while they tried to figure out what to do with him. They wouldn't want someone with his knowledge to fraterenize with the regulars too much, but they don't want to pension him off and lose all control. I'm imagining him as being sort of... drafted into X-Com. During the down-time he developed something of a fixation over the... things that killed his wife.

EDIT: also, checking your sig, could Lucsly be the skyranger pilot?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:03:53 am by Urist McOverlord »
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 10, 2010, 12:44:41 am »

bump because this is awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 10, 2010, 12:47:04 am »

I also kind of figured he'd have been on very extended leave since LA, while they tried to figure out what to do with him. They wouldn't want someone with his knowledge to fraterenize with the regulars too much, but they don't want to pension him off and lose all control. I'm imagining him as being sort of... drafted into X-Com. During the down-time he developed something of a fixation over the... things that killed his wife.

EDIT: also, checking your sig, could Lucsly be the skyranger pilot?

thanks for the bump Acanthus, otherwise I might have missed this edit.

Sure thing, that works out well ^.^ Now I don't need any more pilots for now.

With the work week now here. I should have the next post up soonTM

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 10, 2010, 12:49:00 am »

ANYTIME, CGANYA.

*jumps into pool of magma*

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 11, 2010, 01:55:44 pm »

So impatient...
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 11, 2010, 09:17:36 pm »

Because I hate updates so much, I will suggest that I have had some success playing Xcom Apocalypse under dosbox, the opening movie is bad but otherwise it seems to work...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 11, 2010, 09:20:57 pm »

The steam version seems to work fine straight out of the box.  But don't worry, yer not missing much with the opening movie.  We get so see cars! yay!  And the Megapol building, Yay!  Then a UFO! Boo!  Then it shoots stuff! Hiss! Then a construction vheicle hits the camera.

Woo.  Did I mention it's all in CGI that makes Mechwarrior 4's Ingame graphics look like a graphical demi-god?

But nobody plays x-com for the CGI...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 11, 2010, 09:39:35 pm »

Yeah, we play it to demolish slums to the sound of screaming vagrants...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 67