Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67

Author Topic: Anya's x-com LP - UPDATED! Augest 17th  (Read 91024 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
Re: Anya's x-com LP
« Reply #450 on: March 29, 2010, 12:30:54 am »

I'll have to remember that retreat is an option, although quite costly...

also on a side note. I have been using DrCloud's artwork without notifying him/her. I'm not making money off of this or claiming the artwork to be mine but should I actually go and ask for permission to post cropped versions of his/her images?

I don't like to step on toes. and I wouldn't want to piss off such a talented artist.

and with that I bid you all adue. It's past my "bed time" I managed to get a good quater/chunk of my next post written.

it's been a blast guys, I'm really enjoying this.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:35:45 am by cganya »
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 29, 2010, 12:35:20 am »

It couldn't hurt to ask, but I've seen this art in numerous other places before without ever learning where it came from. This is the first I've heard of DrCloud.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 29, 2010, 01:44:23 am »

It is a superiority fighters specifically designed to fight opponents well beyond human capabilities, I don't think they made any compromises in its design nor gave it the ability to land in a paddock or even on a less than perfectly maintained stretch of road. Having said that, I could see them stripping out all the armaments and towing some sort of passenger pod(s). It would be an awful way to travel, but they could be dropped off with parachutes and the plane is probably larger than you think, so the weight would be potentially feasible so long as there were no HWP... You may want to keep the interceptor there until its fuel is low while it picks people up again though you should be able to get some secret police types to transport the recovered salvage back...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 29, 2010, 09:01:28 am »

It is a superiority fighters specifically designed to fight opponents well beyond human capabilities, I don't think they made any compromises in its design nor gave it the ability to land in a paddock or even on a less than perfectly maintained stretch of road. Having said that, I could see them stripping out all the armaments and towing some sort of passenger pod(s). It would be an awful way to travel, but they could be dropped off with parachutes and the plane is probably larger than you think, so the weight would be potentially feasible so long as there were no HWP... You may want to keep the interceptor there until its fuel is low while it picks people up again though you should be able to get some secret police types to transport the recovered salvage back...

that is some very good points. I think I like the hind idea where the Interceptor is designed as both an air superiority fighter and a low capacity transport. In the game I believe it looks much like a shorter Skyranger.

I already had the idea that the clean up crew came in a couple big black tractor trailers, one cargo trailer and one flatbed trailer. stuff that was too big for the cargo trailer would be wrapped in tarp and put on the flatbed trailer
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 29, 2010, 09:15:16 am »

You know, this got me to pick up another file of x-com.

You are very lucky to have gotten a sectoid leader before hitting ethereals.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 29, 2010, 09:38:19 am »

You know, this got me to pick up another file of x-com.

You are very lucky to have gotten a sectoid leader before hitting ethereals.

yes quite, however I have never gone this long without a navigator

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 29, 2010, 10:29:46 am »

Navigators tend to be a mid to late game thing for me unless I specifically seek one out(generally at the expense of a good number of troops) I do get lucky, occasionally, but it doesn't happen often.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 29, 2010, 10:39:11 am »

I generally hire a half dozen people to use in the first four or five missions, armed with stunrods and pistols. If you're lucky, you'll get a few of the major sectoids (such as navigator).

The upside to this strategy is that you have a roughly 50% chance of getting a navigator, but then again, X-COM throwing humans at aliens while they're almost unarmed doesn't make for a good story.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 29, 2010, 11:35:11 am »

I'll have to remember that retreat is an option, although quite costly...

This is a terror mission! Technically, you can get a null result just by landing and then taking off. You don't get any points, but neither do the aliens. You get credit for terror missions just by showing up. (Maybe you strafe the landing craft or something? I don't know)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 29, 2010, 11:42:58 am »

This is a terror mission! Technically, you can get a null result just by landing and then taking off. You don't get any points, but neither do the aliens. You get credit for terror missions just by showing up. (Maybe you strafe the landing craft or something? I don't know)

Actually, not true. You do lose points for all of the dead civilians, however, you don't lose as many points as if you had just ignored the site completely.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 29, 2010, 02:18:18 pm »

ignoring the site completely is a terrible idea. you lose around 700 points iirc. comparably, if you do a terror mission and lose everything thing, you stand to lose around 500-600 points

a good terror mission is one that ends with a positive score. even if all the civilians die

-edit: It appears I never linked you guys to DrCloud's deviant art page. DrCloud is the artist who drew all the neat pictures I have been using on the side (with the exception of the recoil reduction schematic I posted way back when, which I do not know the artist of.

here is the link: http://drcloud.deviantart.com/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:19:11 pm by cganya »

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 29, 2010, 05:19:06 pm »

I returned to my quarters and to my bed. So many problems to face. Tamunshin was supposed to come back and raise the team moral. now even the air team is feeling the sting of failure. I pictured the world in my mind and plotted the bases on it. We could now see vast swaths of the air space around the globe but our Interceptors didn't have the fuel capacity to reach all over the world. These new large ships that could move faster than we ever thought possible. These UFO's were huge and non-aerodynamic yet they could fly through the air at almost mach 9! I got up and had a look at the program's funds.

Not as bad as I had thought. I decided that we would need at least one Interceptor at each listening post. I got my lead construction contractor on the phone and asked him how much it would roughly cost. "$200,000 each to build. About $25,000 each a month to keep maintained." He replied as he looked over his blueprints that he had on file from when the main base was constructed.
"I want one at both listening posts. how long till it's ready?" I asked as I penned down the costs.
"They will each take 25 days to fully construct." He replied.
"25 days?! We don't have that kind of time!" I replied in shock. By the time they would be built, I'd be staring at a very empty meeting room. "Is there any way to build it faster?" I asked desperately.
"Lady, you try digging an area that large out of the ground and putting a retractable roof over it in under 6 months. You have my number because me and my crew are the very best, of the very best. I can have it done in 25 days and not a second sooner." He replied. He was sincere and prideful of his team. They were always in extremely high demand but the funding nations were paying them a king's bounty so that they would be on call at a moment's notice.
"Alright. Please get started asap or you might not have this contract by next month." I replied and closed my eyes, rubbing my forehead firmly. I sent the estimate to Auraluna to be entered into the base accounts.

Lets hope the aliens forget how to fly this month.

The next day I was roused from sweet merciful sleep at 2:30am. Apparently the aliens decided to get an early start this month. I quickly dressed and was fully awake by the time I met the radar tech's assistant at the door to the command center.
"A small UFO has been detected along the border of Canada's prairies and the US. It's traveling at 2400 kt/s and heading south." She read from her clipboard.

One thing I found so amazing about this girl is that she always seemed to have the same chipper attitude when making a report. I noted it for a moment before thanking her and entering the commander center. I took my position at my command console. Opening up the computer I centered my view on the UFO's location.

"OK guys, you know the drill. Lets get Mac up after the flying sauce pan!" I ordered and zoomed in on the area. Mac was already sitting in his Interceptor and waiting for the lift to take him up. The UFO, meanwhile, had maneuvered around the base and was now heading up the west coast of Canada. Mac took off in pursuit and chased it. The UFO would not relent and Mac followed it to Alaska, then across the ocean to Chukot where the UFO began moving south through Russia. Mac pushed his Interceptor to it's limits and followed the UFO south through China and into the ocean once again. Mac's flight director began to warn him, as he was following the UFO across the ocean towards India, that he was dangerously close to not having the fuel to make it back to base. Mac cursed at the UFO angrily but agreed and turned back.

"Not again... Scramble Interceptor 2!" I commanded. I waited patiently for an hour while the UFO made it's way back towards India and north into Russia where it decided to make a u-turn and head towards Africa. The Interceptor made it almost all the way to Africa from the east but was again called back because of lack of fuel. How I wished I had those hangers already.

I contemplated what to do as our enemy taunted me with it's archaic movements. All of a sudden the UFO landed, in Iran, 100 miles west of a city called As Sulaymānīyah.

"OK, I have an idea. Load up the Skyranger with a ground team. I want a breach team and an over-watch team. Lets send them in and try to catch it on the ground." I ordered. Minutes later RAM 1 and Darkwind had assembled their teams. Roll Fizzlebeef, Dash Gunmetal, Tiberius Seius Cato and Steve would follow RAM 1 as breach. Argatson, Gogandantess, Sarah Newman and Hugh Mann would follow Darkwind as over-watch.

Before the Skyranger could fully cross the Atlantic ocean, the UFO had taken off again.

Mac had some time to rest while his Interceptor had been refueled. I ordered him out of bed and back into the sky. Before Mac could make it all the way however the UFO landed again. This time in Uzbekistan.

The Skyranger was only a short distance away. "Got them!" I cheered as the Skyranger closed in. "And this time they don't have the dark to hide in." I grinned as the pilot touched down in an arid farm. The pilot managed to park his drop-ship between the UFO and a small farm house. The UFO was north west of the Skyranger while the farm house was directly to the south.

Myroc Started up his tank remotely while the Skyranger's ramp fell to the ground. The team had no comments to make, I silently wished that their mission would go off without a hitch. The team needed this victory and so did the X-Com program. Myroc rolled down the ramp. He checked his flanks quickly and continued. "Everything looks quiet out here... wait. Commander, do you see what I see?" Asked Myroc.

"That's definitely not a local... Take it down quickly team!" I ordered. The alien looked like a man with orange skin. It like the floating pink aliens wore a garment of some sort, this time instead of a cape it work armor on it's chest and shoulders.
"I'll take a crack at it." Called out Argatson as he carefully crept down the ramp with his auto cannon.

He took a snap shot at the creature in the wheat field. The explosive round tore through the shifting plants and fell short of it's mark. The explosion shook the ground and Argatson took cover on the ground.

Steve stepped out behind Argatson and took aim at the rising smoke cloud. As the smoke began to clear enough to see through it he spotted the alien. "It's got some sort of worm like body... maybe a snake?" He commented for a moment as he watched the alien try to brush the smoke out it's way. Steve took his chance and fired off a few rounds at the alien. Two of his laser blasts caught it across the chest and it fell to the ground in a bloody heap.

RAM 1 orders the team to assemble outside the Skyranger. "Get a smoke screen up, were out in the open!" He called out.
"Got it!" Replied Hugh Mann. Hugh Mann takes a smoke grenade off his belt and arms it.

Dropping it at his feet he can hear it's internals whir and click. As he waits for it to deploy, the rest of the team files out of the drop-ship. Only Darkwind stays at the top of the ramp to keep an eye out for ambushers from afar.

"Tiberius, I want you to clear out that farm house. We don't need another an alien aiming at our backs." RAM 1 ordered. Tiberius smiles at the thought of having the entire X-Com ground team in his own sights and agrees to take the farm house.

The smoke grenade deploys and in a matter of seconds the ground team is enveloped in thick, obscuring smoke.

Suddenly the UFO's door pops open! Another orange alien comes through the door and fires at Myroc's tank. The green fire bolt dissipates upon connecting with his thick armor. The alien see's it's dead ally and panics, retreating back into the UFO.

"Roll Fizzlebeef, I want you to assist Tiberius. Setup a flanking position." Commanded Darkwind. Tiberius' smile faded. He would have to wait for another chance to prove himself to his shady leader.

"Breach team! Take cover behind that hedge, I want you to get beside that UFO while over-watch secures the immediate area." Directed RAM 1.
"Over-watch, set up a perimeter and keep your eyes open! Anything that comes out of that door I want holes in!" Shouted Darkwind.

Another orange alien pops out of the UFO to take a shot at Myroc. The green projectile connects but deflects off harmlessly. "This is a lot better than being there in person." Laughs Myroc as he wiggles his tank treads, trying to keep the alien's attention away from the obscured ground team. His tactic works and the Alien raises it's weapon in anger rather than ducking back inside for safety.

"Time to shine. This is for Tamunshin..." Gogandantess says quietly as he lines up his auto cannon.

Gogandantess fires off a round straight at the alien, catching it on it's large, armored, shoulder pad. "Woo! Direct hit!" He called out in excitement. He was answered with a green blast flying through the smoke back towards him. The bolt flew over his head and shut him up quickly, The alien remained standing.

"Oh no you didn't!" He grumbles and fires off another deadly high explosive round. The round catches it in the chest. Once the smoke clears from the explosion, the alien lays motionless on the ground.

The UFO door pops open again and another alien comes out. Hugh Mann line's up a quick couple of shots and constructs an alien pile with his laser rifle.

Through the open door a flash of green is spotted. A glob of green fiery death slams into Myroc's tank. Myroc's screen fizzes out and he loses control of his tank. "Shit commander, My tank is out!" He exclaimed.
"Damn it! not again! Heads down ground team, tank is out!" I shouted over the radio as I brought up a screen displaying the tank's status. "Damn things are expensive and we don't have such a loose budget this month..."
"Commander hold on..." Myroc called out as his screen flickers on. The backup camera comes to life and his tank begins to respond to his controls. "It's a real mess commander but I can still move it. I'm getting out of the line of fire but maintaining my position between the UFO and the ground team." He commented as he coaxed his tank back to life.

Another orange skinned alien came through the door with it's alien weapon drawn and smoking. Hugh Mann sends it a well aimed laser beam but fails to take it down. Myroc's tank locks onto the alien and his console beeps wildly. "Do not fire Myroc! The blast might wreck your tank." I warned.
"I don't know wha-" A rocket flies out of Myroc's tank and smacks into the alien's head. The resulting explosion fills the area and sends shrapnel into the tank.
"I told you not to shoot Myroc!!" I exclaimed angrily.
"I didn't commander. It locked target on it's own and when I told it to break it's lock it fired." He explained wide eyed. "At least the tank survived the explosion." He explained as he attempted to change subject.
"Hmm... We can't have a malfunctioning tank on our hands. Disable your weapon and move it into the Skyranger and power down." I commanded.

Tiberius and Roll Fizzlebeef storm the farm house but find nothing of interest, except that no one was there. Ram 1 and the breach team stormed the UFO after a few minutes of inactivity, the inside was clear of any alien hostiles. The over-watch team finished sweeping the surrounding area without the aid of a heavy weapons platform and found nothing. The team called in the clean up crew.

"Except for a few close calls, this mission is a resounding success team! Give yourselves a pat on the back and head home."

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
--------------------
Stat Changes:

Hugh Mann:
Kills + 1
Stamina + 5
Health + 1
Firing Accuracy + 1
Strength + 3

Gogandantess:
Kills + 1
TU's + 1
Stamina + 2
Health + 4
Firing Accuracy + 1
Strength + 1

Steve's Clone 1:
Kills + 1
TU's + 1
Stamina + 1
Strength + 3

Argatson:
TU's + 3
Stamina + 1
Strength + 2

Darkwind:
Stamina + 1
Reactions + 1
Firing Accuracy + 1
Strength + 4
-------------------

Accolades:

Negative:
Nya nya you can't hurt m-blargh! - Myroc - shrugged off multiple hits before being owned by a single shot
Now available in 3D! - Argatson - provided an explosion so real it singed the alien's whiskers

Positive:
Finally! - Darkwind - Finally got an increase in accuracy
All you need is faith - Myroc - Survived an explosion at low health
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here you all go. A nice big story update. Up next is a behind the scenes story post where I get to show off let you in on the little things I do to keep the story organized and fairly accurate/cohesive.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:21:18 pm by cganya »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 29, 2010, 05:30:58 pm »

Reactions and Accuracy! Excellent!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 29, 2010, 06:15:14 pm »

Huzzah! I've a a feeling we need go stun one of those and take it captive. In the words of G.I. Joe...

Knowing is half the battle!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 29, 2010, 06:17:46 pm »

That's a good point. Kind of worrisome that you're got snakemen running around already. We've only just discovered floaters!

Oh, and about south Africa...might be worth stationing the Air Ranger over them for a bit to see what they're up to. We don't want any sneaky alien bases showing up without us knowing about it.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 67