Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravans go straight through supports  (Read 1728 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Caravans go straight through supports
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:59:23 pm »

I didn't see any threads about this so I just thought I'd pop it up.

Most of you probably know it anyway. So it's not really a "bug" its just weird is all. Pillars are passable by dwarves and thus passable by wagons.

Creating caveins over caravans has never been so easy! but it shouldn't be like that, right?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravans go straight through supports
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:20:37 pm »

Supports aren't pillars.  Pillars are one-tile walls.  Supports are.....less than that.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:05:34 pm »

huh.

from the look of the support.. "I" .. i'd say it's a pillar. and it sure works as one. (not to mention it's portrayed as a pillar in stonesense, but that's unofficial so it doesnt count) it'd make more sense if it acted like a statue once constructed don't you think? you can't walk through those.

or am i missing something vital?
I have an art blog now.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:15:48 pm »

Perhaps this kind of support?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:04:57 pm »

i would have no problem with this, were it not for the fact that the caravan is three times the width - and the supports are used in a different way. this design is impossible to construct in the middle of a room, it only works in corridors. and (if my memory serves me) it would be pointless to put supports in corridors in the 2d version, because it was the large rooms that risked caveins. for all intents and purposes i believe them to be support pillars. the fact that you can walk through them is because they're not very wide and the dwarf just slinks by.

but a caravan shouldn't be able to do it IMO.

edit: i get the feeling this thread would have been more appropriote on the suggestions board.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:06:31 pm by Aspgren »
I have an art blog now.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:17 pm »

Technically, the problem isn't that caravans can go through supports.

The problem is that wagons can go through supports.

Given that wagons are already stopped by a bunch of other things that don't stop normal units (such as boulders and stairs), it probably wouldn't be difficult to make supports also impassable to them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:31:56 am »

One thing is for sure. It isn't a bug! :D
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:57:58 am »

O rly?
Why?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 10:31:42 am »

O rly?
Why?

Just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean it wasn't intentional.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:16:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is unintentional. I mean, wagon's are stopped by an odd rock, and decide to bypass because one such rock happens to be in their way, but not a physical support, which holds itself up and doesn't need to be adjacent to a wall?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 12:31:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is unintentional. I mean, wagon's are stopped by an odd rock, and decide to bypass because one such rock happens to be in their way, but not a physical support, which holds itself up and doesn't need to be adjacent to a wall?

Wagons have always been stopped by rocks (in the 2D Version you had to build a road outside, then smooth the inside in order to have caravan access), but not supports.  If it is unintentional, it's been around a long time.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 11:01:53 pm »

because nobody wants to put ugly supports in their entrance hallway,
did not need them for a 3 wide hallways in the earlier versions and thought it might block the caravan,
and nobody uses them anymore on a path with a wagon anyway?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 05:40:10 pm »

Something is a bug when it behaves in a way other than what the developer intended. When a report seeks to indicate that gameplay should be changed for any reason other than this, it's called gameplay feedback and you need to make a suggestion instead of a bug report. "Clearly it's not a bug that wagons pass through supports, but I think it's dumb and you should change it so wagons CAN'T do that."
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 05:54:35 pm »

Wagons have always been stopped by rocks (in the 2D Version you had to build a road outside, then smooth the inside in order to have caravan access), but not supports.  If it is unintentional, it's been around a long time.

So have a lot of things.

The issue is that things are either passable or they're not, for the most part. A wagon can pass through furniture just like a dwarf can.

The issue is that this makes sense for single-tile creatures, but not multi-tile ones. A single-tile creatures can presumably walk through supports/cabinets/whatevers because they don't take up the entire tile. However, this doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense when you take up more than an entire tile. In this sense, wagons shouldn't be able to pass through things like furniture either, but that creates a lot problems and issues, especially since they have to park in a trade depot full of such things.

So it's not really a "bug", per se, just a quirk of how the engine currently handles things.

That doesn't really make any sense, though. The supports in DF aren't along the walls, they can exist in open space.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==