Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage traps are broken.  (Read 663 times)

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cage traps are broken.
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »

You shouldn't be able to capture a FIRE-BREATHING DRAGON in a little wooden cage. :P

You should only be able to capture creatures up to a certain size, at least with an average cage. And maybe they should try to escape from time to time. (Making a stronger, better-quality cage would make it harder to escape, obviously)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Cage traps are broken.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stij:
<STRONG>You shouldn't be able to capture a FIRE-BREATHING DRAGON in a little wooden cage. :P

You should only be able to capture creatures up to a certain size, at least with an average cage. And maybe they should try to escape from time to time. (Making a stronger, better-quality cage would make it harder to escape, obviously)</STRONG>

Yep true. I am pretty sure that Toady will add different sized cages later on.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

yay.   :D

Actually, traps of any sort are a bit overpowered right now. Most creatures will simply walk into a line of stonefall traps without a second thought, which makes a military all but unnecessary.

Once armies get added I bet things will change though. Those traps are useless if the invaders just smash down your wall.   :D

Also (this may be in already), giving some creatures (e.g. theives) the ability to evade traps would be cool.

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Stij ]

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stij:
<STRONG>yay.    :)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 10:57:00 pm »

I still say that traps are broken if they can selectively choose their targets (although that sounds like a great function for magical traps to provide).  Why did medieval fortresses only contain a few traps here or there, like open pits with spikes, literal trap doors leading to the dungeon, etc.?  Because if those traps were paving the fortress, the actual denizens wouldn't be able to perform their daily lives!

The general idea I've always suggested is that a given trap should affect anything so unlucky as to venture into its tile.  Your own dwarves would know where the traps are, so they would consider a trapped tile as completely blocked, as would any creature who was aware of a trap and smart enough to know that the trap would be detrimental to it.

The capability of detecting traps but not ignoring them would be a new creature tag, or possibly a function of Mechanic skill.  The existing capability of completely ignoring traps (as part of the raw templates) wouldn't need to be changed.

If you want to pave your entry with stonefall traps and prevent the traps from being fatal to would-be allies, you attach a lever of some sort to the traps to arm or disarm them at times of war versus times of peace.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

Remember the beginning of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"? I imagine life in the fortress as something like that ruin, after all... you have a stone fall trap, why can't it be a -rolling- stone fall trap? :P

Besides that, spears coming out of walls, arrow traps triggered by pressure plates.. a literal spiked pit fall. Now I feel like recreating it with a golden idol in the center of my fort...