Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven fortress spread.  (Read 2555 times)

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven fortress spread.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 07:21:05 am »

The water appears to dampen the fall.

I am amused at the double-entendra, which is most likely unintended.

Yes, I am also curious as to the damping ratio of air-to-water. This was an interesting experiment.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Torgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 09:05:59 am »

How about hook a ground-level floodgate to the same drop-lever? That way, the water drains while the dwarf is stunned, so there is less opportunity for him to drown, yet he'll hit the water before it really starts draining to any large extent. You might even get lucky and catch hostiles in the water being vented, perhaps forcing them back while the dwarf recovers.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 10:49:00 am »

How about hook a ground-level floodgate to the same drop-lever? That way, the water drains while the dwarf is stunned, so there is less opportunity for him to drown, yet he'll hit the water before it really starts draining to any large extent. You might even get lucky and catch hostiles in the water being vented, perhaps forcing them back while the dwarf recovers.

You just put me onto an inspiring idea.

FILL THE ENTIRE CHUTE WITH WATER.

If you hook up the outlet floodgate to the same lever that drops the dwarf, he should take no damage, be pushed out by the flow, spend a very minimal amount of time drowning, and be on his feet and ready to kick ass in moments. At least that's the idea. TEST IT FOR SCIENCE.

Because of the time it'd take to refill a sky-height chute so it's ready to fire again, you'd need a metric assload of these to get a decent-sized force into combat quickly, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:50:36 am by Rat Of Wisdom »
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 11:56:12 am »

Water dampening good. Drowning bad. So what if the dwarf could just walk out?

How about a chute that is not "filled" with water but rather a waterfall with a draining grate at the bottom.
If the dwarf "falls" through this water, he could just walk out at the bottom.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:59:35 am by Gazz »
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 01:44:06 pm »

Why does it need to be drained?

Build it like a candy cane with a hatch cover and it shouldn't flood. Most dwarves should be able to escape this.

..l  l..
..l  l..
..l  l..lH
..l  l_l/l..
..l___/l..

H = hatch. / = stairs
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 04:39:00 pm »

Water designs are interesting but I just tested the falling onto an animal from the sky paving, and it worked my recruit fell and hit the horse foal, got stunned and then was fine. So how do you make and post a video?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.
Pages: 1 [2]