Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My next megaproject: The Dwarven Baseball Park!  (Read 1962 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My next megaproject: The Dwarven Baseball Park!
« on: February 23, 2010, 12:37:26 pm »

I just had an excellent idea for a way to train/accidentally destroy military + kill elves! (and prevent outside sickness.)

It is a dwarven game of baseball!

The giant chamber will have a roof that can open and close (bridges.), and will be long enough not to scare a catapult man away if a certain elf decided to play. The outfielders (all military dwarves), can try to stop the elf from getting the ball, although I think that the elf catching a ball would kill him anyways. There will be seats, separated by glass, from the stadium. Outside around the stadium will be several kitchens so that the dwarves can eat at the restaurants.

Elves vs. Dwarves, baseball style!

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
Re: My next megaproject: The Dwarven Baseball Park!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:54:59 pm »

Brilliant, be sure to upload a video when it's complete.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »

I will...

It's still in the planning stages though, so it might be a while. Hey, would a ballista or catapult be better?

Catapult fits the theme, but the ballista looks awesome, and has the side effect of killing any dwarves in the way. Also, how big will this need to be, I can put restraints on the subject getting killed, right, and then they won't scare the operator I think.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:09:56 pm »

This is almost better than an arena full of magma.

If you put the weapon 15-20 tiles behind a channel, the operator should never get scared and run.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 12:37:17 pm »

Thanks! This will be so awesome..

How long can bridges be? And can they go further if I build supports for them?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 02:30:13 pm »

bridges can be up to 10x10, if you need bigger you can connect a non-raising bridge to the ends of another bridge, and than put a bridge in the end of that bridge... etc.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 02:49:41 am »

Bibanbiban Biban Ustos (Ballballs the Balls of Anger) has begun!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 03:12:08 am »

too awesome, i really need to see this :O
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 03:40:36 am »

Ah, no seeds to make bags for sand! Common elves! (never thought I'd say that...)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 04:09:44 am »

bridges can be up to 10x10, if you need bigger you can connect a non-raising bridge to the ends of another bridge, and than put a bridge in the end of that bridge... etc.

What? Bridges need something to anchor off, do they not?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:51:30 am »

that's why he said retractable bridge, they just need to be put next to something.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 10:56:05 am »

And the bridges need to retract in order, correct?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 12:33:28 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you mean

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 12:34:49 pm »

If you put a retractable bridge on another bridge, I read that if you don't retract the outer bridge first, it will deconstruct after the first bridge rises.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 03:17:04 pm »

Bridges that are supported only by another bridge will deconstruct when the supporting bridge retracts, even if the supported bridge is retracted at the time.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.
Pages: [1] 2