Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea on combining bolts/arrows  (Read 1036 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea on combining bolts/arrows
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:56:44 pm »

Have bolts and arrows use the same storage protocol as seeds do with bags, except with quivers.  X many arrows or bolts are put into a quiver (possibly sorting by material type, such as bronze/copper/etc), and then the quiver is stored in the appropriate ammunition stockpile.  Might be some issues regarding item quality and large stacks of bolts (100 dragon bone bolts vs. a standard 25/30 arrows per quiver) in regards to stacking bolts, but at the very least it would allow multiple individual -Copper Bolt-s to be put back into the same quiver after having been fired.

Just a thought...
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
Re: Idea on combining bolts/arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:37:16 am »

I think this is how items are currently packed into barrels.  The good news is that means it shouldn't be too bad to implement.  The bad news is that extra-large stacks of bolts may never be split up and used by dwarves and dwarves may still grab 1 bolt and go fire instead of sticking around to fill their quiver.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:26:16 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't really solve the problem with practicing, but I'd say it's more important to solve the problem with actual combat, and a quiver-based fix would do that.

I still think it would be a good idea to remove quality tags from ammo, like with blocks or coins, and then allow them to be restacked on-the-fly, so a bin would just have one huge stack, and a dwarf filling her quiver or going to the range would extract the max she could carry from that reservoir.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:01:55 pm »

Ammo quality does matter though.

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:18:45 pm »

Quality tags on ammo are a good thing, provided they do not create logistical problems.

I say, all "elf bone bolts" should stack.
This should apply to both quivers and generic storage.

When there is a stack of
34 x bolts of quality 17
and you drop
42 x bolts of quality 40
on top of it, they should automatically form 1 stack of

76 x bolts of quality 29

This would keep quality levels useful without creating logistical issues like 1 "masterpiece" bolt blocking a dwarf's quiver from refilling. The constant re-combining would also reduce the number of ammo stacks to keep track of. Cleanup is good and healthy.

I can't imagine anyone tracking every single bolt the dwarves fire but at the same time it might still be useful to keep different storage areas for "novice built bolts" and "master built bolts". The latter would be of generally higher quality and used to outfit your elite SWAT team.

Artifact arrows should probably be excempt from that rule. Those are for show, not for shooting at kobolds. =P
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia