Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clairvoyant dwarves?  (Read 849 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clairvoyant dwarves?
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:22:55 pm »

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but my dwarves predicted an artifact several seasons before its creation. They did so by engraving it on a wall I was using to train legendary engravers (I strip-mined a whole level to train miners and wanted to see what engravings would turn up) at the time, the only artifact I had was a maple Idol, but there was an engraving that said "Engraved on the wall is a superiorly designed image of a dwarf and a Felsite ring by Olin Kirarbomrek. The dwarf is raising the Felsite ring." That was in late autumn. It is now mid-summer ingame, and my brewer just took a fay mood and made Desorkeshan, "The Entrancing Flames", a Felsite ring.

Edit: I am using 40d17
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Clairvoyant dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:01:34 am »

They weren't predicting the artifact your brewer made - they were portraying one of your Stone Crafters making a Masterwork felsite ring. Turn on SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE and you'll be able to see which dwarf is in the picture.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:17:55 am »

I did not know it was possible to read the engravings in Fortress mode. How does one do that? I always thought you had to be in Adventurer mode.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:49:07 am »

hit k (look) and when the cursor is over the tile you want to see highlight "detailed floor/wall" and hit enter. I am not sure, but I don't think it shows the same description as in adventure mode, only a simpler version.

Edit:Also, thanks Quietus for clearing that up. My craftsdwarf wasn't very skilled yet and he was working mostly in mudstone, and I wasn't sure if they engraved masterpiece items. I guess that's probably what happened, but I'm going to keep pretending that engraver can see the future. I think I'm gonna build him a temple for my next mega project. He shall henceforth be known as Urist McOracle, or somesuch.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:07:20 am by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.