Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fleeing animals  (Read 621 times)

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fleeing animals
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:39 pm »

In hopes of making a sort of survival game, I've been trying to mod zombies into the game. Yet despite all my attempts they refuse to attack dwarfs. They rush in, then stand nearby, moving away if anyone moves near them. I've looked through all the tags on the wiki, and can't find why they're doing this. Any ideas?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fleeing animals
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:29:54 pm »

Might not be related, but your zombies don't have a SIZE tag. I had thought that that was one of the essential tags that every spawning creature needed. I do remember reading somewhere that predators only normally attack creatures smaller than them, so you might try that.

Actually, most wild animals are normally passive except for intelligent ones and big ones. The only exception to those rules I can think of where the critter is also aggressive is the fire imp. I thought that the correct tag for making creatures aggressive was LIKES_FIGHTING, but it looks like you have that. Just make sure that it actually is LIKES_FIGHTING and not liKES_FIGHTING, which is what the forum makes it into for some reason.

Other than those, I have no suggestions  :-\
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 07:12:00 pm »

I think the behavior is hard-coded to some extent. I've put in a large amount of playtime with modded-in wildlife that is extremely large. Even when they have [LARGE_PREDATOR], [liKES_FIGHTING], and [NOFEAR[, they will still sometimes walk away from dwarves instead of always attacking. It almost seems like an individual creature will "decide" at different points whether or not to exhibit aggressive behavior. I've had an individual creature spend a couple seasons ignoring or avoiding dwarves, but then later suddenly start actively hunting dwarves when they come nearby.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:23:53 am by Raphite1 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:14:36 am »

You should just make the zombies an enemy, non-intelligent, non-speaking entity that has the lowest progress trigger settings and sieges you from the very beginning. Then copy that entity ten or so more times, and you are basically guaranteed one or two sieges of zombies per season.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:38:11 pm »

Ok, thanks all. I added [SIZE:7] and now some of them attack, but not nearly enough. Since there doesn't seem to be a way to make them stop fleeing without making these zombies uber-big, I'll have to go with darkflagrances idea, which might work better anyone (in a swarm the other civs so it makes a better dystopia kind of way).
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Ari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:26:41 pm »

Having completely looked over this idea, I made another thread about trying to get zombies into the game in a certain way. Just sayin you might want to take a look at that thread once it gets some replies. I want zombies in my DF too!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:05:30 pm »

Add in [SIZE:7], [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM], [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] and [NATURAL] if you add [BENIGN] it makes them just like elves little pansie flowers that run. If no Size is assigned to a creature it is set as size 1 (vermin) if the creature has [LARGE_ROAMING] and no size assigned it defualts to size 2. These are some tiny zombies lol but then again..... they appear everywere... even the ocean.... MY GOD MANLIKE CARP!!!!!