Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cloth walls, doors, and beds?  (Read 884 times)

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
Cloth walls, doors, and beds?
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:40:52 pm »

Hi, I'm new to the whole modding scene, only doing some aesthetic changes here and there.  For one of my fortresses, I was thinking about making a big circus tent.  My question is, is it possible to mod cloth in order to use it as a construction material, or even as a bed (sleeping bag)?  That would make tents and other such things possible, and give cloth a bigger role in game.  Will it require a smelter reaction to create a "cloth block"?

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth walls, doors, and beds?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:06:25 pm »

The Bed would be something like

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BED_CLOTH]
[NAME:make cloth bedding]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:CLOTH:GRASS_TAIL_PIG]

In order to make it a construction material you would use BLOCKS or STONE in place of BED.

Caution my Syntax has been known to be off.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »

You can indeed make cloth beds with no problems. Doors and walls I'm not so sure about, however. I was trying to make leather doors and walls at one point, and while it worked fine, the leather's name didn't show up on the blocks or doors while they weren't built, so in the stocks menu and build designation menu they would show up as " door" or " block." Once built, however, they worked fine, and did inherit the leather's value modifier and weight.

I would guess that it would be the same for cloth. You'd have to make the cloth "blocks" and "doors" in a smelter, and do note that they would lose all dye and quality modifiers in the process. You can still sew images to unusual cloth furniture, though I don't know about blocks; in this fashion, you can get quality modifiers based on your clothier's skill.

The reaction should be something like this for blocks:

[REACTION:CLOTH_BLOCKS_PIG_TAIL]
[NAME:make pig tail block]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:GRASS_PIG_TAIL:GRASS_PIG_TAIL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCK:NO_SUBTYPE:CLOTH:GRASS_PIG_TAIL]

Or something similar. Not sure how well it'll work, so try it out and do some testing and figure out how to manage. I've heard of people making cloth beds before, so this should all be doable.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 02:11:25 pm »

Don't forget when testing that you need to generate a new world any time you add a new reaction. Editing an existing reaction, however, won't require a new generation.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 02:12:19 pm »

[PRODUCT:100:1:BLOCK:NO_SUBTYPE:CLOTH:GRASS_PIG_TAIL]

It needs to be BLOCKS with an S, that one has gotten me messed up a few times (sitting there staring at it for half an hour wondering why the reaction generates and error in the errorlog).