Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Harder To Please  (Read 1734 times)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
Re: Harder To Please
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
[QB]I'd like to see a more realistic way of handling emotional events. I mean, that really has to be one legendary dining room (so legendary that religions are formed around it at the Feast Of The Exquisite North Wall is a Dwarven public holiday) for a Dwarf to be happy about seeing his loved ones murdered by Elephants. I mean, a Dwarf may feel content at admiring items and handiwork, or fulfilled, but they should still feel bad about the death.
QB]

This is what it all boils down to. Dwarves just don't care enough about the death of their lovers/spouses/friends/children. The bad thought is like a pebble dropped into a sea of complete and utter bliss. Eating in a good dining room (and it is way to easy to get dining room qualities to "Legendary" in my opinion) seems to fix everything. The death of a loved should completely overwhelm all other good thoughts at first (unless the dwarf is used to such things, i.e. "Doesn't care about anything anymore")

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

But come on... that dining room with the masterful silver thrones, masterful gold tables, awesome engravings of dwarves and dwarves, the dwarves are meeting with the dwarves, and that lava-fall... Who wouldn't be in utter bliss? That masterful kitten roast with minced puppy was pretty good too...

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »

the whole emotional system does need an overhaul.. thats all there is to it :P
its fickle, unrealistic, and downright goofy at times..

it doesnt need to be harder to please, or harder to anger..or even easier to anger.. it just needs a middle ground and a more realistic event effect.

there also needs to be 'recoverable' moods.. if they go nuts.. locked up, cared for, they should recover eventually. emotions should degrade over time.. extreme happiness, and extreme sadness.. not just forgetting past events.

The New Moo!

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »

Are you suggesting a counciler skill in which a dwarf specializes in helping dwarves get past traumatic experiences and that if there is no councilers the dwarf will stay moody for a long time until he doesn't care about anything anymore?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »

Look! It's easily mesmerized by motion man!
They are too easily amused right now. Is there ecstasy in the Plump Helmets or something? Might explain why they can walk right off into chasms.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »

The numbers should probably be tweaked some, so you have larger ranges, as dwarves usually fall into one of the two extremes.
Something more like:
+150 or more: ecstatic
+100 to +149: gleeful
+50 to +99: happy
-0 to +49: quite content
-50 to -1: fine
-100 to -51: unhappy
-150 to -101: very unhappy
-151 or less: miserable
Compare to the current version here.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 11:26:00 pm »

Actually, according to Dwarf Companion and a few random dwarves from my fort (all of whom are no less than Quite Content, damned babies getting accosted by flies >   :( ) somewhere from x to 120(124?)ish is quite content, 125 - 149 is happy, and 150 - 920 is ecstatic.

so apparently either it changed and the wiki is wrong or Dwarf Companion is changing the numbers.

edit: testing:
Dwarf Companion Happiness:

code:

0       Miserable
1-25    Very Unhappy
26-50   Unhappy
51-74   Fine
75-124  Quite Content
125-149 Happy
150+    Ecstatic

edit2: It's impossible to test further because Dwarf Companion truncates any negative number to zero.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Surma ]

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Surma ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

Oh god...

From the wiki:

"was forced to eat a treasured pet to survive lately   -1000"

I MUST FORCE MY DWARVES TO CONSUME THE FLESH OF PETS!

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 04:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>Oh god...

From the wiki:

"was forced to eat a treasured pet to survive lately   -1000"

I MUST FORCE MY DWARVES TO CONSUME THE FLESH OF PETS!</STRONG>

How do you do that if pets can neither be eaten alive or butchered?

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 05:16:00 am »

Vermin are an exception to that, dwarves will eat THEM alive.

Imagine, eating your pet turtle...

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2]