Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Emergency duty  (Read 563 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Emergency duty
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:55:54 am »

Basically, the ability to designate a 'emergency duty' status to a civilian dwarf. While on emergency duty, the dwarf's domestic labors such as brewing, farming, etc will all be disabled, leaving him with labors such as lever pulling, rescue of wounded, siege operating, and so on. Said dwarf will also ignore enemies further than 2 tiles away, allowing him to carry out his important tasks without being interrupted, such as operating a ballista or retrieving wounded in the middle of a battle.

Dwarves on emergency duty can also be assigned a station, which they will go to while idle, allowing them to be close to the site of crisis. The options for which labors are disabled during emergency duty may also be adjusted, so that when, say, a HFS pit needs to be sealed, masonry will not be disabled while the dwarf is on duty.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

snus-mumrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency duty
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:28:05 pm »

It looks like you could draft a dwarf and then allow or forbid military labors:
- fighting
- sparring/training
- justice
- lever pulling
- siege operating
- cleaning traps (?)
- rescuing
- /more/

Sounds good

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:13:55 pm »

Dunno, sounds like that could be better implemented via a custom profession system.  "Emergency duty" could just be a custom profession that does what you mentioned.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:22:25 pm »

I think emergency duties should automatically be assigned to everyone who has nothing else to do, and they do something considered an emergency instead of spare time. This might include hunting, or cooking in the case of lack of food, weaponsmithing and armorsmithing when a seige is coming and the soldiers don't have weapons, and brewing (of course).
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:14:07 am »

I think emergency duties should automatically be assigned to everyone who has nothing else to do, and they do something considered an emergency instead of spare time. This might include hunting, or cooking in the case of lack of food, weaponsmithing and armorsmithing when a seige is coming and the soldiers don't have weapons, and brewing (of course).

If this is dine without the player triggering it: baaaaaaad. I can already see the line of untrained hunters rushing out to wrestle the elephants for their delicious meat ^^

If a player can assign emergency status to a job if certan criteria are met thou, I like it. Such criteria could be:
-total food stockpile < number of dwarves = any labour that directly produces food can set to emergency. This would not include cooking because dwarves can eat food raw if they have to, it doenst have to taste good, it has to exist.
-hostiles on map > number of military dwarves*X = military duty can be set to emergency and the soliders will not pause to eat/sleep till they are acutally hungry/fatigued. This does not include wild animals and so on, just real hostiles. Maybe only ambushes, siges and megabeasts count.

Alternatively, instead of setting triggers, you could deter the use emergencies with some sort of downside. A good deterrent could be if any dwarf who was on emergency duty will be on break for at least twice the time afterwards. This way anything could be an emergency, but you cant use the emergency setting to make your dwarves work more all the time.