Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mike Maday Tileset on a Mac  (Read 3676 times)

joebobthe13th

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mike Maday Tileset on a Mac
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:12:45 am »

So, I decied to take up dwarf fortress again after about a year. Problem is, I no longer have access to a Windows computer, meaning that I have to make due on a Mac. I want to get the Mike Maday tileset, which shouldn't be very difficult considering that he has a tutorial on how to do it. (http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/DFGtutorial.php) Unfortunately, after I follow his steps and launch DF, I just get a black screen. Anyone successfully ran this titleset on a Mac? (I got the normal Mac DF to run just fine.)

Phssthpok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Maday Tileset on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »

I just installed 40d18 for Mac and it works fine with Mayday. Can you pinpoint one specific step of the installation that causes it to go blackscreen?

joebobthe13th

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:05:41 pm »

On step 3, Replace DF/data/art with DFG/data/art, DF goes black screen.

joebobthe13th

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:11:36 pm »

Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but when trying to open Mike Maday fullscreen it comes up with the error "Error Creating OpenGL Window." Normal DF full screen works just fine.

Campabl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:54:43 pm »

The exact same thing is happening to me, my Mac book is fairly new and this is bugging me. I'm only posting this so we can hopefully get some input and help from other Mac users that only look at "active" forms

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:47:01 am »

I know your prolem, even though I gave up on it for Aesomatica_16x16. Everything in the DFG file is a PNG image, you need to take into a PC and convert it to a BMP image file using Paint (In Windows). THAT'S your problem! I'm gonna e-mail him a link to this topic now. When you take tilesets off the DF wiki, they're already BMP.

EDIT: This must be done with ALL the image files. Don't forget to check the raws. Oh, and change all the names from BMP to PNG. Otherwise you'll still have problems.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't have my mac in front of me, so I got it wrong. I accidentally switched things around. Mac uses BMP, not PNG.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:04:13 pm by Darkond2100 »
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Campabl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:20:53 am »

Hey you should give me a link to this Aesomatica_16x16. Is it better then Mayday?

Campabl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:24:03 pm »

I know your prolem, even though I gave up on it for Aesomatica_16x16. Everything in the DFG file is a BMP image, you need to take into a PC and convert it to a PNG image file using Paint (In Windows). THAT'S your problem! I'm gonna e-mail him a link to this topic now.

EDIT: This must be done with ALL the image files. Don't forget to check the raws. Oh, and change all the names from BMP to PNG. Otherwise you'll still have problems.

I tried this.. the weird thing was that everything was already converted to PNG so i don't think this is right... I've tried everything and nothing works

joebobthe13th

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:59:42 pm »

Ok, I have it figured out. I think that the reason it's not working is that May Green is using 40d16, and the official client is just 40d. I used the older, non d16 May Green and then just dragged and dropped Dwarf Fortress.app from the Mac official version into the May Green folder and launched. Worked like a charm. If you want, you could try downloading d16 for Mac and putting the app into the most recent May Green file.

Old May Green file: http://www.mediafire.com/?zwjbqzfgdad

Dwarf Fortress 40d16: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40349

If you need more detailed instructions, just ask.

Campabl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:42:50 pm »

okay the first link downloads Dwarf_Fortress.rar? umm my mac doesn't know what to do with that

joebobthe13th

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 01:00:09 am »

Campabl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 02:01:05 am »

oh wow thanks man! it works.. well almost i can't get it to run full screen but i got the window as big as my screen so it all works out, I still have to run the terminal program too but not a big deal

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 12:03:27 pm »

I still don't know what to write in the tutorial. After all, the files in the DFG download already are PNGs.
Is anyone besides Darkond having problems when using the 40d+update and latest DFG?
BTW, I've updated to 40d18.
<3

joebobthe13th

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 03:18:17 pm »

Yes, the only way I can get DFG to work is to the outdated version that I posted above. I tried the 40d18 DF to 40d18 DFG on Mac and I couldn't get it to work. Any idea what the version is in that link? Knowing that might help diagnose the problem.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 04:07:24 pm »

I know your prolem, even though I gave up on it for Aesomatica_16x16. Everything in the DFG file is a PNG image, you need to take into a PC and convert it to a BMP image file using Paint (In Windows). THAT'S your problem! I'm gonna e-mail him a link to this topic now. When you take tilesets off the DF wiki, they're already BMP.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't have my mac in front of me, so I got it wrong. I accidentally switched things around. Mac uses BMP, not PNG.

I fixed the post. Sorry 'bout that
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...
Pages: [1] 2