Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Setting maximum quality of work  (Read 1517 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting maximum quality of work
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

It'd be really nice to be able to set the maximum allowed quality of work performed, as well as minimum where applicable.

There are times when you just want chairs, not masterwork thrones. Chairs. And clothes that you wear, not put on pedestals and go ooh-aah at. When all your craftsdwarves are legendary, it's hard to get decent furniture together that wont' bankrupt the poor dwarf that will rent the room it's in.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting maximum quality of work
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

"There are times when you just want chairs, not masterwork thrones"

There is?

Anyhow you can... Shift+P while having the workshop selected

You can set the maximum to "Dabbling"

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

Or even less than legendary..

However, if someone's legendary the economy has no effect on them, they pay no rent ever. So just work up some legendary pump operators‼  :p

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>You can set the maximum to "Dabbling"</STRONG>

That only changes the maximum allowed skill of workers, which isn't great when you want your legendary to pump out some low-quality stuff FAST, or just plain don't want to assign the task to anyone else.

Mostly though, I think tweaking the economy is a better fix.  Like if rooms were priced relative to the average worth of a room, or dwarves were paid relative to the fortress wealth.  It would be nice if your fortress was wealthy enough that poor people had to settle for SILVER statues instead of PLATINUM ones...

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

Relative room values are planned. Dunno about relative goods values, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »

Would a dwarf truly consider doing a bad job ON PURPOSE?
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »

"Would a dwarf truly consider doing a bad job ON PURPOSE?"

I am kinda with him... You would think the greatest insult to a culture based around crafts, to the point where seeing a well made door could give them a euphoric effect, would treat even asking to try less a great insult.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 02:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>"Would a dwarf truly consider doing a bad job ON PURPOSE?"

I am kinda with him... You would think the greatest insult to a culture based around crafts, to the point where seeing a well made door could give them a euphoric effect, would treat even asking to try less a great insult.</STRONG>

Maybe I like insulting dwarves? They need to be shown who's the boss around the place. My fortress, my rules, and if the stunted little things don't like it, they get to know what the Hammerdwarf is for.  :)

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 03:02:00 am »

I think that if this was put in, it should cause unhappy thoughts for the dwarves who are forced to work on things below their skill -- "He is unhappy at having to do work unworthy of his talents", say.

...hmm, maybe that unhappy thought should apply whenever a legendary dwarf does a lot of work unrelated to the skill they're legendary at, and doesn't do any of their legendary stuff.  I mean, a legendary engraver is going to get pissed if he's forced to do nothing but menial hauling...

Of course, it shouldn't be a very strong thought, since it could become absurdly annoying.  It shouldn't be enough to make a dwarf snap on its own.  But it would make sense for it to be there.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

I think that the idea behind this kind of makes sense; it'd be useful to have your legendary smiths pump out armor or weapons fast at the cost of quality. I think during wartime, and if we ever have forts on the scale of hundreds with the need to rapidly supply a hundred new recruits, then it'd be useful.

The problem is, as the game is coded now, it doesn't take any longer for a legendary smith to produce a masterpiece item or just a finely crafted one; speed is set entirely by skill. Therefore, coding this feature would require rewriting crafting code in the first place, so it might not be worth it when we still want our army arc, and so on.

火族

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

The other problem with the "equip everyone quickly" concept is that smiths are dependent on smelters to get them their inputs; there's no point in making things quickly and shoddily if you're going to be waiting around for the next bar to show up anyway (and if you'd built up a large stockpile of bars, why didn't you use your smith's time to make good-quality items from that stockpile in preparation?). And it's not like there's much room for poor-quality metal bars; allowing more impurities in can only get you so far before the metal is unsuitable for any use.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

quote:
I think that if this was put in, it should cause unhappy thoughts for the dwarves who are forced to work on things below their skill -- "He is unhappy at having to do work unworthy of his talents", say.

And a Legendary Dwarf should NEVER work below their skill. (In the same way that Champions can never be kicked out of the army).

Or at least without throwing a Tantrum instantly

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

Well if that feature was in effect it would make this suggestion completely pointless.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

No, one level less than legendary still pumps out items very fast.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

I think it is more indicative that the Dwarven Economy needs tweeks...
Pages: [1] 2