Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lookin' fer an -Edit- Found! Dwarven Rapture is under construction!  (Read 2089 times)

TheStanman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is a Dwarf not entitled to the images of his artifact, on his artifact?

No, says the player; it should be of demons.

No, says the baron, it should be of bismuth bronze.

No, says the carp, it should- OM NOM NOM NOM

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something dwarfy. I chose the elfish nightmare. I chose... DWARFTURE!

So yeah, I'm being caught up in the whole "Must build underwater city" thing seeing as Bioshock 2 has me all a flutter. The only problem being, I can't find a suitable site.

I can settle for two things:

1. An oceanside embark, but it needs to be a very deep ocean, and if I'm not mistaken, the max they go is about 4-5 Z levels? Not to mention I need Magma and Sand as well.

2. A vast valley of some kind, very deep, and enclosed by land with a brook or river on the highest Z level. Magma and Sand also needed. I will construct the city in the valley, then flood it to create my dream.

Any help? Maps? Ideas?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:30:46 pm by TheStanman »

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lookin' fer an oddly specific map.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:20:09 am »

I'd definitely go for the flooding option if I were you, because I've tried draining a lake into a giant cistern with atom smashers at the bottom, and draining the ocean into an aquifer, and really any of those require so much setup construction and kill your framerate so bad while it drains that it's not worth the trouble.

If you find a nice valley but don't have a water source already at a high Z level, remember that you can pump water up with a pump stack.  It might actually be easier to do this with an aquifer source because you could dig a hole anywhere and build an enclosure around the source.  River tiles stop producing when they have 7/7 water in them so to pump water that covers everything, including the river, you'll need to build some kind of enclosure around the river source (using drawbridges near the map edge) to keep water from backflowing into it.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:43 am »

It might be dwarfier to make the city on a flat plain, then construct a massive clear glass dome surrounding it, then fill up the dome with water and seal it.  Bonus points if you can get all the large fish out of the river and into the dome.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

TheStanman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:44:58 am »

It might be dwarfier to make the city on a flat plain, then construct a massive clear glass dome surrounding it, then fill up the dome with water and seal it.  Bonus points if you can get all the large fish out of the river and into the dome.

... I like this. Alot.

But I still need a location. I've been searching all day and come up with nothing.

So it'd have to be completely flat, and with water, magma, and sand.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 01:12:50 am »

That's actually pretty easy to find, if you're used to it. I had a map like that a while ago, 3X3, with bugged undead-feature-creatures-in-a-non-evil-biome to boot. I deleted the world, though. Just a few tips:

-Abandon the site-finder, if you haven't already.
-Shift-direction around 'till you find an area with igneous extrusive (dark grey) rock.
-Find a brook running through it. Follow the brook (or whatever water source) along until it's suitably close to a pipe or pool.
-Use tab to check if it's flat (all 0's in your embark area and more 0's for a 1-tile border around it guarantees flat) and you'll be set.

Of course, you have to make sure there's sand and trees etc, so you might need to keep looking for a while. In any case, there's almost certainly at least three sites matching that description in any given Large world, and probably two in any medium. Oh, also, with flat sites, it's easier to get a smaller embark in, though often it's perfectly poissible to find a whole 16X16 world tile completely flat.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:02:01 pm »

I'd say even more bonus points are up for grabs if you can manage to get an evil biome so that your dome could be filled with skeletal and zombie carp.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:09:40 pm »

I strongly, strongly suggest that if you ever get Dwarfture up and running, you intentionally rig a tantrum spiral.

A bunch of insane psychotics running around killing each other and breaking everything in an underwater city.

Sounds like Bioshock.

Bonus points for intentionally flooding small parts of the fort during the tantrum spiral.

Another bonus point for naming the mayor "Andrew Ryan."

Too bad you can't mod in plasmids.

Yet.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:22:26 pm »

Hmmm... It's not ideal, but you could probably use the place I'm using...

It has an underground river 7 floors above the ground level of the (mirthful) shrubland around it, magma vent, sand, plenty of flux and ore, and HFS. 

You will, however, need to put a "lid" over a bottomless pit, and much of the land is mountain.  It also requires making a somewhat wide embark to get the magma vent and underground river in the embark zone, which will likely make your framerate even more heavily taxed.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:29:20 pm »

"No demons or barons. Only dwarf."

Pymamin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:32 pm »

I don't know if this is cheating or not, but I had the same idea and I'm using a map that is mostly lake (goes down pretty deep, but it's easy enough to just cave out floor underneath the ocean if you need more), has a lava pipe and pool. The lake freezes for about 3 months out of the year, and I'm using that to carve out the lake and replacing it with tubes of clear glass blocks. It also has the added bonus of Elf caravans arriving in early spring in the middle of the frozen lake and falling into the water and drowning when it melts.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 11:57:36 pm »

You should build the lighthouse thingy from Bioshock 1, and figure out a way for the Bathysphere...
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

TheStanman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 12:31:55 am »

The map has been found.

It is a large, deep valley, complete with a comfortable plateau to construct the entrance lighthouse. Sand graces the very same plateau, and is where I shall settle while I begin building. Unfortunately, the brook is on a very low Z level, and I'll need to artificially block off a chunk of the map to prevent water from escaping, but I believe it will be epic once done, and as an added bonus, the water is salt. The embark also has a magma pipe and chasm.

Had I expanded it south, I would have gotten a HFS and Bottomless pit as well, but the hit on my FPS would have been too much.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 09:42:44 am »

You should share that. Just saying.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:33:01 am »

You could use the map that I made my underwater fortress on.

Seed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Look for places where brooks intersect with major rivers, there's usually huge valleys and waterfalls there.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

TheStanman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:30:08 pm »

You could use the map that I made my underwater fortress on.

Seed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Look for places where brooks intersect with major rivers, there's usually huge valleys and waterfalls there.

Very, very impressive. How did you go about making the farming areas? The only plan I have so far for them is to wash the bedrock underneath each foundation.

And the map is one posted on this very board called Vanilla Dream. It can be found right here:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37294.0

The location she marked is very awesome indeed, but by extending it north two embark squares you gain access to a huge valley, ripe for flooding.

Right now I'm settling in and have the glass facilities up and running. I just need to create a lot more bags and get a big migrant wave.
Pages: [1] 2