Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 105970 times)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #330 on: March 01, 2010, 12:55:17 am »

Zack; it should be fixed in the -HEAD version.

Download the Linux version like you did, and then download and extract the -HEAD tarball: http://brage.info/~svein/df-40d18-head.tar.bz2 over it.

Then it should work.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 01, 2010, 08:55:43 am »

It seems to be working for me, though the background colors get left behind:
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
As a side note, the colors mentioned in the DIY DFG are no longer in init.txt but in colors.txt.
FYI, bombcar, 5/7 of the posts on this page are from you... (before my post)

I'm getting the same weird background thing in OS 10.5. It works fine with a png I made a couple versions ago. It seems to be a transparency thing- my PNG uses magic pink for transparent, and the DFG one has an actual transparent thing.

If I open mayday.png and tell the GIMP to "remove alpha channel" then it works fine.
There's no actual pink in the DFG PNG. It's correctly got a transparent background but DF isn't interpreting it right.

also, dfgpngdfgpngdfgpng
I tried removing the alpha channel with Preview.app and Paintbrush.app and both made it worse if anything.

I've updated my download to incorporate a Dwarf Fortress.app folder and a pretty icon from here which uses art from Mike! The circle is complete.

If you want to, Baughn, you can use the details here to build the Mac OS X version; or I can write a "build" script for you that will package it up this way.

In theory, with a bit of work from Toady, the whole thing could be stuck in the Dwarf Fortress.app bundle, but that's probably not worth it.

Here's an example of weirdness from the movie:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is supposed to happen with Mayday's DFG. The default tileset has a light-grey background on nearly every tile, so each tile has a "background" color that is a darker version of the foreground color. This is why the intro is turned off by default, as the tile it uses the most is supposed to be entirely background color, while in DFG, it's not.

Edit: Changing the first tile to entirely transparent fixes the intro.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:15:50 am by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 01, 2010, 12:50:32 pm »

Check your fonts. You must use a fixed width font, or it won't look good at all.

You may be able to adjust the inter-character spacing to make it look better.

seems it's more than just the width. .  the characters for ramps don't look right. 

"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 01, 2010, 01:08:42 pm »

Those weird A letters are a dead giveaway; that's how the UTF-8 sequence start byte looks if interpreted as ISO-8859-1.

Whenever you see that, it means that you're dealing with UTF-8 and your terminal (/email-client/browser/whatever) isn't handling it as such. Set the terminal to utf-8.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2010, 01:27:39 pm »

that worked perfectly, thanks Baughn. 

http://thegreyblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/configuring-putty-to-use-utf-8.html   < -- for anyone else running into this issue. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

mrpoopyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2010, 04:43:41 pm »

I noticed what may be a minor glitch in the linux text/ncurses mode. Whenever a submenu has the same shortcut key as the menu above it, pressing the key once will select twice. For example {b}uild -> {w}orkshop jumps straight to Farmer's {w}orkshop as soon as I hit b->w. The real tricky one is whenever I press 'a' to add task at the Mason's, it queues an armor stand. I also can't pull levers because it jumps to the link screen.

Are any of you other text mode folks experiencing this?

I'm using 40d18-linux, with the HEAD tarball unpacked on top.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:37 pm »

Turns out there was a nasty bug in d18 that would drastically slow things down - especially in 2D, but overall, really -  made even worse by a nastily inefficient windows STL implementation on that point. Yea, verily, it cut toady's framerates from 100 to 18. Whoops.  ???

The good news is, I've fixed it; the fix is in d18-head now. Sorry, windows users, but apparently quirks make partial mode faster despite the bug, if you can use it. Try PARTIAL:20 or something like that if you can't.

The better news is, d18-head now also has shader-mode included. It's still incomplete (meaning, no graphical tileset support), but go ahead and test it. I've had reports of crashes (toady again, ATI again :-/), so it definitely needs testing; apparently the shader is incompatible with ATI. It should print a handy error log.

The not quite so good news is, ARB_sync apparently crashes on some drivers, like say toady's. I've left it in for now, so make sure yours are up to date if things don't work, but I'll make it optional soonishly.

Also, this d18-head includes a new init.txt; you'll need to set PRINT_MODE:SHADER to turn that on.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:32:53 pm by Baughn »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 01, 2010, 05:31:50 pm »

I noticed what may be a minor glitch in the linux text/ncurses mode. Whenever a submenu has the same shortcut key as the menu above it, pressing the key once will select twice. For example {b}uild -> {w}orkshop jumps straight to Farmer's {w}orkshop as soon as I hit b->w. The real tricky one is whenever I press 'a' to add task at the Mason's, it queues an armor stand. I also can't pull levers because it jumps to the link screen.

Are any of you other text mode folks experiencing this?
Yes, actually. Let's see.

EDIT: Fix'd in head.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:40:01 pm by Baughn »

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:03 pm »

with latest head, I can't seem to use the keypad's + and - keys.  before loading the game I tapped these keys in my ssh session and saw them echo appropriately, but they don't work in game.  Do I need to rebind them?

as an aside, rebinding within the game doesn't seem to work..  I can't select anything. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:48:19 pm by illiterate »

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2010, 09:30:40 pm »

Yesterday I lowered 'Hardware acceleration' in Screen Properties in Windows to lower setting, because buggy ATI drivers cause problems in Wings3D program if Hardware acceleration is set to highest.

I forgot that I have changed it and today I run DF... it was literally crawling... at 2 FPS (!) ... everywhere, in initial movie, in the main screen and ingame. It was so horrible. Took me some time to figure out what is wrong.

I don't consider this a bug in DF, I shouldn't have run it with that settings in the first place, just posting for your information and in case someone has the same problem and doesn't know why.
Btw I was using STANDARD mode with default settings.
Also damn ATI and its buggy drivers... >:(
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:34:16 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 02, 2010, 01:34:59 am »

Turns out there was a nasty bug in d18 that would drastically slow things down - especially in 2D, but overall, really -  made even worse by a nastily inefficient windows STL implementation on that point. Yea, verily, it cut toady's framerates from 100 to 18. Whoops.  ???

The good news is, I've fixed it; the fix is in d18-head now. Sorry, windows users, but apparently quirks make partial mode faster despite the bug, if you can use it. Try PARTIAL:20 or something like that if you can't.

This may be what I was experiencing - or it may have been addressed earlier in the thread (apologies if it was) - but I have d18 running right now and it works fine in windowed mode.  As soon as I maximize the window, however, it slows to a ridiculous crawl (with 7 dwarves, it goes from ~150 FPS to 3).

Windows 7, Radeon 4870 with newest drivers.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 02, 2010, 03:56:23 am »

That's probably it, yeah. It's fixed now, so you can either try the linux version, wait for d19, or just revert to d17.

illiterate: Keybinding isn't implemented in text mode yet, I'll fix that today. Should be a snap. Beyond that, there are severe limitations on what input can be accepted through a terminal, and keypad +/- isn't readable. Or rather, they register as normal +/-.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 02, 2010, 08:19:16 am »

Could it just be for once that I'm not the only one with an issue?
The newest head is causing me some grief, I'm unable to startup at this time with standard and shader(Not that i expected that to work.), I've found it to work with 2DASYNC though(Haven't attempted the others).
Error:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2010, 09:27:18 am »

Baughn, thanks.  I'll try rebinding the keys once that's fixed..

As for the keypad +-, i don't think they're the same, as the regular ones do what I need them to.  I think they're registering as something else..

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2010, 09:42:44 am »

Dabi: The immediate concern is the "libGL error: open DRM failed" error. This means you don't have direct hardware acceleration; you should fix that immediately, as it means opengl is much slower than it could be. It's a DRM permissions problem; ask about it in your distro's IRC channel, it should be easy to fix.

It still shouldn't crash, though. That's probably ARB_sync; if you grab the newest -head, I now have an option in init.txt for that. (It defaults to off, so you don't need to toggle it.)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25