Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 105972 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #315 on: February 28, 2010, 05:50:46 pm »

So for clarification, I'm creating my PNG graphics under Windows XP on a PC. I assume there are some compatibility problems between a Mac and a Windows PC regarding the PNG format?
<3

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 28, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »

I doubt that's the problem, but it's possible.

If you run the PNG through something like a Linux PNG program or Preview.app does it change? I'll try experimenting with it.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 28, 2010, 06:16:04 pm »

It seems to be working for me, though the background colors get left behind:

As a side note, the colors mentioned in the DIY DFG are no longer in init.txt but in colors.txt.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 28, 2010, 08:06:16 pm »

This is strange...  Over puTTY from localhost, the formatting looks right, and I can resize the terminal and things are ok.

puTTY from my windows 7 box the lines end up being really askew.  I can't seem to set the right width to get reasonable display.  Is this a difference in the behavior of the clients? 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 28, 2010, 08:11:29 pm »

Check your fonts. You must use a fixed width font, or it won't look good at all.

You may be able to adjust the inter-character spacing to make it look better.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 28, 2010, 08:15:36 pm »

Mike; your tileset is working fine for me on 40d18 on 10.6.2 for over an hour; I pierced an aquifer and the only issue  I've seen is your decision to make the unmined dirt brown. ;)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 28, 2010, 08:24:26 pm »

For anyone who can't get it to work, I've uploaded a copy of DFG+Mac 18 here:

http://schnecke.bombcar.com/random/dfg_osx.tar.bz2

Anyone can rehost if they want.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 28, 2010, 08:38:29 pm »

FYI, bombcar, 5/7 of the posts on this page are from you... (before my post)

I'm getting the same weird background thing in OS 10.5. It works fine with a png I made a couple versions ago. It seems to be a transparency thing- my PNG uses magic pink for transparent, and the DFG one has an actual transparent thing.

If I open mayday.png and tell the GIMP to "remove alpha channel" then it works fine.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 28, 2010, 08:42:16 pm »

So for clarification, I'm creating my PNG graphics under Windows XP on a PC. I assume there are some compatibility problems between a Mac and a Windows PC regarding the PNG format?
so long as you're not using something like MSPaint.

Judging by the prior post, you're using MSPaint. It's a piece of junk. Saves you an alpha channel if you save as PNG, causing the pink to be interpreted as FG color.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 28, 2010, 08:48:27 pm »

There's no actual pink in the DFG PNG. It's correctly got a transparent background but DF isn't interpreting it right.

also, dfgpngdfgpngdfgpng
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 28, 2010, 08:52:40 pm »

it's just completely ignoring the BGcolor then?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 28, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »

I tried removing the alpha channel with Preview.app and Paintbrush.app and both made it worse if anything.

I've updated my download to incorporate a Dwarf Fortress.app folder and a pretty icon from here which uses art from Mike! The circle is complete.

If you want to, Baughn, you can use the details here to build the Mac OS X version; or I can write a "build" script for you that will package it up this way.

In theory, with a bit of work from Toady, the whole thing could be stuck in the Dwarf Fortress.app bundle, but that's probably not worth it.

Here's an example of weirdness from the movie:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:01:22 pm by bombcar »

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 28, 2010, 09:18:13 pm »

New minor issue. I created a Zoom location, F2, and hit n to change the name. I made a mistake typing the name, and hit backspace. Instead of deleting the previous character, it turned it into a little home plate symbol.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 28, 2010, 11:04:39 pm »

Macs and Linux are far superiour to PC's though.
Ok, for the triple price.  ;D

[/quote]

Agree'd. That's why I don't have a mac. Linux is still better :D

Back ontopic now, I promise.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 01, 2010, 12:37:01 am »

Hi all,
I was very happy to read about the new text mode incorporated into 40D18.
Being blind, I've wanted to play DF for quite a while now.  The text mode makes it possible for my ordinary Linux screen reader to at least make an attempt at parsing things.
I'm pleased to report that for the most part, I can read what I need to.  Embarking is possible, and the skills screen reads quite well.
The area I run into trouble is the maps.  I share the problem reported by several others here: my screen is overrun with M's and other nonsensicle characters.  I have a locale set for UTF-8, so theoretically this shouldn't be happening.
I believe, and I could be barking up the wrong tree here, that DF in curses mode is emitting characters in CP437 encoding.  This isn't typically used on Linux systems, but I figured out that if I changed the locale and font maps, the display's content changes radically.  From what a sighted friend tells me, it's much closer to what the screen should look like in the traditional OpenGL version.
So I'm a bit confused.  I'd hope whatever the problem is could be corrected, as I'd dearly love to have a slight chance of actually being able to play this game.
I realize even with the new text mode the chances of my actually being able to get anything meaningful out of the game are minimal, but I can dream, can't I?
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
All the best,
Zack.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25