Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 106016 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2010, 04:28:01 pm »

Malicus: GLView's database is not just out of date, it's basically useless. It claims older cards support extensions they just plain don't do.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2010, 05:11:40 pm »

Yay!  Got it working.  Getlibs solved my problem with the first lib, but couldn't find libjpeg8.  So I had to link that to 6.2. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2010, 05:13:50 pm »

Movies now fixed. Text-mode movies too. Not sure about the running out of color pairs issue.. how did that happen?

I was able to make it happen anytime I wanted by increasing the window size while the movie was playing. I'll try again with HEAD.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:00 pm »

The movie handled resizing correctly, and worked great! I did not get the color warning this time.

I did get "Display initialization failed, DF will crash if asked to use the screen." - but I was using ncurses and it worked fine (except for the unselected menu options still being black on black).

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2010, 05:24:45 pm »

Checking the "Use bright colors for bold text" option in Preferences - Settings - Text in Terminal.app made the unselected menu items appear.

The cursor is appearing; I think it probably should be hidden - I assume there's a way to turn it off. Some claim "Escape-[?25l" might work.

As a side note, Andale Mono 14 pt with Character Spacing and Line Spacing set to 1.0 looks pretty good.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2010, 05:34:57 pm »

I've got the cursor hidden in -head, so that's sorted. There's an ncurses call.

And yeah, bold text is supposed to be bright. I should save that information.. somewhere...

bombcar: You get that warning if it fails to initialize GTK, which happens if DISPLAY isn't set. As you've discovered, it's normally harmless.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2010, 05:50:07 pm »

Over SSH to a P4, I'm getting FPS: 100 (20) on embark. Is that as expected?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 27, 2010, 06:10:44 pm »

Well, sure. That's at your FPS cap.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 27, 2010, 06:21:38 pm »

interesting.  looks ok locally in terminal, but poo in putty via ssh 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2010, 06:22:19 pm »

Over SSH to a P4, I'm getting FPS: 100 (20) on embark. Is that as expected?
100 is your default FPS, 20 is the default graphical FPS.  The new version seems to display both, or at least it does in curses. 

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 27, 2010, 06:32:21 pm »

I've got a new 40d18-head up now that displays the old FPS counter as well, for your comparison porpoises. It's a lot more jumpy, but I'm not sure it's all that much less accurate overall; hopefully someone will tell me otherwise.

Anyway, it goes "FPS (G_FPS) / old_FPS".

(Download! Please, think of the porpoises!)

Admittedly, I haven't looked... But is there a HEAD version for Windows?
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2010, 06:37:54 pm »

No, -head is linux only.

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2010, 11:08:53 pm »

I managed to get the shift-arrow keys working on my machine by hacking on graphics lib. It looks like shift-left and shift-right are defined in curses so, I just used the existing define. Unfortunately shift-up and shift-down aren't recognized by curses in any of the terminals I tried (and don't seem to be specified by terminfo or termcap!), so I had to hard code the escape sequence for them to the one used by my terminal (but it works!). I suppose they could be made configurable if this sequence isn't portable, but I hope that's not necessary  :-\.
Spoiler: code modifications (click to show/hide)

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2010, 02:00:44 am »

Does the source code repo have a browsable interface (something like cvsweb or svnweb)?  I might be able to narrow it down by looking at the code.
http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-

There's no way this is the entire source code.  There's binary blobs stuffed into the repo all over the place; me tracking this bug down is basically impossible given that.  :-)
Making life hard for others since 1977.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2010, 02:30:49 am »

Does the source code repo have a browsable interface (something like cvsweb or svnweb)?  I might be able to narrow it down by looking at the code.
http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-

There's no way this is the entire source code.  There's binary blobs stuffed into the repo all over the place; me tracking this bug down is basically impossible given that.  :-)

It's the source for the graphics engine; DF itself, of course, is Toady's and a binary blob. All of Baughn's work is in g_src.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25