Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 106021 times)

Bergelmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2010, 05:03:55 am »

Ok, now I was able to test it on my Ubuntu 8.10. Compared with d17 the framerate is cut half. Could this be a result of a different FPS calculation?

All 3D modes move around 30 FPS, PARTIAL:5 is a bit faster and VBO is the fastest for me with ten more frames per second than the other modes. I think I am running a on board GMA3000 on an 965 Intel board.

By the way df was missing the libjpeg.so.8 and I had to link it again to the libs folder. Is this normal?

EDIT: Textmode is really fine with about 90 FPS. Only the font is not as nice as in the other modes. Is it possible to convert a tilset from png to a console font?

EDIT2: I think it was mentioned before, but I am not sure, therfore I will repeat it. Using SHIFT up or down arrow brings me into the macro menu. I am running df in a Gnome-Terminal.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:20:26 am by Bergelmir »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2010, 06:33:59 am »

Shift up/down is not supported in text mode (yet). I'm not sure it even can be, simultaneously with ctrl; as you see, it sends the same input as ctrl-l/s.  :-\

It's possible that the FPS appears to have fallen due to the FPS counter fix, but that does leave me in a bit of a pickle. I may have to revert that fix, just to leave benchmarks doable.. which would leave us using an FPS counter I know exaggerates the numbers.

Hm, or I could just insert both, and you'll get both the real number /and/ the old-style one. Yeah, I think I'll do that; can always remove the broken one again later.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2010, 06:36:16 am »

Yeah, my FPS seems to have dropped, so I guess it's the counter.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2010, 09:46:25 am »

Can you try in urxvt?

On Karmic, the problem persists in urxvt.  I forgot to try sshing from karmic to lenny.

koitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2010, 12:40:51 pm »

Code: [Select]
The Hill of Volcanos
ThThe Doused Land
Do you have an ATI video card?
It seems, that only happens with those kind.

Absolutely not.  I have a BFG 9800GT (BFGE981024GTGE), which is obviously an nVidia.

I have a hard time believing such a bug would happen only on a specific model of video card (despite ATI's known OpenGL bugs), especially given that smells of an engine printing text without properly clearing the previous framebuffer section first -- or, not filling the buffer used for strings with spaces before populating it.

I'll mess with PRINT_MODE to see if anything changes, in addition to trying original 40d to see it happens there.

EDIT: This bug doesn't happen with stock 40d.

EDIT2: Regarding PRINT_MODE -- this bug happens in all modes.  I tried 2D, 2DHW, 2DASYNC, STANDARD, ACCUM_BUFFER, and FRAME_BUFFER.  I did not test VBO or PARTIAL.

Does the source code repo have a browsable interface (something like cvsweb or svnweb)?  I might be able to narrow it down by looking at the code.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:57:20 pm by koitsu »
Making life hard for others since 1977.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2010, 01:14:09 pm »

Why don't i see the poll in the upper part of this topic? Is it my opera's bug or is it really absent?

Finis sanctificat media.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2010, 01:43:13 pm »

rdwulfe: Right, time to get to the bottom of this.

Try setting G_FPS to 1. That will obviously make the game mostly unplayable, but just.. see how that affects framerates. If it doesn't increase it all that much, I suspect the explanation is either something Toady did internally to make things work with d17/18, which will likely be fixed in DF'10 due to being rewritten. Alternately, it might be due to the fixed FPS counter.

If it does increase the framerate noticably.. okay, then something's up.

Ok, what the heck does that do? Umn, wow. FPS 600-800 (1)... I get it now, the 1st is the FPS, the 2nd is the graphical fps, IE how fast the game is actually running?  I like the new FPS counter, and it's in a much better position, wish I could port that back into d16! :D

d17 and d18 are both slower than d16 for me, so I tend to play with d16 and test things with d18. Apologies it took me so long to respond, Baughn. I hope this helps.

EDIT: That'll teach me not to preview my work. Oof.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:48:08 pm by rdwulfe »
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Ogantai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2010, 02:06:10 pm »

Does the source code repo have a browsable interface (something like cvsweb or svnweb)?  I might be able to narrow it down by looking at the code.
http://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2010, 04:58:11 pm »

Why don't i see the poll in the upper part of this topic? Is it my opera's bug or is it really absent?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just tried loading this topic in both Opera and IE8, and the poll results didn't show up (looking just like you're seeing) until after I logged in, at which point it looked like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you're not seeing it even while logged in, it's possible your user account has been configured to not allow participating in polls, whether by yourself or by an administrator.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:09:08 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2010, 05:06:41 pm »

Okay, I changed my tileset-from MaydayMIX to MaydayMAX-and suddenly my FPS drops like a stone.

Any particular reason?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2010, 05:14:18 pm »

As an experiment, I just tried running Reinhammers before and after changing G_FPS from 20 to 1, and the framerate went from 4 (4) to 9-10 (0-1) when using PARTIAL_PRINT:0 (the fastest mode for me).

By comparison, 40d ran at 9-10fps whether G_FPS was set to 1 or to 50 (the default). This is on a system with a 256MB Radeon X1300/X1550 card and a 3GHz Pentium D CPU - I'll test it on my main system (Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 512MB Geforce 8800GT) later.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2010, 06:18:49 pm »

Armok's fist: If the texture catalog ends up too large for the GPU, and has to be handled in software, that will happen.

rdwulfe: Does it actually /feel/ faster, or are you going only by the FPS counter?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »

I've done something that might fix the ncurses output.. orr~, it might cause it not to work at all.

Try -head, see what happens?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »

Testing Reinhammers on my main system (Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 512MB GF8800GT):

40d, PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:0, G_FPS_CAP:50 = 15-16fps
40d, PARTIAL_PRINT:YES:0, G_FPS_CAP:1 = 15-18fps

40d18, PARTIAL:0, G_FPS_CAP:20 = 11-13 (11-13)fps
40d18, PARTIAL:0, G_FPS_CAP:1 = 14-16 (0-1)fps

I also somehow got a case where BLACK_SPACE wasn't working properly for horizontal sizing - it was inserting black space on the top and bottom, but it was stretching horizontally to fill the window (I use NEAREST, so it was plainly obvious that tiles were being stretched); after restarting, though, it started behaving correctly.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2010, 08:53:49 pm »

Something is very weird with the delete keybindings for me. I realize I've said this before, but it's driving me insane. When I delete the entry for STRING_A000, which is what it's registered as by default, text entries are constantly deleted in-game. When I re-set it to delete (shown as U+7F), and try again, it creates mountain symbols where the last character was. From what I can tell, however, there is nothing overlapping with it in interface.txt (either BACKSPACE or U+7F).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:58:18 pm by John Keel »
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25