Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 106079 times)

mtsr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #150 on: February 24, 2010, 03:35:06 am »

There's one more thing I have to say about the sdl keybinds: I don't like that the key-names are spelled out everywhere. For example I use -/= and [/] for secondscroll, and it shows an annoying line like 'leftbracketrightbracketminusequals' in the game instead of '- = [ ]'.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2010, 03:50:36 am »

It's on my list.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Xerol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2010, 03:54:43 am »

A thought about the space/pause thing: Might the pause/unpause function be "catching" the keypress and actually pausing/unpausing at the same time as leaving the menu? It's not a double press, it's a double reaction.

Is there a particular reason the game no longer sleeps while paused? 40d13 would go to extremely low CPU usage when paused and balls-to-the-wall the rest of the time, and on my laptop to keep it from going into speedstepping I could just pause it for about 20 seconds every 5 minutes and it would keep the temperature reasonably low*. Now I have to exit out of the game entirely to cool down.

Haven't messed with most of the graphics options yet but in STANDARD I'm getting approximately the same rates (50-80ish at 20 dwarves cap, with GFPS capped at 10) as with 40d13. Core Duo 1.6, 2GB ram, Intel integrated graphics, WinXP.

*This actually lets me run the game faster overall, since if the CPU goes to speedstep mode I end up running at <2 fps until the CPU cools down.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2010, 04:30:36 am »

That was my first thought, but no, it's just that SDL and unicode translations of the same key-press didn't get the same serial code. Fixed now, at least in 40d18-head.

The game ought to be sleeping. If you were on Linux, I could test the theory.. but it sleeps here, at least.

mtsr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2010, 04:38:25 am »

It's on my list.

Thanks. Great work, btw, I don't think that's being said enough :).

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2010, 04:42:21 am »

Allright i guess thats my problem since i put a bunch of cats in a pit and was gonna drown them..Thanks :D.
Back on topic, uhh is there something i can do about the fps counter. It's pretty annonying when it jumps up to say 10 thousand FPS during my pause to do something and having to wait for it to come all the way down just to see my FPS...this is made more frustrating when i have alot of things going on and constant pauses happen.

PS: Game sleeps on my PC(windows 7(PC & Laptop))
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:48:19 am by Dabi »
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2010, 04:48:34 am »

..don't set the FPS limit to 10,000?

But seriously, no, there isn't much to be done. The game /does/ run much faster when paused, and the FPS counter reflects that.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2010, 04:50:35 am »

..don't set the FPS limit to 10,000?

But seriously, no, there isn't much to be done. The game /does/ run much faster when paused, and the FPS counter reflects that.
I just don't like to limit myself to a FPS. But I guess I'll just make it 100 since I'm not getting anything more mid-game...that's all my questions :P thanks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:53:02 am by Dabi »
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2010, 04:57:36 am »

But you're right, having the FPS counter jump like that is annoying, so I've now got three cells reserved for it.

It'll still look jumpy with four or five-digit FPSs, but I can't imagine those being useful for much other than benchmarking pause speeds. :P

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2010, 05:07:14 am »

But you're right, having the FPS counter jump like that is annoying, so I've now got three cells reserved for it.

It'll still look jumpy with four or five-digit FPSs, but I can't imagine those being useful for much other than benchmarking pause speeds. :P
I seriously don't know where else to ask as I'm new to the forums and mainly just browse alot for a while...do you suggest I open up a partition for linux for Dwarf Fortress? I mean from what I see you're doing updates for linux version so all fixes would suggest i set it up.(I havin't a issue with getting it running.) - Sorry if this isn't the spot and I'm spamming this topic with useless junk :(.

mtsr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2010, 05:11:30 am »

I just don't like to limit myself to a FPS. But I guess I'll just make it 100 since I'm not getting anything more mid-game...that's all my questions :P thanks.

Your monitor will limit you to a certain FPS, so you won't _really_ be getting anything higher then say 60 anyway (graphically anyway, the gamefps could be higher).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:19:20 am by mtsr »

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2010, 05:13:49 am »

Your monitor will limit you to a certain FPS, so you won't _really_ be getting anything higher then say 60 anyway.
Oh? I thought say...200 fps would make things go faster, i'd just see alot more skipping with the dwarfs since I can't see more than 27 or so frames per second anyway with my eyes(Off my head). Also is that say 60Hertz your mentioning?

-I'm now really confused that you edited, I guess it was a misunderstanding :)-
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:25:13 am by Dabi »

mtsr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2010, 05:21:14 am »

Oh? I thought say...200 fps would make things go faster, i'd just see alot more skipping with the dwarfs since I can't see more than 27 or so frames per second anyway with my eyes(Off my head). Also is that say 60Hertz your mentioning?

There's two kinds of FPS in the game, if you look at the config file. The graphics one is practically limited by the refresh rate of your monitor (and indeed your eyes, although 27Hz is a little on the low side, you'll see flickering and might get a headache). The game fps is the speed at which df processes and this is what makes the game speed up and the dwarves skip.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2010, 06:09:38 am »

Dabi: Well, it'd get you access to fixes sooner, but that's your call. I'd like to suggest Wubi if you're a linux newbie; that's pretty idiot-proof. :P

mtsr: Pretty sure it was game fps (not graphical) he was referring to in the first place. :P

Oh, and I've capped G_FPS to 50 in the d18-head, just to avoid the common source of trouble where someone sets it higher than the refresh rate.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2010, 06:13:32 am »

Dabi: Well, it'd get you access to fixes sooner, but that's your call. I'd like to suggest Wubi if you're a linux newbie; that's pretty idiot-proof. :P

mtsr: Pretty sure it was game fps (not graphical) he was referring to in the first place. :P

Oh, and I've capped G_FPS to 50 in the d18-head, just to avoid the common source of trouble where someone sets it higher than the refresh rate.
Yeahhhh...lasttime i was using linux(a while back) i thought about making a partition...I went great this is easy and so i thought it was formatting the "new" partition I was making. I noticed it said i had a clean harddrive but i was still using the harddrive so i thought something was up. Restarted it and it turns out i whiped my harddrive. Including my windows partition...and I'm no scientist so i can't recreate what was lost.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25