Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D/2DHW and STANDARD, how is 40d18 compared to 40d?

Faster, no problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18  (Read 106006 times)

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d18
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2010, 01:54:46 pm »

I'm running on a 2GHZ Athlon with 2Gigs of memory, and an on-board ATI X200 graphics chipset. Windows XP 32bit.

In D16 I could easily break 130 fps with 7 dwarves... Around 200 got me down to 15 or so fps, and 80 dwarves ran around 60-70, which is quite playable. I've just downloaded d18, and am finding that the starting menu runs at around 80fps with 2DHW turned on, Standard seems to run a bit slower. With the starting 7 dwarves, it's running at 40-50 fps... Not a good sign. I'll test it some more, once I get a fort up to 80 or so dwarves.. But I think I'll use d16 to get to that point.

I did not run d17 much, because it too was slower for me. d16 had a sweet spot when it came to speed, for my system. I've experienced no other problems, but I only got it running about an hour ago. Every graphics mode I've tried has worked. (2D, 2DHW, and Standard)
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »

Krythorne: I appreciate the thought, but I think people using ATI cards would be better off with standard mode. The older code-paths have less to go wrong, to the point where some ATI users are clamoring for me to reinstate the immediate-mode rendering path.

rdwulfe: Right, time to get to the bottom of this.

Try setting G_FPS to 1. That will obviously make the game mostly unplayable, but just.. see how that affects framerates. If it doesn't increase it all that much, I suspect the explanation is either something Toady did internally to make things work with d17/18, which will likely be fixed in DF'10 due to being rewritten. Alternately, it might be due to the fixed FPS counter.

If it does increase the framerate noticably.. okay, then something's up.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:03:07 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2010, 02:02:35 pm »

Guebstrike: Good to hear. Don't forget the built-in macro function either, which you'll find useful for some things.

I really thought I had stopped the double-typing, though. But "naming saves"? What exactly are you doing that makes it go bad - how do I reproduce it?

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:08 pm »

I really thought I had stopped the double-typing, though. But "naming saves"? What exactly are you doing that makes it go bad - how do I reproduce it?

Start a new fortress. Before you embark, save your skill/gear setup. As you are typing the name of the file you should occasionally get double letters.  It's not unplayable, but it seems to be very sensitive.

Also, the 1 g_fps_cap worked for my 2D fps issue. With g_fps:1 I get about 60-70 fps in 2D versus the usual 9 ( 9 ) with g_fps_cap:20.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2010, 02:22:58 pm »

I've committed a patch which serves to remove the FPS cap entirely if it's set to 0.. seemed convenient, and it does give a slight increase, actually.

For comparison, I get 550FPS on embark on this laptop. Pretty much regardless of graphics mode; with G_FPS=20, it appears to not matter very much. 2D modes are slower, but not by that much - still ~500FPS.

Is that very unusual? It's a perfectly common core 2; not even the latest generation hardware.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2010, 02:29:44 pm »

Double-typing is not reproducible here. Going to try windows next. Anyone else see it on linux?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2010, 02:32:38 pm »

Guebstrike: On a 7800GS, standard mode should be pretty much indistinguishable from having no output at all as far as speed goes. That is to say, really fast.

Hate to ask, but do other opengl games work fine for you?

Krythorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2010, 02:44:27 pm »

Krythorne: I appreciate the thought, but I think people using ATI cards would be better off with standard mode. The older code-paths have less to go wrong, to the point where some ATI users are clamoring for me to reinstate the immediate-mode rendering path.
I have to confess that even on some Nvidia chipsets (My laptops 9500M) I've never been able to get VBO's working better then immediate mode. However on the ATI card I tested the VBO performance was actually a lot better then the immediate mode performance once I got it exactly how the ATI card liked it.
I've still got the test code and that particular ATI card too, if you like I can have a go at making a similar non-interleaved situation of 4 buffers and try it both aligned and non-aligned to 32 bytes to see how much of a difference it makes. Actually I'll probably end up doing it anyway just to learn a little more about performance quirks!

Bergelmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2010, 02:52:39 pm »

Hm, it is not running for me on Ubutu 8.10. I linked my libjpeg.so into the libs folder as libjpeg.so.8, as I did it for d17. But I get the following error:
Code: [Select]
./dwarfort.exe: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62: no version information available (required by /home/xxx/Desktop/dwarffortress/df_linux/libs/libtiff.so.4)
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
Error: Dimensions set to zero, aborting opengl initialization
Error: Dimensions set to zero, aborting opengl initialization
render called without gl being initialized

Is a newer version of libjpeg neccessary than 62?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2010, 03:13:54 pm »

STANDARD mode ran about ~30-50 fps for me on the title screen, so I tried PARTIAL:0 and now I'm stuck right at the FPS cap of 100 during play and at the title screen.

Toshiba Satellite PRO P300-011 Notebook
Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2x 2.53Ghz
4 GBytes RAM (~3.5GBytes addressable)
1066Mhz FSB
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 ("Driver Version: 8.477.0.0"...  Does that mean I'm on a really outdated Catalyst driver?)
Vista Business 32
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2010, 03:17:26 pm »

Re: the libopenal issue - I have the same problem on Debian Sid amd64, it's caused by the fact that we don't get 32bit versions of all these libraries.

I fixed it on Debian sid by going through the following rather annoying process:

- Find i386 version of <package> on http://packages.debian.org/de/squeeze/i386/<package>/download
- Download file.
- Extract in some directory via dpkg -x <file> <destdir>

I did this for <package> in:

libflac8
libgdbm3
libogg0
libopenal1
libsdl-image1.2
libsndfile1
libvorbis0a
libvorbisenc2
libwrap0

Then, I moved the entire contents of <destdir>/usr/lib and <destdir>/lib to the libs folder of my d18 directory and had a running DF.

DFa4_anon

• Escaped Lunatic
  • legendary robber of caravans
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2010, 03:18:13 pm »

I use fully transparent tileset in my game (.png transparent, not with magenta).
In 40d18 with 2D, 2DHW, 2DASYNC and any other setting - it looks too bad (in 40d17 was the same thing).
But STANDART mode looks normal (if slowdown of FPS is normal)..

ps. DF runs at
ATI Radeon 5770 (with catalyst 10.1 / default settings)
Core2Duo E8600 3.0GHz
WinXP SP3 (x86)
2GB RAM

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2010, 03:22:43 pm »

I use fully transparent tileset in my game (.png transparent, not with magenta).
In 40d18 with 2D, 2DHW, 2DASYNC and any other setting - it looks too bad (in 40d17 was the same thing).

"Any other setting"?  Does that mean it looks bad with d18 PARTIAL_PRINT too?

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2010, 03:26:32 pm »

I'm taking 16 credits of science, math and engineering this semester so I apologize if I'm repeating known issues.

On a Mac Mini (10.5.6 1.8ghz, 2Gb) with graphics (sphr with the flying mage font if anyone cares) in windowed mode.
I'd estimate this version is almost twice the speed I had with d12.
I haven't experienced any graphics issues in the hour or so it's been running so far. But I haven't tried any of the zoom type stuff (I'll wait until it zooms the map and leaves the menu as is.)

Problems I did have:
1. Trading defaults to F9, which conflicts with standard Mac keybindings.
2. the backspace key doesn't work when naming hotkeys, it puts up a symbol instead.
3. I turned on the pause on load and autosave but it pauses at everything. If I build a building it's in pause when I come out. If I check to see if my trader is finally coming, it pauses when I exit. A lot of the time I'm looking at a paused screen waiting not realizing that the game stopped.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Deozaan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »

Hello. I like to export my local images every season and upload my maps to the DF Map Archive. I've noticed that exporting local images is broken-ish. That is, it only works when the game is running fullscreen. It never works in windowed mode.

This is on a Windows 7 desktop & laptop (64 bit and 32 bit), and my brother is experiencing the same thing on multiple PCs as well.

Thanks for your work and efforts!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25